Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

Hi All! Great to be on the forum. I am normally on some fast car forum, but we decided to buy our first rv on Dec 22 2008! After much searching we happened up on a 96 Holiday Rambler 34' Endeavor LE tag axle with 32k miles, 50 hours on the generator and not too bad less the cracking decals.

Well as the story goes it was owned by a little old lady from Pasadena,,, well you know the rest LOL, LOL

We really liked it, she and her husband took really good care of it up until a few years ago. It needed alot of caulking work done. I had it inspected and was told she was in really good shape except for a few items. I did notice a little delam at the top but was assured it was not an issue. So we proceed with the trade/cash to pick her up. We left for a 12 day, 1200 mile trip right off the bat, took the coast route from the Sacto area down to LA, a little cool but nice. Only had a few issues along the way, but the rig ran great (except up some of those grades, can I say I need a banks system??)

After getting back home, the wife decided she had enough of the mauve carpet and floral print stuff, so we did the next best thing, we gutted the flooring, jack knife couch, club chair, dinette and all valances. We did all the covering of the booth, valances & decor ourselves (Not again anytime soon!!) We had new carpet and vinyl flooring installed and the other furniture recovered, added a 22 LCD to the rear bedroom, some decorator items and shazam! we have a very nice rig!! Now onto the exterior paint work.

I figure 12k for the rig, 5-6k in interior and exterior upgrades and we will have a very new looking rig with only 34k miles! I was looking at maybe trying to flip it real quick to get a newer model, but I figured what the heck may as well enjoy all the sweat labor I just put in.

I also could be assured of another thing, if I bought another one the wife would want to change it!

I say lets go enjoy for now!!

Thanks to all who endure this first long winded post!!
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rundlc - Welcome to the forum! You'll find that this is the friendliest RV forum out there. Sounds as if you got a sweet RV that you are already enjoying.

Your changes sound great - when you have the time consider posting before and after pictures as it may help other posters get ideas.

Happy RVing!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
RUNDLC...welcome to iRV2 & hopefully the "Monaco Forum"! It sounds like you have a winner of a coach...congrats!
I would love to give you some "Monaco karma" also - all you need to do is say 'karma please' ...and you will be set.

You can feel free to PM me with any questions..Plus who knows.. we may be able to meet up sometime soon.. we are in the same are.

MM
(I see this has already been short-cutted so I won't need to do it!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #4

RUNDLC - What kind of fast cars rev you up?? I wish I still had all the stuff I owned back in the '70's - I'd be rich!!

I road raced Porsche, Honda, and Toyota until about 4 years ago. My current "fast" toy is a lightly modded '08 GT-500.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
RUNDLC, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad o have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Congratulations on your Endeavor LE. I am sure you will enjoy this website as much as you will using your new to you coach. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RUNDLC:
Hi All! Great to be on the forum. I am normally on some fast car forum, but we decided to buy our first rv on Dec 22 2008! After much searching we happened up on a 96 Holiday Rambler 34' Endeavor LE tag axle with 32k miles, 50 hours on the generator and not too bad less the cracking decals.

Well as the story goes it was owned by a little old lady from Pasadena,,, well you know the rest LOL, LOL

We really liked it, she and her husband took really good care of it up until a few years ago. It needed alot of caulking work done. I had it inspected and was told she was in really good shape except for a few items. I did notice a little delam at the top but was assured it was not an issue. So we proceed with the trade/cash to pick her up. We left for a 12 day, 1200 mile trip right off the bat, took the coast route from the Sacto area down to LA, a little cool but nice. Only had a few issues along the way, but the rig ran great (except up some of those grades, can I say I need a banks system??)

After getting back home, the wife decided she had enough of the mauve carpet and floral print stuff, so we did the next best thing, we gutted the flooring, jack knife couch, club chair, dinette and all valances. We did all the covering of the booth, valances & decor ourselves (Not again anytime soon!!) We had new carpet and vinyl flooring installed and the other furniture recovered, added a 22 LCD to the rear bedroom, some decorator items and shazam! we have a very nice rig!! Now onto the exterior paint work.

