Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water Heater Relay

My water heater circuit (120 volt side) is stuck in the "on" position. It started out the light on the switch was intermittent when the switch was turned on. Now the light will not turn on at all, but checking the outlet down at the water heater, it's hot all the time, even with the switch off.

The back of the water heater is accessed through 2 plastic doors inside one of the full pass through compartments. The romex comes out of the box where the heater plugs in and disappears into the abyss.

Anyone know what the relay looks like and where they mounted it?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #2

Brand?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a wiring schematic, it may show it there, mine does.

The 12V/120V relay for my water heater is mounted in a small 6"X6" electrical box mounted behind the main electrical breaker box. It is labeled Ormon Relay Box on the wiring schematic and shows the 2 relays.

I was trouble shooting a problem with my Intellitec EMS and saw the box and opened it up, there were 2 relays, one for the water heater and one for the block engine heater. One of the relays had burnt terminals, I replaced the wire spad ends. I then contacted Monaco about getting a relay, they didn't have any in stock so they gave me the part number and I ordered one to carry as a spare.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
My water heater circuit (120 volt side) is stuck in the "on" position. It started out the light on the switch was intermittent when the switch was turned on. Now the light will not turn on at all, but checking the outlet down at the water heater, it's hot all the time, even with the switch off.

The back of the water heater is accessed through 2 plastic doors inside one of the full pass through compartments. The romex comes out of the box where the heater plugs in and disappears into the abyss.

Anyone know what the relay looks like and where they mounted it?
There is no relay. The outlet is always hot.

The control is through the water heater control board. The light not working is likely a bad switch bulb, they fail all the time.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
There is no relay. The outlet is always hot.

The control is through the water heater control board. The light not working is likely a bad switch bulb, they fail all the time.
What threw me was the light was intermittent for a while. I'll take the switch apart for the bulb issue.

So maybe my only issue is a bulb. Wouldn't that be nice for a change.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Do you have a wiring schematic, it may show it there, mine does.

The 12V/120V relay for my water heater is mounted in a small 6"X6" electrical box mounted behind the main electrical breaker box. It is labeled Ormon Relay Box on the wiring schematic and shows the 2 relays.

I was trouble shooting a problem with my Intellitec EMS and saw the box and opened it up, there were 2 relays, one for the water heater and one for the block engine heater. One of the relays had burnt terminals, I replaced the wire spad ends. I then contacted Monaco about getting a relay, they didn't have any in stock so they gave me the part number and I ordered one to carry as a spare.
I checked the wiring diagram. Nothing regarding a relay. As mentioned, it might be in the water heater itself. I'll be checking it out.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
They may have changed the way they wire the system as mine does seem to be complicated. The only advantage is you are using a low voltage circuit to provide power to the WH.

The switch for my water heater is located on the base cabinet of the kitchen counter next to a water pump switch. My switch quite working so I started to trouble shoot and ultimately found and inline fuse right behind the switch in the cabinet, hard to see but it was there, an automotive blade type fuse.

Good luck, let us know what your final resolution is.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't had time to dig into this yet. Are the bulbs in the switch replaceable? It can't be very big
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #9
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
These switches don’t cost that much. Finding one that looks the same will be the issue, and maybe one rated for a higher voltage, since motorhomes can tend to have wider operating ranges....
Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I haven't had time to dig into this yet. Are the bulbs in the switch replaceable? It can't be very big
They are only replaceable if you are really good with electronics! They are soldered in, small 12V 'grain-o-wheat' bulbs. I have replaced several with LEDs but it is not an easy task.

The switch/control circuits are 12V. The electric heating element is controlled by the controller board in the water heater. This is because the heating element must be cycled based on the water heater demand. I can post a schematic of the water heater hookup if necessary, but that outlet for the electric element is live all the time (unless cut-off by an EMS load relay at the breaker box).
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #11

IF.......(brand/model not posted) but IF this is a gas/electric ATWOOD
Common fused 12VDC source is used for power to on/off switches then to control board. 120VAC to element is triggered via a DC/AC Relay which is located on backside of water heater tank under the protective cover ----also where the element is located

ATWOOD wiring scheme'

IF-----(brand/model not posted) but IF this is a SUBURBAN 'DEL' Model it uses 12VDC for control of electric/propane heating
120VAC to element is triggered by a DC/AC Relay which is located in junction box on side of water heater tank

Here is the DC/AC Wiring schemes for the 'DEL' Model

Course none/some of this may not apply based on how RV MFG wired things
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
It is an Atwood water heater, so thanks OB for the schematic. Maybe it's the 12 volt fuse you mention. I'm going to dive into it this weekend. If it's a burnt out bulb, more than likely I'll just get a new switch if I can find them. It's got to be exact match as It's in a panel with several other like switches all in a row.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgl View Post
These switches don’t cost that much. Finding one that looks the same will be the issue, and maybe one rated for a higher voltage, since motorhomes can tend to have wider operating ranges....
Hey Rich. Good to hear from you.

I'm with you, finding the same may be the issue. But you know how us Windsor owners are.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #14
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Rich. Good to hear from you.

I'm with you, finding the same may be the issue. But you know how us Windsor owners are.

Possible source:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/JR-Pr...-p/19-1874.htm

There was a post in the last year about these. My switch is “light challenged” but the water heater still works. Also one of the lights from the water pump switch is intermittent. This may be a side effect of equalizing batteries?!

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater