Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #1

Water pump pumping water from fresh water tank into grey tank??

2008 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ...My water pump pumps water from the fresh water tank into the grey tank? What reason would it need to do this? It pumped my grey water tank to 100% before I noticed it and shut it off. It reset itself and was only pumping when the water was running but then again last night it did it again after I took a shower. It pump the little water I had left in the fresh water tank into the grey tank and filled it to 50% after it had just been drained to 10%. Granted I took a shower and that water would have gone in the grey tank but not that much water. I don't have any faucets open? Nothing is leaking?

I'm just perplexed as to why it's pumping water from the fresh water tank into the grey one and why it won't shut off when it's done pumping all the water out??
Amen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

Actually now see it isn't pumping from fresh to grey. But pump on all the time now
Old 09-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Check city fill valve...if open it just recirculates
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

I'm hooked up to city water. Dumb question...should it be on if hooked up to city water ? Or only when working off water tank?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #5

I turned off the water and turned it to fill tank but it is still running
Old 09-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #6

My last Rv had either city water...fill or fresh water tank. This one only has tank fill or city water
Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

If you are hooked to city water then turn off the pump. If you want to run off of the pump and your tank then you have to close the valve (turn it to city water) or it will not pressurize properly. The only time it should be turned to tank is when you are actively filling it, otherwise you have an open valve in a pressurized system. I hope that makes sense!
Hartman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #8

Open your utility door and turn your water fill valve to city. If you leave o
It on fill and run the pump, you are just running water around a loop from your tank thru the pump and back. Your valve for the city water may be defective leaking around the seal and into the fresh water tank,
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:25 AM   #9

When I have the valve set to city water and pump off...I get very low to no water pressure. The only way to get it to pump water is to turn on the water pump. It's almost acting like the city water valve (or something) isn't allowing the water to let water into the coach..only works when pump is on but then that is the water pumping out of the fresh water tank. So I'm not getting water straight from the tap into the coach. It's coming from the fresh water tank only ...does that make sense? Is there a valve I'm missing that needs to be opened? Of closed?
Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen View Post
When I have the valve set to city water and pump off...I get very low to no water pressure. The only way to get it to pump water is to turn on the water pump. It's almost acting like the city water valve (or something) isn't allowing the water to let water into the coach..only works when pump is on but then that is the water pumping out of the fresh water tank. So I'm not getting water straight from the tap into the coach. It's coming from the fresh water tank only ...does that make sense? Is there a valve I'm missing that needs to be opened? Of closed?
It's possible that valve you turn to direct water to fill tank or to pressurize the system has failed.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
It's possible that valve you turn to direct water to fill tank or to pressurize the system has failed.
I'm actually thinking now that the pump is bad..that's why it keeps running. And that it is only pulling water from the fresh water tank even while hooked up to city water. Not sure why it's not bypassing the pump when turned over to the city water? But I get no water pressure when it's hooked up that way.

Luckily I do have a new pump left over from my last coach so I will try that.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:53 PM   #12

So someone turned the water off. I turned it back on and now it is working like it should!!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #13

RV Basic Water 101
'City water' and on-board pump discharge feed the SAME cold water line....cold water feeds to toilets and sink/shower plus inlet to Water heater 't' off that main cold water line.
Water heater HOT out then feeds hot water to sink/shower.

City water connection has valve to switch over to 'FILL' position. That will direct city water to fresh water tank for filling.
Normal position will be on 'city water' (FILL only when fresh water tank needs water)
City water inlet has a check valve to stop water from backflowing out when using on-board pump.
On-board pump has an internal check valve to stop backflow thru pump when using city water.
Fresh water tank can fill/overflow if pump check valve fails.
On-board pump has a pressure switch that starts/stops pump.
If FILL valve is open and pump on ---then pump will suck water from fresh water tank and pump it thru FILL valve back to fresh water tank...RoundRobin

When on city water........
If you turn pump ON it should NOT run UNLESS city water pressure is below pump start set point.
City water inlet has a screen washer ...gets dirty and limits flow/pressure .
IF check valve fails........could prevent water flow. If using pump then water will run out of city water connection

Pump is 'on-demand'....so if a faucet/shower etc is NOT open then no demand and pump S/B OFF.
If it cycles then there is a leak.

BASIC--GENERIC System
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 AM   #14

Such great information and great graphic! Thank you. Helps a lot!

Tags
fresh water, grey tank, tank, water, water pump