Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Weekend project

Just thought that I would share my weekend project with everyone and show you what my battery compartment looked like after 10 years and what I did to revive it.

I have to replace my four house batteries so as long as I have those out I also pulled the two chassis batteries so I could see what the battery compartment looked like after all these years.

My coach has a tray that the batteries sit on in the compartment but it only has three side lips. The back of the tray has no lip and is also about 2 inches from the back wall allowing any battery acid spills to get under the tray and also the seam between the floor and the back wall. The pictures below show the before, the tray, compartment ready for the liner and after the liner has been applied.

The product that I used is a bed liner called Herculiner because it is the only one that I could in find that said it was chemical & acid resistant in print. The clean up, sanding and wire brushing is dirty and messy but the end results are worth it. By the way it took less the a quart of the Herculiner and the quart cost $30.00.

New batteries are to be delivered this Thursday. I stayed with the Interstate U2200 Workhorse, price was $101.65 each, for the four with tax was $431.00
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E IMG_6419 Bottom of box before all the cleaning.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	12450   Click image for larger version

Name:	E IMG_6421 Battery tray.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	12451  

Click image for larger version

Name:	E IMG_6425 Box ready for Hurculiner liner.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	12452   Click image for larger version

Name:	E IMG_6426 Box finished less the 6 batteries.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	12453  

Bikedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Gee Bob, now I am jealous. Want to do another one? You did a great job.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #3

Bob, unfortunately those old cables will simply have to go..

Thanks for the tip, mine's only 4 years old but it's looking pretty shabby right now.
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
I think there is a Linex type material that one can self apply. I think it would be great for a process like this. I'd probably wash well with a solution of baking soda to kill the acid.. rinse a few times.. even power wash.. let dry and apply this brush on "bedliner" material.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Odd I should read this one since I have a gallon of Herculiner sitting under the workbench. I had bought it to us inside a Jeep as a water protectant....never got to that part of the rework on the Jeep. It was sort of a luxury element I just wanted to do. Anyways, now I may have a use for that stuff! Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
NICE!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
What a nice job you did! Thanks for the information and pics, too.
It looks like this will now be a winter project for me. I like everything to look and work like new.