Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water Leak and Slide Problem

2012 Diplomat 43DFT new to me last week. It started raining and sleeting today and I went in the coach and noticed water next to passenger seat where the cupholder and switches are located. I looked up and saw water dripping from cabinet that houses the Blu-ray player. I then opened the cabinet above the door and it looks like that is where it’s starting to leak and then running along cabinet and leaking.

When I push on the ceiling panel on the passenger side near the side wall, it is like a sponge. Water oozes out. I tried to remove the thin plastic strip moulding that joins the ceiling panels together and was unsuccessful. Ended up breaking it.

So this leads to a couple of questions.

1. Any idea where this leak might be coming from?
2. What is the trick to removing the strip moulding?

Also, the driver side slide got all jacked when I tried to retract it. It was twisted and higher on one side. It actually gouged some of the trim. Not sure why it did this, but I extended it and then successfully retracted it.

Should I start a new thread with this problem, or keep it with the leak thread.

Needless to say, I’m not feeling real good about my purchase at this point.
Dandick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like the seller knew exactly what the problems were
and wanted to dump it rather than fix.
Could become a very expensive repair.

Sorry to hear of this, Greater reason to make sure you get
all the service records when you buy, or a 30 day warranty
if you buy from a dealer.

Try contacting the (dealer/person) you bought it from.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandick View Post
2012 Diplomat 43DFT new to me last week. It started raining and sleeting today and I went in the coach and noticed water next to passenger seat where the cupholder and switches are located. I looked up and saw water dripping from cabinet that houses the Blu-ray player. I then opened the cabinet above the door and it looks like that is where it’s starting to leak and then running along cabinet and leaking.

When I push on the ceiling panel on the passenger side near the side wall, it is like a sponge. Water oozes out. I tried to remove the thin plastic strip moulding that joins the ceiling panels together and was unsuccessful. Ended up breaking it.

So this leads to a couple of questions.

1. Any idea where this leak might be coming from?
2. What is the trick to removing the strip moulding?

Also, the driver side slide got all jacked when I tried to retract it. It was twisted and higher on one side. It actually gouged some of the trim. Not sure why it did this, but I extended it and then successfully retracted it.

Should I start a new thread with this problem, or keep it with the leak thread.

Needless to say, I’m not feeling real good about my purchase at this point.
I would do separate threads for separate issues. I've seen owners with quite a few threads going at the same time, all different issues but the same coach. When people scan through the thread titles, you'll get better results/answers. Your thread title is important. you want to describe the problem, short but to the point.

As far as the leak above passenger seat, I know that people have had issues where the door awning is connected. Water collects above it and gets inside. Look closely at that. Maybe pull awning off and re-seal.

Sorry, not familiar with the strip molding. Maybe post a picture?

as far as the slide, it sounds like something got caught under the slide. Is that slide a flush floor type?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Also check the seal around the clearance lights. I would also give a good look at the seal where the front cap joins the roof. But I think Bill may be correct on the front door awning.

As to the slide not sure what happened but Monaco's slides work best when the coach is set for Travel mode and not all twisted from leveling.

I think the leak will be an easy fix, the slide without seeing it could be simple or a little involved.

These are pretty good coaches so don;t loose faith to quickly.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #5

Good evening Dan; Sorry to hear about your water leak. I don't know about the molding, but you might try putting a search in at the top right of the page to see if you can get any info on how to remove it. On the water leak, water has a great habit of coming in one place and going out in another. I just have a couple of ideas as I am sure others here will chime in with more info. By any chance do any antenna cables coming in from the roof on the passenger side? I had a leak around the coax from the sat. dish in my right front cabinet where my switching box is located. When dry I used some non leveling Dicor around the cables and no more leak. On my 01 Windsor the front caps and the roof are joined and fiber glassed together, no seem. I think on the Diplomat the roof sits over the front cap and has a sealer on the seem. I was talking to a Monaco dealer back in 02 and he told me that they had several coaches that the roof seem to cap was not sealed at the factory. Said a customer took delivery of a brand new coach and when the first rain came it went between the roof and front cap into the cabinets. Said Monaco sent 2 techs. out from the factory to tear out all the front cabinet's to fix the leak and reinstall all new cabinet's. Sorry I don't have any info on your slide. I would do some searching like Windsorbill mentioned. Hope this gives you a place to start.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions. I will start another thread for the slide problem, but I think Traps90 might have hit on something. I have the coach in park mode and my driveway definitely is not level.

As far as the water leak, when I open the cabinet door above the step well, it is wet at the top where the side meets the top. That is where I tried to remove the piece of strip moulding. The ceiling material is some kind of vinyl over a foam/sponge. Well, that foam/sponge soaked up a ton of water. This point is 21 inches above the top of the door. Once the temp gets above freezing today, I will get on my ladder and see where 21 inches above the door takes me. I realize the leak might start higher or more towards the front or rear, but at least it won’t be lower. I’m hoping that it is the awning, but not sure how high above the door it is. The satellite antenna cables do run through the roof near there, too.

If there’s any upside to this, it’s the fact that we don’t have rain (or snow) in the forecast for at least the next week. It stopped raining/sleeting/snowing last last night. I’ll get the roof cleaned off and see what I can see.

Thanks again, and I will keep you posted on my results.
Dandick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The antenna is above the passenger seat, they can leak badly. There may also be an electrical connection on the sidewall between the door and the slideout. This connection is for the patio awning, it is known to have a bad seal and water will come in. It usually runs down the wall and wets the floor however.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, water, water leak