Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #1

Well I am screwed now House & chassis B

Well I think 4 or the 6 batteries that my H.R. Navigator has are GONE!! It looks like I am going need new ones :( It also appears that my Xanthrax (sp) is shutting down, maybe since the batteries won't charge it has nothing to do.

Any ideas where I can get some for wellll... Not Cheap but inexpensive, I am on VERY limited funds right now.

Thanks
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #2

I bought my eight batteries from Sam's Club for about $85 each. I would not tray just replacing some of your batteries. They should all be replaced at once otherwise the charging will be uneven. Also does your inverter/charger have a battery equalization function the desulfates the plates. If so you should try fixing your batteries by trying that.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

I got deep cycle group 27's at Sams for $69 each this past Summer. Duracell brand with a three year warranty.

No matter where you buy, be sure to check the date codes. They had a few in stock that were over 10 months old.

If you need info on battery date codes, I'm sure that Google can help.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two suggestions, one depends on where you are at.

Sam's Club, if you don't want a membership try Wall-Mart, but Sam's has about the best prices on GC-2 Six volt batteries (Costco is also good but Sam's is lower in cost)

Second: Google "Battery refurbishers" if I have the spelling right, (If not Google will suggest) If you have one near you they "Recondition" batteries and sell them for very low prices.. (Might be "Battery reconditioners too but that will hit on the desulfators)

I know there is one such company near Atlanta GA, and another in Novi Mi, but those are just the ones I personally know of.. I have to believe there are more.

I have a story that involves the Novi company (Nice story) but too long for tonight. They did me, or rather a group I represented a favor.. And they were later rewarded by another member of the group with a nice contract.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you checked each battery with a hydrometer? It could very well be that one battery is causing all the problems. A hydrometer is $10 or less.
If you are short on funds I would just replace the bad battery and get more when the budget allows.
If you think about it 6 batteries do not all age at the same exact rate and over a period of time will take a charge different from each other. If I couldn't afford 6 and knew one was definitely bad, as the hydrometer will show, then I would replace just the bad battery.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have you checked each battery with a hydrometer? It could very well be that one battery is causing all the problems. A hydrometer is $10 or less.
If you are short on funds I would just replace the bad battery and get more when the budget allows.
If you think about it 6 batteries do not all age at the same exact rate and over a period of time will take a charge different from each other. If I couldn't afford 6 and knew one was definitely bad, as the hydrometer will show, then I would replace just the bad battery.
Also, at a minimum, check the water level in all the batteries. You should do this on a regular basis. If the water is low (plates out of liquid) then you might be able to get a little more life out of them by adding water and charging.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You will then replace the new battery very quickly also. It could possibly "buy" you a few weeks, you will then need to replace 6 batteries.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 AM   #8

OP, when you say 4 of the 6, I assume you are talking about your 4 house bats, and 2 chas bats. Is it the four house bats that you thank are bad/dieing. If so you can get them at sams/cosco ect like others have said. And yes you should replace them (4) at the same time also besure the date codes are the same. They will have a colored sticker with something like 10/11 on them. This means they were brought to life (Acid added) in oct 11. Tax and all somewhere around 350.00 bucks. However you may want to look at removing the (4) 6 volts and replacing them with 2 12 volt marine deep cycle bats. They are around 80.00 each. Just remember the bottom line is 12V dc coming out, double check your connections and then use a volt meter. Hope this helps you out.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Are you stationery in one place (always plugged into shore power) or traveling from place to place. If you are just sitting and plugged in, you could get by with just two 6v until you need to go on the road. Hook them up so you have 12v and leave the bad two 6v disconnected. I think you can re-program your xantrex for the two 6v batteries. If you are on the move, then you should replace all four 6v.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies, I am stationary right now. I was planning on a short excursion on the west coast during Christmas break. I am hooked (well not right now) to shore power. Two of the house batteries are sealed and two are not, When I did check those they were dry, no water at all. I know, I know what a dumb move but I didn't even think to check them cause the xantrex always showed the batt's were charged.

The two chassis batteries show 12.6-13.7 or so on the display but as soon as I try to start her up it drops to 10.2-10.5. The two sealed ones my be good so I am thinking get two chassis and two house and pray my theory is correct. I will look for one of those tester deals though in the mean time.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
You will then replace the new battery very quickly also. It could possibly "buy" you a few weeks, you will then need to replace 6 batteries.
Except in the case of a shorted cell.

Can you please explain how a bad battery (high resistance bad) in parallel with a good battery, will damage the good battery and cause it to need replacement almost right away?

Fact: you can not, because it can not.

In the case of a shorted cell... It can.. but if I have one shorted I remove it from the group.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #12

Are the chassis & house batteries the same style and or group number? I will see if I can find a friend that has a Sam's card. I sure hope I could find them for 69.00 a pop.

I really think I can get away with just buying four.

Follow up ? Are the six volt batteries that I am looking for have sealed top or the ones you have to add water?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I personnally would look for the batteries that need to be serviced unless you are going to replace with the high dollar Gel Batteries. From reading this thread I believe you will not be buying the high dollar batteries & there really is no need to with a MH. One thing about adding the water. Do not use city tap water. You need to buy a gallon of distilled water, about $3-$5 & a syringe to put the water in. Only fill to the level marker down inside the hole, do not overfill. A cooks squeegy baster will also work well, just don't use for cooking afterwards.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #14

@DSB,, I did that exact thing. They seem to be trying to charge, but it has been almost a week and the are not fully charged. Autofish a forum brother here is going to come and test the batteries today, and I sure appreciate that let me tell you!

Tags
chassis