Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water system

Please bear with me, I realize this should be motor home 101 but my coach did not come with an owners manual. My last motor home was a home built so the system was very easy compared to this. So even though I think I understand the system if someone could go over it with me I would appreciate it.
Here is a picture and what I think I know.

The gravity tank fill to the left is for water from a hose. The fresh water to the right of the gravity fill is for getting water from the coaches tank. The tank flush is for hooking a hose to to put water into the black water tank and flush it out. The connection next to that far right allows me to hook up a hose for water for the system. The valve pointed the way it is now will not fill the tanks but supply water for the coach. The valve pointed the other way fills the water tanks.
Please correct me if any of this is incorrect. Also with either of the fill points how do I know when the tanks are full. I would assume the gravity fill just comes out the top but how about the city fill? Lastly, with the tank flush, I have read here it it best to empty the black water tank when it is full, so is this flush for after the tank is drained and should it be used each time?

Thanks in advance
Mat
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACRacing View Post
Please bear with me, I realize this should be motor home 101 but my coach did not come with an owners manual. My last motor home was a home built so the system was very easy compared to this. So even though I think I understand the system if someone could go over it with me I would appreciate it.
Here is a picture and what I think I know.

The gravity tank fill to the left is for water from a hose. The fresh water to the right of the gravity fill is for getting water from the coaches tank. The tank flush is for hooking a hose to to put water into the black water tank and flush it out. The connection next to that far right allows me to hook up a hose for water for the system. The valve pointed the way it is now will not fill the tanks but supply water for the coach. The valve pointed the other way fills the water tanks.
Please correct me if any of this is incorrect. Also with either of the fill points how do I know when the tanks are full. I would assume the gravity fill just comes out the top but how about the city fill? Lastly, with the tank flush, I have read here it it best to empty the black water tank when it is full, so is this flush for after the tank is drained and should it be used each time?

Thanks in advance
Mat
Mat,
Your first paragraph is correct. I only have one thing to add. After filling the tank with the city fresh water fill (handle pointing to the left while filling), DO NOT FORGET to put the handle back into the upright position. I speak from experience...
As far as knowing when it is full, it does appear you can see your tank behing the white panel in the picture. As you say, when it is really full, it will (should) come out the overflow tube. However, that is actually a little too full.
It is best to empty the black tank when approx 3/4 to full. This gives it a better flush out and carries more solids out the hose. The grey tank can be left open if desired as long as you close it in time to get enough water in the tank to flush out the hose after dumping the black. We do not do this. The flush is kind of a personal preference thing. Some use it every time and some don't. I usually do unless I have to dump at a community dump and have someone in line waiting for me to finish. I also will flush the toilet inside while dumping as this seems to bring more solids (paper) etc from that end of the tank. Your tank may be shaped differently than mine. I also at times will run the flush continuously while the tank is emptying, if using the Sani-con system as I can see through the clear adapter what is exiting the tank.
Hope this helps..
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I can see the tank but I wasn't sure if that was the top of the tank. Thanks for the tip on the handle. I would have found out the wet way the first time I used it.

Another question, is there any reason to fill with the gravity fill vs the city fill?

Mat
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well do you really want to fill the tank? It holds 100 gallons of water @ 6lbs per gallon = 600lbs you have to haul around. I never fill it unless I plan to boondock long enough to need it. When traveling I generally put about 25 gallons in and that is plenty between hookups. On my coach I can look behind the service panel under the bottom and see the white plastic tank. If you can also look for screws into the tank with a wire attached to each screw. Those are the probes that tell the KIB panel in your bathroom the water level. I estimate 25 gallons to be just above the second probe for my tank.

I always dump the black tank when it reaches 3/4 full. I also always connect a hose to the flush and start flushing at the same time I am dumping. I use a clear plastic 45-degree connection to my macerator. When I can see most of the poop has been dumped and clearer water is discharging, I close the black tank valve and let the flush continue running about two minutes, then open the black tank valve and let it again dump. Sometimes I do this twice depending on the discharge. When I plan on putting the coach in storage I will do this 4 or 5 times to make sure the tank is clean. Failing to use the flush often can lead to it becoming clogged and having to remove the flush probe from the tank for cleaning.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
MacRacing.......You got everything correct.

I added brass quick connect couplers to both the fresh water connection and the flush valve connection. This allows quick connecting for water and flushing. The flush has a back flow valve built in so you won't contaminate your fresh water hose. Beware though, when you remove the flush hose, it will spit back a fair amount of water.

