RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #1

Water in engine air intake & filter

Good afternoon to all. Going to ask if anyone with a 01 Windsor has ever had rain water in the flex tubing that goes from the high intake at the top back of the coach down into the engine air filter. Had some HEAVY pour downs here in the Seattle area last week. More in one day than I can remember for around here. Decided to open the rear engine access door on the back of the coach just to inspect. Saw water dripping out of where the flex tube attaches to the air filter. Has always been a small rust line on the bottom of the air filter neck where the flex tube attaches, but after a rain, never saw water dripping. Removed clamp on tubing and pulled back off the air filter neck and about 4 ounces of water ran out of the flex tube. Also the bottom of the air filter for about 6 inches inside looks wet. The small water escape tube next to the flex tube that attaches to the pipe that goes up to the top air intake was not clogged. I always assumed that the small water escape tube was to divert any water that got into the intake would exit out that tube. The way the rear air intake is designed, I can't imagine water running uphill and down into that air intake tube at the top back of the coach. Anyone out there have experienced this? Even if water got through the 3 rear clearance lights, it would run out through the perforated grill cover. At this time, it's got me stumped. Thanks for any reply's in advance. I have seen a few years of Dynasty's and Windsor's with this intake design.

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #2

Our MH has a similar intake setup. There is a duckbill drain on the bottom of the initial intake plastic housing that is attached to the intake grill at top left corner of the MH to allow water to drain away. Of course my picture is upside-down.
If you air filter has gotten wet, I advise changing it NOW!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Good afternoon to all. Going to ask if anyone with a 01 Windsor has ever had rain water in the flex tubing that goes from the high intake at the top back of the coach down into the engine air filter. Had some HEAVY pour downs here in the Seattle area last week. More in one day than I can remember for around here. Decided to open the rear engine access door on the back of the coach just to inspect. Saw water dripping out of where the flex tube attaches to the air filter. Has always been a small rust line on the bottom of the air filter neck where the flex tube attaches, but after a rain, never saw water dripping. Removed clamp on tubing and pulled back off the air filter neck and about 4 ounces of water ran out of the flex tube. Also the bottom of the air filter for about 6 inches inside looks wet. The small water escape tube next to the flex tube that attaches to the pipe that goes up to the top air intake was not clogged. I always assumed that the small water escape tube was to divert any water that got into the intake would exit out that tube. The way the rear air intake is designed, I can't imagine water running uphill and down into that air intake tube at the top back of the coach. Anyone out there have experienced this? Even if water got through the 3 rear clearance lights, it would run out through the perforated grill cover. At this time, it's got me stumped. Thanks for any reply's in advance. I have seen a few years of Dynasty's and Windsor's with this intake design.
my '06 has the same design. Never had an issue. Will be interested to see what you find.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #4

Thanks Ray and Bill for your response. Yes, I know the filter needs to be changed. I just wonder how long this has been going on as I acquired the coach in August of 15. I have not changed the filter yet. This is the first time I have seen water dripping from the area mentioned. The coach is in storage so will not be using it anytime soon. Before a new filter, I would like to know how the water is getting in there. Will try tomorrow getting up on a ladder for an inspection up top. Will report my findings, if there are any. If anyone else has had this happen, please let me know. Thanks again!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:22 AM   #5

my duckbill drain may be accessed via the engine access door. One time is was clogged with dead bugs, I squeezed it,bugs fell out but no water.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Thanks Ray and Bill for your response. Yes, I know the filter needs to be changed. I just wonder how long this has been going on as I acquired the coach in August of 15. I have not changed the filter yet. This is the first time I have seen water dripping from the area mentioned. The coach is in storage so will not be using it anytime soon. Before a new filter, I would like to know how the water is getting in there. Will try tomorrow getting up on a ladder for an inspection up top. Will report my findings, if there are any. If anyone else has had this happen, please let me know. Thanks again!
I forgot to mention this earlier. A couple of years ago, when I changed out the air filter, I noticed a hole had rubbed through the air intake tube that hangs down and feeds the air filter. It was in the back of the intake hose and hard to see. From the vibration, it had rubbed against a bracket holding the rear tail light. I can't imagine how water would get in that way, but thought I'd mention it.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #7

How big is the rubbed thru hole? If it isn't too big you may buy a blank trophy plaque with sticky on the back, clean the metal down-pipe with alcohol, let it dry then apply the trophy plaque over the hole; the plaque will bend.

If the down-pipe is rubber/neoprene, use RESCUE tape to wrap it.
Either way, eliminate the source of the rubbing too.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
buy a blank trophy plaque .
Trophy plaque? That sounds very specific
Old 12-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
How big is the rubbed thru hole? If it isn't too big you may buy a blank trophy plaque with sticky on the back, clean the metal down-pipe with alcohol, let it dry then apply the trophy plaque over the hole; the plaque will bend.

If the down-pipe is rubber/neoprene, use RESCUE tape to wrap it.
Either way, eliminate the source of the rubbing too.
Mine isn't sheet metal, it's about 7-8" dia flexible hose, similar to a dryer vent, but much heavier. It rubbed against part of the tail light assembly. It's all fixed and been fine for several years.

The only reason I brought it up is if 8.3's set up is similar. My water drain from the upper air intake grill goes straight down along the air intake hose. The drain hose is about 1" and does not have any duck bill tip, just open at the end. If this drain tube happened to terminate above where the rubbing had occurred, I could see some water getting into the air intake tubing.

I know this is a long shot, but that's the only way I can see water getting into the air intake hose unless the upper air diverter is defective some how..
Old 01-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pulled my intake screen today to take a look in there (mine is attached with 4 Robertson screws).
It would be difficult for rain to enter the intake tube thru there. The top of the intake pipe is about 10-12" above the top row of holes in the intake screen.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Pulled my intake screen today to take a look in there (mine is attached with 4 Robertson screws).
It would be difficult for rain to enter the intake tube thru there. The top of the intake pipe is about 10-12" above the top row of holes in the intake screen.
Ben,

My upper intake is the same.

What material was used for the ducting from the upper intake down to where it's connected to your air filter?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have driven in the rain on the west side and in heavy traffic between the rain and road spray it is almost impossible for any air intake system especially a big diesel motor to get dry air. I have found water even in the air filter housing on my pickup. Especially on I-5 and I-90 where their is 4 or more lanes of traffic, it is almost impossible to see the road you just follow the rear of the rig in front of you and hope for the best...
The duck bill rubber does help with water and dirt, and your filter will catch and absorb the rest of the moisture. Most filters can take this getting wet and drying out abuse, but if the paper element looks degraded enough just replace it with a new one..
I am betting there is nothing wrong with your air system just an extreme environmental event that you experienced.. Similar to the dust storms on the east side of the state, your filter is going to get full of dirt doing what it is designed to do in a short amount of time. JMHO Doug.
flamebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Ben,

My upper intake is the same.

What material was used for the ducting from the upper intake down to where it's connected to your air filter?
Black flexible duct hose.

Haven't found any holes.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Black flexible duct hose.

Haven't found any holes.
I'm puzzled.

Maybe it is just from moisture and humidity in the air.

Tags
air, engine, water