Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

Weird fog light issue.

Hi everyone; I have a fog light or driving light issue I would like to run by everyone. On my 01 Windsor, the fog lights will only turn on when the high beams have been selected with the turn signal switch. Ing. is on and the fog light switch is activated. Talked to a Monaco tech back in 05 when I bought the coach and he said that that's the way the Windsor's are wired. I said, that's funny, my previous 2000 Windsor, the fog lights would work on low beam and go off if you selected high beam. This is how most cars and trucks are wired today. If you have fog light or driving lights on, usually when high beams are selected, those other lights turn off. Tech said no, that's the way the Windsor's are wired. Someone must have rewired your 2000. Make sense to anyone. Have the owners manual and been trying to run the circuit down on the wiring diagrams with little luck. Also tried to find a relay that maybe runs the fog lights with no such luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA law requires that the fog lights go off when high beam is selected, sounds like your present rig is wired wrong. Might just be a relay that's plugged in wrong, but of course you have to find it first!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #3

Thanks Mr-D; Also, forgot to mention that I bought this coach in Canada and brought back to U.S. It had been converted over to the DRL system. I removed that relay and harness as it was only wired into the low beams and marker lights. The Canadian DRL system had not been hooked into any part of the fog lights that I can tell. Worked the same with the Canadian DRL, and without. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Every vehicle I ever owned, including my motorcycles have been wired to turn off the fog lights when the high beams are on. Someone must have rewired your lights at some point.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Since 1/1/1990, every new vehicle sold in Canada had to be equipped with DRL's, even if they were US or foreign built. I'm not sure what the detailed Canadian DRL specs are. A few years later, GM petitioned NHTSA to set a standard for US DRL's. NHTSA did so and said IF a manufacturer provides them, they must meet the following standards, which are spelled out in FMVSS 108. GM has provided them as standard for over 20 years and Ford still does not (but they are available on special order).
There were some differences between the US and Canadian DRL standards initially. They may have been harmonized subsequently (I've been retired from the automotive industry for several years).

FMVSS 108 also specified that auxiliary (fog, etc.) lights could only be on with low beams and that superseded any state laws. Don't know if that has been changed with the new lighting technologies available today (LED's, HID's, etc.)

Of course, once you own a vehicle, you can pretty much do what you want with it, subject to state laws that are typically not enforced.

Gene M
2004 Knight
Old 04-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Mine is the same way and looking to change that so I can use them for extra light on low beam. I was told it's a state law.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

Hi Ray999; So your 2002 Windsor is wired the same as my 01 Windsor. Fog lights only work on high beam. Do you have the owners manual that came with your coach. I looked through the wiring diagrams in the back of my book, but none of them seem to cover the head lights or fog lights. Had Monaco send me some diagrams before they moved from Coburg, but still none covered the fog lights. Had the wife the other day turn the fog light switch on and off while the high beams were on to see if I could locate a relay for the fog lights. No such luck. I hope others keep reading my post and someone has an idea of where to look. Would be nice to be able to use them. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #8

I live in Canada and when I bought my 98 Dynasty my driving/fog lights came on with the
ignition key (that is how they got wired when brought into Canada) as I use my RV in the
winter I didn't want then on during start up so I wired mine to come on when the park brake was released.

Tags
light