Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Waterpump Operating Lights

I have a 2001 Monaco Windsor that has switches to turn the waterpump on in the main control panel, at the bathroom sink, and at the utility bay. Each of these switches has an associated indicator light that until recently would be on when the pump circuit was activated. All of a sudden the lights are no longer lighting up when the pump circuit is activated. Additionally I use to be able to turn the pump on from any location. It is no longer doing this either.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Bob
rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
rhilton284, sorry to hear you are having trouble. Will any of the switches operate the pump? Typically a bad ground wire can cause failures, but if nothing is working, look for a blown fuse, or open wire connections. All of the switches will be wired in parallel and energize a latching relay. Once the relay latches the pump will run and all the indicator lights will light. As you know the pump will shut off when pressure is reached but the lights will remain lit until the switch is pushed again to shut the system off, ie unlatch the relay. Find and check the relay too.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder28T View Post
rhilton284, sorry to hear you are having trouble. Will any of the switches operate the pump? Typically a bad ground wire can cause failures, but if nothing is working, look for a blown fuse, or open wire connections. All of the switches will be wired in parallel and energize a latching relay. Once the relay latches the pump will run and all the indicator lights will light. As you know the pump will shut off when pressure is reached but the lights will remain lit until the switch is pushed again to shut the system off, ie unlatch the relay. Find and check the relay too.
Yes the switches will operate the pump, but it seems now the switch that turns the pump off is the only switch that will turn it on again..... I am not sure it it is a bad ground or maybe a bad switch. I am not knowledgeable enough in the 12 volt system to figure this one out.

The tech I had out today is in the same boat as I.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would like to follow this one. I have the same problem with the lights, but either switch will still turn the pump on or off.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2001 Monaco Windsor water pump schematic

I found this very basic diagram, it would appear there is a control module. Most likely has relays or switching internal. Try to find this module. It might be behind the 12 Volt panel. The system is all 12V DC and will require good clean connections, I would start there. Just unplug and re-plug connectors and check other connections.

I hope the attachment comes through, let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 Monaco water pump wiring.gif
Views:	84
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	226721  
Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #6

Waterpump Operating Lights

If you have a latching relay and it has failed, then none of the switches or indicator lights should work. As shown in the wiring diagram, the switches send only a ground signal to the relay. The relay has a constant 12V power and ground source. When it receives a ground signal from a switch it connects or disconnects the ground source wire and the load wire completing the ground path for the motor. It might instead feed a ground to an automotive type relay which is wired to provide a 12V source to the motor. The lights in the switches are separate. They have a constant 12V source at the switch and receive the ground from a separate wire from the load connection at the relay.
If you don’t have this relay then it might be wired using some other type of relay wiring or similar to household wiring where 3 or 4 way switches are used. You really need a wiring diagram.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder28T View Post
I found this very basic diagram, it would appear there is a control module. Most likely has relays or switching internal. Try to find this module. It might be behind the 12 Volt panel. The system is all 12V DC and will require good clean connections, I would start there. Just unplug and re-plug connectors and check other connections.

I hope the attachment comes through, let me know
Thanks for the diagram. My situation is similar to your wiring diagram except I think I have 2 latching relays.(to be confirmed) The big deal for me is I am starting to get how the system works, which should help me trouble shoot it. If I continue to have problems trouble shooting my issue I will just start replacing relays and the controller until poof it starts working.... As you might surmise, I am not a genius at this stuff.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
If you have a latching relay and it has failed, then none of the switches or indicator lights should work. As shown in the wiring diagram, the switches send only a ground signal to the relay. The relay has a constant 12V power and ground source. When it receives a ground signal from a switch it connects or disconnects the ground source wire and the load wire completing the ground path for the motor. It might instead feed a ground to an automotive type relay which is wired to provide a 12V source to the motor. The lights in the switches are separate. They have a constant 12V source at the switch and receive the ground from a separate wire from the load connection at the relay.
If you don’t have this relay then it might be wired using some other type of relay wiring or similar to household wiring where 3 or 4 way switches are used. You really need a wiring diagram.
I do have 2 12 volt latch relays to the left of the controller. I am not sure if they are for the waterpump system yet but I think it is a pretty good bet they are. I do know that every so often the pump quits working and it will restart after I wiggle one or both of the relays.

It appears to me that I am dealing with bad connections or weak relays. At the very least I feel like I can trouble shoot the system now. Thanks to all of you guys for jumping in and helping me out once again.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think you will just fine, good luck and I hope posting was helpful. Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!

Tags
light, lights, water