Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 05:18 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water hose recommendation

I'm looking to replace the drinking water hose on my automatic hose reel and would like a recommendation.

Is the factory hose 1/2" or 5/8"? Anyway I'm looking for durability, flexibility and odor free.

Finally, if I just splice it to the old hose to avoid taking the water bay apart, will I regret it?
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just went thru this a couple weeks ago. Might want to search for my posts.

I called the people that now make the reel, and they said they are using the 1/2" 'Flex-Tech' hose. I ordered the 50 ft version, as the reel holds about 40ft, and cut off the extra. Based on my report, bruceisla also bought one.

From the start, the water had a very 'chemically' smell/taste which we decided after a couple days was too nasty to keep using. Bruce found the same thing, and suggested soaking the inside with a vinegar solution.

I ended up buying the Valterra hose from Home Depot, while Bruce installed a charcoal filter and said it's fine now. I'll probably install a filter so I can go back to using the Flex-Tech hose, as it seems very rugged compared to the others I've seen.

You can sue 5/8", but it means less on the reel. You can splice into what's left on the reel, too, but that means you still have an old piece of hose being used. The joint may inhibit reeling too, maybe.

Hope this helps
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I ended up with 30' of 1/2" from rvfilterstore.com. I could have probably fit 40' on there. A little chemical smell and taste that went away. The taste and smell wasn't even close to that of the name brand hoses at the rv store. This was the 3rd hose in about 5 months. No smell or taste now, heavy duty with SS fitting. About $80 for 30'.

Oh, I started with 5/8" because I thought that is what it took. Could barely get the 25' hose on the reel.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
CaptJake, did you have to cut off a fitting to secure. the hose to the reel? Also, what about this hose makes it worth he money?

Gentlemen, I appreciate both of your responses.....many Thank!
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #5

Back in April of 2013, I ordered a replacement from Glendinning's Online Store. It included the spool with the hose attached.

The plusses, there were no fittings or modifications to hinder spooling in and out, it was a perfect match to what was in there before, and I ended up with a great installation, like new.

The minuses, it was $154.35, there was some work to get the old one out and the new one in (though less of a hassle than I thought it would be), and I needed to purchase a pretty large socket to get the old spool out of the rest of the assembly.

Since I replaced it, I have made it a practice to wrap one or two pieces of pipe foam insulation on the hose, as needed, if I am going to be parked for extended periods with the hose in the sun. Hopefully that will keep it in good shape for much longer. We spend between 40% and 45% of our time in our coach, so it is getting pretty steady use, and the replacement hose still looks like new. The original had become a bit brownish in color and stiff from the exposure to the sun.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #6

FYI - I just went to the website on my receipt, and it is still valid. It comes as an assembly with the reel and 35' of ½" hose. The price is $132.00 plus shipping. When I bought mine five years ago, it was $128.00 plus shipping. The web site is:

Store
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
CaptJake, did you have to cut off a fitting to secure. the hose to the reel? Also, what about this hose makes it worth he money?

Gentlemen, I appreciate both of your responses.....many Thank!
You spec out the fittings you want or dont. I had the single female installed. The other end is clamped.
Worth it? After I spent nearly that same amount on the previous hoses I figured it was..... though if the flex tech performs like others say.....
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Also, what about this hose makes it worth he money?
x2 for the hoses from rvwaterfilerstore.com. They are flexible, rugged and don't have a significant odor or taste.

I did not buy their hoses for non-potable water service.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water