Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

Water Leak

Two days of steady rain bring another new experience ------water leak appears to be entering the exterior wall at slide roofline. We notice dampness on wall panel immediately above the rear window of our forward curbside slide. The moisture then appears to follow the window frame and exit at the base of the frame, to the lower panelling.
This is the Curbside "Dinette Slide" on our 2006 Camelot 40 PAQ.
Raining too hard at the moment to inspect slide roofline (beneath topper awning), but I'm guessing that the water might be draining off the slide roof to the outside molding which projects above the roofline ---------then, somehow finds a way into the wall????
Has anyone else experienced a similar occurance? Not having closely inspected that area, might it be as simple as re-sealing roofling at outside molding (This molding I mention is the one extends beyond/seals the opening when slide is retracted).
Might I have to remove slide topper awning to achieve this? Seems "awkward" ------a two man job, on a dry day????
Or, does someone have a better solution to offer?
Thanks in advance
Rudy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rudy, on mine and a couple others, the water was entering at the upper back edge of the slide. There is a piece of white "C" channel that frames in the inner wall and outer wall on the top and both sides of the slide out opening. Water gets into this channel by running down the exterior wall and into the channel. Once it's in the channel, it either drips off the front or rear of the slide and runs down the outside of the slide wall and onto the carpet when in and slightly less when out. The water can also wick up the interior of the wall where the "C" channel is protecting/covering it.

One thing to try, slope the motor home, nose up or nose down and see if it stops. Usually, lifting the nose up will stop it. On mine, the repair was to go to the exterior upper corner at the rear of the slide and make sure the rubber gasket is glued down. If you look closely behind the gasket you'll see the outer edge of the white "C" channel. Make sure the top of this channel is sealed at both ends with silicone. This is often where the water seeps in where the "C" channel meets the fiberglass exterior.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You can use Eternabond or any caulking that is NOT silicone caulking. Silicone just is not good for RV roofs or pretty much anywhere but inside the bathroom on an RV.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #4

I've retracted the slide for now -------seems to have diminished the migration.
When we get 'er back home, I'll check out your suggestions.
Enough of the "C" channel is visible/accessible from the ends of the slide (topper awning)???
Thanks
Rudy
Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My '06 Camelot PDQ had a real nasty leak on the front streetside slide that caused water to come down the inside of the top edge of the window frame. Ended up being a gap on the slide roof just where the outside edge of roof and the inside of the outer wall join. The sealant had bubbled up slightly and separated just a little bit. When I pulled it loose there was a big gap allowing a lot of water to go down inside the wall. I had removed the inside window frame when investigating it and found where the water was leaking through the inside of the wall.

I've also had both bedroom slides leaking at the bottom front and rear corners, soaking the carpet during all but mild rainstorms. I've tried everything to determine exactly where and how the water is getting in. So far I haven't accomplished it. I've spoken with Monaco Tech Support and there answer was, and I guote, "Monaco has given up on trying to keep water from getting in behind the seals, they've decided to just design a way to redirect any water that does get in by diverting it back out."

Their suggestion was to take it to a service center. Since we were in Florida this early spring we stopped at Alliance Coach in Lakewood, Florida and they replaced all four wiper seals and resealed every joint on all the slides, not only on top but on the ends and outsides. They also reinforced the bottom of the floors of the two bedroom slides where the rollers were digging into the fiberglass a little. They used wide strips of stainless steel with a sticky backing to beef up the fiberglass Granted my rubber wiper seals were in pretty bad shape, dryed out and cracked, meaning they did need replacing. So after $5, 000.00 in parts and labor, it took them from Monday morning until noon on Friday to do the work, but guess what the bedroom slides still leak.

Basically I see a really poor design on Monaco's slide system, regarding the sealing of said slides. If you look at the bottom of their slides there is no seal at all. Only a wiper blade seal.

I doubt that I'll be able to ever buy another motorhome, but if something changes and I'm able to Monaco will not be in my list of choices.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006camelot View Post
Two days of steady rain bring another new experience ------water leak appears to be entering the exterior wall at slide roofline. We notice dampness on wall panel immediately above the rear window of our forward curbside slide. The moisture then appears to follow the window frame and exit at the base of the frame, to the lower panelling.
This is the Curbside "Dinette Slide" on our 2006 Camelot 40 PAQ.
Raining too hard at the moment to inspect slide roofline (beneath topper awning), but I'm guessing that the water might be draining off the slide roof to the outside molding which projects above the roofline ---------then, somehow finds a way into the wall????
Has anyone else experienced a similar occurance? Not having closely inspected that area, might it be as simple as re-sealing roofling at outside molding (This molding I mention is the one extends beyond/seals the opening when slide is retracted).
Might I have to remove slide topper awning to achieve this? Seems "awkward" ------a two man job, on a dry day????
Or, does someone have a better solution to offer?
Thanks in advance
Rudy
I think Don may be referencing the same problem I have noted and repaired on our coach. The rubber seal that is attached to the slide opening on the coach, not the slide, must make two 90 degree bends. One at each top corner. Inspect these closely for openings or gaps in the corner where the radius of the rubber bends. One of our bedroom slides would only leak when the slide was open and there was significant rain fall. Turns out there was an opening large enough for me to stick my finger into at one of the corners. Filled it with chalk and problem solved.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #7

Modified Sealing?

Thanks Bob
In addition to the leak referred to above, I noticed that the rear roadside slide leaked a bit while closed.
When I looked at how tightly/loosely the face of the slide sealed against the body of the Coach, I suspected there may be room for some water to migrate inside.
I looked for, and found some flat, roughly 3/16x5/8" self-adhesive gasketing at our local RV Dealer. This I installed as follows: I extended the slide, then applied the gasketing all around the opening on the Coach. Now, the OEM seal affixed to the slide meets the supplemental seal/gasket I applied around the face of the opening. So far, so good.
Again ------Thanks for sharing
Rudy

Tags
leak, water