I figure 12k for the rig, 5-6k in interior and exterior upgrades and we will have a very new looking rig with only 34k miles! I was looking at maybe trying to flip it real quick to get a newer model, but I figured what the heck may as well enjoy all the sweat labor I just put in.

I also could be assured of another thing, if I bought another one the wife would want to change it!

I say lets go enjoy for now!!

Thanks to all who endure this first long winded post!!
RUNDLC:
Congrats on your rig purchase and welcome to IRV2. A couple of things for you to note would be:
1. I'm assumming a 96 MH will have had the original tires replaced by now. It is generally been stated that MH tires are usually good for 5-7 yrs then should be replaced regardless of how they look. You should take your rig to a truck scale and have it weighed which will help you determin the proper tire inflation per the tire manufactures recomendation.
2. I noted you mentioned that the gennie only had 50hrs of use noted. Not the best as these things are meant to be used and will sometimes cause problems if not. My recommendation would be to buy a good fuel conditioner/cleaner such as SeaFoam, http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm and put the prescribed amount in a tank fuel of fuel. I would then start the gennie and run it under 1/2 load for about 1 hr as it will usually only consume approx 1/2-3/4 gal per hr. This will usually clean out any gunk that may have accumilated in the engine. We use our gennie extensively throughout the year when travelling and also run it under 1/2 load about every 4-5 wks in the winter while under storage. You should also get a manual from whoever the manufacture is and preform the prescibed maintainance. (Chassis engine also)
3. I would also find a reliable/trustworthy RV shop and have them look at the possible delamination on the roof. If present, these things ain't gong to get any better.
4. Caulking replacement/redo on the roof can usually be addressed, I believe, by using Eternabond Tape in place of and will most likely last longer than you will own the rig. A good/reasonable place to purchase it is here, http://www.rvupgradestore.com/. Type in Eternabond Tape in the search box, upper right corner. Another place is hear, http://www.bestmaterials.com/roof_repair.aspx.
5. You also mentioned the Banks Kit for your engine. There will be some on this forum who are Banks fans but there are also others like myself who will recommend the UltraPower upgrade. I believe it will do as much as and usually more than the Banks kit at noticeably less $. Here is a link to the Brazels RV Performance Center which handles the upgrade. Call or give Mike Bronzini a call at theis link>
http://www.brazelsrv.com/
Don't hesitate to ask questions as there are many knowledgeable people here that will help.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the "life" and the forums. Lots of good people here, and lotsa knowlege on almost every subject. Am a "fast car" lover myself.....my present fast toy.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
mountainkowboy, I am having a difficult time determining where the base plates are located on your new toad.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
I am having a difficult time determining where the base plates are located on your new toad.
Maybe it's his "tow vehicle"
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #10

WOW Thanks for making me feel so welcome!

I will take all advice here from those that have gone before me. I did have the tires checked, but will go over them all again just to be sure. I have also made connection with a pretty good rv shop and hope to have all the remaining issues looked at.

As far as cars go, I love Lamborghini, Porsche and sports car in general. Wished I had a few of the "old school" cars from my heyday too.

I have been building a "replica" of a Lamborghini for a few years but that is another forum unless you want to pm me. Don't want to co-mingle the two here.

I am in the Elk Grove area of Sacramento and would welcome new friends anytime, just shoot me a pm

RUNDLC
Old 02-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by tmar10:
mountainkowboy, I am having a difficult time determining where the base plates are located on your new toad.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 AM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Welcome & as you can see this is a great place for info & chat. Sounds like yous got a good deal & are making it your own!
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally posted by RUNDLC:
Hi All! Great to be on the forum. I am normally on some fast car forum, but we decided to buy our first rv on Dec 22 2008! After much searching we happened up on a 96 Holiday Rambler 34' Endeavor LE tag axle with 32k miles,

RUNDLC, I can't remember seeing a 34' Endeavor with a tag axle. Was that a special order item or what? It seems that would be a smooth rider.
Bill O.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #14

Bill I was very surprised about the 34' tag myself. When I first started looking at the rv I was told it was a 36'and with me being a newbie I didn't think to grab a tape. I found out just a week ago when I contacted Monaco for some parts info. I asked if they had the sticker and they said yes. I looked and thought hey that guy cheated me out of two feet!! We are very happy with it though.

Thanks to all