Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 98 Signature 42 ft. with a Cummins 10 l.

The coach has sat and currently one electric panel has 115 bolts while the other has zero volts. The power outlet was not making a good connection and lights were flashing on and off I wiggled the plug and lights stopped flashing. I will replace tomorrow but does anyone have an idea why the other panel has no voltage. The panel that is working is for A/c, aqua hot. Any thoughts Thanks Steve
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm guessing it's a 50 amp outlet and plug? That means that it actually has two legs of 50 amp hot leads going into one neutral leg. The two legs are 180º out of phase. If one leg doesn't connect, you only have half the circuits in the RV powered. When the RV was designed, the electrical engineer tried to split the circuits to prevent each leg exceeding 50 amps.

If you look at the breaker panel in the RV, there should be two 50 amp breakers at the top and then each of the breakers under that 50 amp one should work from that breaker. To reset the breakers, turn them off then on again.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
After the above but on/off several times...do the same to the breakers for the outlet. Take a file to the lugs on your plug to clean them up and then unplug it 10 times. With it almost all the way in check for 115 on each of the flat lugs.

Still missing one leg...from nd and check the transfer switch.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #4

Steve, I have a 98 Exective and electrical systems are the same.

Looking at the two electrical boxes toward the back the box on the right from top to bottom is f roof a/c, r roof a/c, Invertor L2, main 50, Invertor L1, Water heater or Aqua hot, wash dry or third ac

The box on the left is CFL front receipts, main Invertor L2, microwave, refer, main Invertor L1, gfi rear receipts.

Ok, what they did was bring incoming voltage to the 50 amp breaker or on right box making two hot bars behind the breaker, L1 and L2. The two 30 amp breakers L1 and L2 above the main 50 amp breaker take the two legs down to the Invertor. When you have pole power, switches or relays in the Invertor supply power to the breaker box on the left, giving you power for items listed for box on left. Slight item for confusion is the L1 and L2 are incoming voltage from the Invertor relays. When you do not have pole power and the Invertor is on it supplies voltage to L1 and L2.

Your Invertor is probably cleverly hidden in the center of the water bay. You can get to it thru the sliding door in the compartment forward of the water compartment if you are small.

I have had to have the relays replaced once but quite a few years ago.

I believe there is also a reset on the Invertor. Have you tried turning the Invertor on and off? If on pole power you should have power to bed to with Invertor on or off however.

When I had to have my Invertor worked on I jumped breakers L1 and L2 together on both boxes to have house power while Invertor was out. L1 to L1 and L2 to L2.

Hope this helps a bit.
Larry
larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #5

On my ‘98 Sig, the two inverters ard located on the bay where the shore power cable is, stacked on top of each other. Look at the switches to make sure they are both on and reset them if needed.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #6

You may have a defective plug on your shore power cable, especially if you wiggled it and power was restored.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
After the above but on/off several times...do the same to the breakers for the outlet. Take a file to the lugs on your plug to clean them up and then unplug it 10 times. With it almost all the way in check for 115 on each of the flat lugs.

Still missing one leg...from nd and check the transfer switch.
I would NEVER FILE anything electrical because of a bad connection. They are take off too much material. The more you thin out the lugs the less current they can carry and the more likely they will arc and cause problems. If it is really corroded try some very fine sand paper. Better yet get a can of contact cleaner.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I reset all the breakers with no luck. On one panel that is working I have a 50amp in the middle of panel with 3 breakers above and three below .
The panel beside it is dead. 2 breakers then 30 amp main A ,2 breakers , then 30amp main B then 1 breaker.
I am trying to find the feed for the panel that is not working. I am temped to jump across the panels but want to check with someone more knowledgable. B Flinn 181 thanks for your reply
Old 10-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #9

Steve, if you read my post again you should see that power to the dead panel comes up from the inverter.

Larry
Old 10-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It seems panel not working is fed from Trace Inverter. The working panel 6/3 from transfer switch es50 but it the transfer switch has been noisy (humming)for some time.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry koenn View Post
Steve, I have a 98 Exective and electrical systems are the same.

Looking at the two electrical boxes toward the back the box on the right from top to bottom is f roof a/c, r roof a/c, Invertor L2, main 50, Invertor L1, Water heater or Aqua hot, wash dry or third ac

The box on the left is CFL front receipts, main Invertor L2, microwave, refer, main Invertor L1, gfi rear receipts.

Ok, what they did was bring incoming voltage to the 50 amp breaker or on right box making two hot bars behind the breaker, L1 and L2. The two 30 amp breakers L1 and L2 above the main 50 amp breaker take the two legs down to the Invertor. When you have pole power, switches or relays in the Invertor supply power to the breaker box on the left, giving you power for items listed for box on left. Slight item for confusion is the L1 and L2 are incoming voltage from the Invertor relays. When you do not have pole power and the Invertor is on it supplies voltage to L1 and L2.

Your Invertor is probably cleverly hidden in the center of the water bay. You can get to it thru the sliding door in the compartment forward of the water compartment if you are small.

I have had to have the relays replaced once but quite a few years ago.

I believe there is also a reset on the Invertor. Have you tried turning the Invertor on and off? If on pole power you should have power to bed to with Invertor on or off however.

When I had to have my Invertor worked on I jumped breakers L1 and L2 together on both boxes to have house power while Invertor was out. L1 to L1 and L2 to L2.

Hope this helps a bit.

Larry

Thanks Larry for info. Just reading your answer and it does seem we have the same problem. I did put on a new female incoming plug but it did not fix the problem.
I think I will jump L1 and L2, I feel better doing it now that I know someone did the same thing. Do I have to disconnect the inverter? I also will try the reset button. Thanks for your response.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #12

Steve, disconnect all four wires on L1 and L2 breakers and cap them off. Then you are isolated from the Invertor coming and going and it will be safe to wire L1 to L1 and L2 to L2. Unplug from pole power before doing anything.

Larry
Old 10-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
Thanks Larry for info. Just reading your answer and it does seem we have the same problem. I did put on a new female incoming plug but it did not fix the problem.
I think I will jump L1 and L2, I feel better doing it now that I know someone did the same thing. Do I have to disconnect the inverter? I also will try the reset button. Thanks for your response.

Thanks everyone
. Temporary repair is working.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #14

You guys are making me nervous . ROFLMAO
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins