Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Water problem

We have been staying at Thousand Trails in Las Vegas for the past week. Water pressure at our site was 100PSI which caused a few problems.

It "blew" our Camco water reducer valve. This in turn messed up our toilet bowl valve so we came millimeters from flooding the RV, since the water just filled up the bowl.

We are now about to leave and I have disconnected the water, but when I turn on the water pump, the water now comes flushing out of the open end of the hose pipe. The fresh water fill valve is closed.

Could I have another valve somewhere (no return) that has been damaged by the extremely high pressure? Where is the valve that normally prevents water from going back into the water hose?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Water check valve.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fill...g-96271-2.html

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.URqLoeHUO8A

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It is usually right behind or part of the hose connection.
This is a good thread to learn about the check valve. I replaced the little regulator with a domestic home type adjustable regulator and a pressure gauge. The check valve is however still there, needed to keep water from coming out the hose connection like yours. Most likely it is a stuck valve or has something stuck in it. Read here.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/city...lve-52944.html
Ron
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
We have been staying at Thousand Trails in Las Vegas for the past week. Water pressure at our site was 100PSI which caused a few problems.

It "blew" our Camco water reducer valve. This in turn messed up our toilet bowl valve so we came millimeters from flooding the RV, since the water just filled up the bowl.

We are now about to leave and I have disconnected the water, but when I turn on the water pump, the water now comes flushing out of the open end of the hose pipe. The fresh water fill valve is closed.

Could I have another valve somewhere (no return) that has been damaged by the extremely high pressure? Where is the valve that normally prevents water from going back into the water hose?
Danes, not a fix, but you can pick up a back-flow preventer at a hardware store and screw it into your coach connection. This is just a the little brass fitting that will not allow back flow from the coach connection. It will slove your issue until you can replace the in line unit. Also you can use your water hose from the camp ground faucet and just put it into the black flow preventer. Hope this helps
I do not know how to post a pic, but if you google back flow preventer you will find one. about 3.00 bucks at lowes

George
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #5

If you move the valve back and forth from city water to pump a couple of times, that may make your check valve operate correctly. Try that with the pump on. It may work. It happened to me last year and so far so good.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a work around till you fix the check valve, you can just put a cap on it.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
......and today's winner is (drum roll)...................crah

I went outside and "exercised" the valve as suggested, and wouldn't you know it..........it worked.

Thanks guy's

Now for my further education:

Here is a photo of my city water valve (with the green handle.

Here is a photo of the same valve (top left corner). On the right hand side of the valve, I see what looks like the check valve from Home depot that Drifter linked to. I presume that this is the one that was malfunctioning? The valve connection on the left and the connection on the bottom is a bit hard to make out. Does any of these connections have a check valve?

Again - a big thanks to all of you.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may still have a inlet check valve problem but that valve basically "Shuts off" the inlet,, However if the inlet check valve is not working, then if you FILL your on-board tank it may still leak back out.. Long story.

Screw the plug in the oulet that should stop it for the time, New outlets are easy to replace Looks like a 3 screw and one plumbing fitting job. Remove the 3 screws around the inlet, pull it towards you rope the pipe behind it and unscrew it.. Get a new one at Saraha RV or the RV store that the park manager suggests or Las Vegas RV (Camping world) and screw it in, replace 3 screws, job done.

Next. Visit lowes or home Depot, get a WATTS whole house pressure regulator and a water pressure gauge (Note the gauges I have gotten in RV stores seem to fail swiftly) And the proper hose adapters to screw into the watts, Get one at least 1/2 inch in size (3/4 may be easier to adapt) These are a bit tougher than that camco that blew apart, higher capacity too when you shower.

Say hi to the manager for me. I'm in TT Carolina Landing for 2/3 of the Winter Been there in the past, Plan on re-visiting some day. But will be a couple years till I get there.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
If the water tank fill valve is left in the tank fill position, the water pump will push water out of the hose on our '08 Diplomat. The same thing happened on the '03 LaPalma we traded. This does not happen with the valve in the city water position. Danes on tour probably filled his water tank and didn't put the valve back in the city water position.
Cottons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might want to consider adding a real pressure regulator somewhere between the camp water spigot and the entry to the coach. I have an adjustable Watts pressure regulator that is connected to the inlet side of an external water filter. I keep mine adjusted to 60 psi. You can pick up a Watts regulator and the necessary fittings at Home Depot or Lowes.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When you get back from Colorado, & stop by for a visit, I`ll fix it so you won`t have the problem any more -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottons View Post
Danes on tour probably filled his water tank and didn't put the valve back in the city water position.
The Danes do have "senior moments" but this is not one of them. If you read post #1 you will find that it says "Fresh water fill valve is closed".

Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
When you get back from Colorado, & stop by for a visit, I`ll fix it so you won`t have the problem any more -- Bill Willard
See you at the end of March

Old 02-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
The Danes do have "senior moments" but this is not one of them. If you read post #1 you will find that it says "Fresh water fill valve is closed".
I did see that you said the fresh water valve was closed. The valve in question is a three way valve and does not have a closed position. It is used to change the direction of flow and not to stop flow all together. The photo you attached to illustrate your problem clearly shows this valve in the Tank Fill position. You said you cycled the valve and the problem went away. If this valve is not properly seated against a stop, it will port fluid in both directions allowing water to run out of the hose when the water pump runs. The information you provided supports my answer. The problem with senior moments; the older we get, the more likely we are to have one and not realize it ever happened.
Cottons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water