Lastly, the flush line runs across the top of the tank and drops into the tank on top at the other end. They are notorious for clogging, especially when you fill the black tank past the 3/4 mark. Paper/debris forces itself through the sprayer nozzle and then dries, plugging the sprayer. If this happens on yours you can do two things. First lift the panel on the other side and locate the sprayer. Disconnect the hose and you can reach down in the sprayer with some small needle nose pliers and pull out the debris. I got tired of doing this and just used an 1/8" drill and drilled down into the sprayer opening several times. It now passes more water. I didn't really care how it sprayed, I just wanted it to fill from that end and flush out debris.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
One comment I have is that the gravity fill is for a container of water not a hose. If you have a hose connection just hook up to the standard city water connection and fill your fresh water tank by turning the valve to the left until the tank is full. The reason for the gravity fill is when you are boondocking and do not have a hose connection at all. Then when the water in your tank gets low you need to use a container and haul water to the coach. You then would pour the water into the gravity fill. Been there, done that.

I just look like I am 63, but actually will turn 40 in June. This accelerated aging came about from so many dry camping trips with my wife in the 5th wheel we use to own. It had a tub/shower and the wife likes to take a bath. Guess who had to haul off all the gray water and haul more fresh water to refill the tank! Thank heaven the Diplomat does not have a tub.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
FYI - We recently obtained an operators manual from Monaco for our '04 Beaver. It was about $50. and had a wealth of information.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies.

Since most of my camping is at the track where there are no hook ups I usually fill the tanks full. I also carry two 5 gallon water jugs to get water and fill enough for a quick shower if needed. Thankfully we have the pit cart at the track to drive and get water.

Don, thanks for the hint on quick connectors. I will do that also.

As far as the manual goes. I am on the list to get one as soon as it is reproduced. When I called Monaco they didn't have any for my year or model. I was told they were contracting with a company to start reproducing these. They took my number and are supposed to call when its available. Thank goodness for forums like this to help in the meantime.

Thanks again
Mat
Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to deadeye916
I remove the gravity feed cover when filling the on-board tank on my coach. There is a lot of air that needs to get out when filling. When the tank is full you will see water exiting the gravity feed point.

The only time I have used the gravity feed to put anything in the tank is when I sanitize the fresh water tank. I mix up a bleach solution and pour it in the gravity feed then fill the tank from the city connection.
deadeye916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The other reason for the gravity fill is to allow you to add Bleach to sanitize the tanks or purify the water if the source is less than perfect like in Mexico. I think you use 1/4 cup per 15 Gallons to Sanitize the tanks and 1/8 teaspoon per gallon to purify drinking water. I am sure you can search for a thread that will give you details on both sanitizing tanks and purifying drinking water.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye916 View Post
I remove the gravity feed cover when filling the on-board tank on my coach. There is a lot of air that needs to get out when filling. When the tank is full you will see water exiting the gravity feed point.

The only time I have used the gravity feed to put anything in the tank is when I sanitize the fresh water tank. I mix up a bleach solution and pour it in the gravity feed then fill the tank from the city connection.
I pull the fill hose all the way out, put the solution into the water hose for a couple of minutes and then attach to the hose bib and fill. That way, my hose also gets an occasional sanitizing. I started doing that when we got the Diplomat as the hose is on a reel and is never truly empty of water.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Well do you really want to fill the tank? It holds 100 gallons of water @ 6lbs per gallon = 600lbs you have to haul around. I never fill it unless I plan to boondock long enough to need it. When traveling I generally put about 25 gallons in and that is plenty between hookups.
I usually dry camp, so I go with a full tank of water. But even if I'm going to someplace with hookups, I still fill the water. There's been a few times I've arrived only to find out the water system was out of order, or the water had a bad smell or taste. In those cases, I was glad to have a full on-board tank! Also, I often don't bother to hook up, and I just run off of the tanks, as the water is a known good quality, and the pressure/flow rate is often better.

As for weight, I figure that the 600 lbs of water is less than 2% of my coach's weight. As far as I can tell, it really doesn't make any significant difference in mileage, performance, or handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye916 View Post
I do the same. By leaving the gravity fill open, not only does it vent better, but I can periodically look down the opening -- when I see water starting to rise in that hose, I know the tank is just about full.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I was looking at the tank under the panel for filling and noticed a white box that looks like a speaker. The only thing I could think of was an alarm but it would seem like a better place would be in the coach not inside the compartment. Any one know what it is?

Thanks again for all the help
Mat
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Mat....That "speaker" is actually a heater for your wet bay. I'm sure some of the other more informed members will give you all the details as to it's operation. There should be a switch on your control panel inside labeled "system heat" which turns on the heater which comes on when the temp drops to a certain level.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote