Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Wet Bay Heater

WE have a 07, 42ft Camelot -- My bay heater is located about a foot past the dump valves -- It faces inboard, away from the bay door -- A friend of mine has a 36ft Camelot, & his faces outboard, toward the door --- My wet bay is 42 inches wide x 70 inches deep, & I moved the snap disc to a location above the dump valves, & away from direct heat -- The area that the heater faces is 42 x 36, with the water pump & a few water lines, but the majority of the lines are behind the heater, where the panel is -- I`ve removed the plastic panel, & wrapped the water lines after removing the hoses that Monaco used, & replaced with Pex --
My question is --- What direction does you heater face ? Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine faces (blows) outward. My space is not as large as yours. My guess is that the direction doesn't matter a great deal. The volume of the overall space need only be marginally kept above 32-degrees to achieve success: no freezing. I'm basing my "guess" on the hot-air flow-rate that the heater produces (which I guess means: BTUs). I've seen a picture on this web-site where the heater was blowing directly on one of the pipes (about 1.5" away) .... a situation that should be avoided.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Bill - my heater could be facing any which way. I wouldn't know because I have thrown 2 of them in the garbage after they quit working. I will not buy a 3rd one.

Next time I go to a cold weather area I will rig up "a light bulb in a cage" and just hope that this will keep my tanks frost free. The cargo or bay heater seems like a good idea but they are just too expensive to keep replacing.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My water bay is approximately 36" wide and 24" deep. The heater is centered against the rear wall facing outward.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #5

In ours the bay heater heater is facing towards the door in the center of the back in the bottom of the wet bay. We have a remote thermometer that we monitor and it is always around 42 degrees or warmer even if the temperature on our weather station shows us to be in the low 20's. Unless you have a thermometer in the bay, how can you know what the temperature really is?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mine faces outward also.

Maybe they know something about you, so they mounted it backwards! Turn it around.

Let's see the pictures of the remodeled wet bay.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Bill, in my 08 Camelot the 12 VDC heater faces the door. It's on a swivel so it can be directed any way I wish. But I leave it there because it works well there and has never created a problem. Mine is supposed to come on at 45 and go off at 58 degrees. I've checked the wet bay temp using the Aladdin readout and it's usually in the high 50's in colder weather and that's on the other side of the wet bay where the temp sender is for the Aladdin. Others have indicated their heater "blows" hot air but if there's a fan in mine it's never came on, just the element.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
WE have a 07, 42ft Camelot -- My bay heater is located about a foot past the dump valves -- It faces inboard, away from the bay door -- A friend of mine has a 36ft Camelot, & his faces outboard, toward the door --- My wet bay is 42 inches wide x 70 inches deep, & I moved the snap disc to a location above the dump valves, & away from direct heat -- The area that the heater faces is 42 x 36, with the water pump & a few water lines, but the majority of the lines are behind the heater, where the panel is -- I`ve removed the plastic panel, & wrapped the water lines after removing the hoses that Monaco used, & replaced with Pex --
My question is --- What direction does you heater face ? Bill Willard
Ours faces out towards the door:

Bay_Heaters - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
.....I've seen a picture on this web-site where the heater was blowing directly on one of the pipes (about 1.5" away) .... a situation that should be avoided.
The OEM 12 volt Cargo Heater would have trouble melting a stick of butter. I don't think you need to worry about it being to close to a pipe. I have a 110VAC ceramic heater installed next to the OEM 12 Volt. It gets much hotter and still does not cause a problem. In fact, I just went out and adjusted ours because it is 11 degrees here this morning and the water bay temp on the remote temp monitor was showing 99. When it gets cold outside the heater runs more. I had the thermostat adjusted to high.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
What direction does you heater face ? Bill Willard
Hey, Billy Paul.

Our heater is near the back wall of the wet bay facing outward.

FWIW,

Dave
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
Mine faces outward also.

Maybe they know something about you, so they mounted it backwards! Turn it around.

Let's see the pictures of the remodeled wet bay.
Thanks Harry, I get the message, & I don`t know how to post pictures -- Someone tried to show me how once, but he wasn`t a very good teacher-- The new panel is cut & ready to install, just waiting on the " slow boat from China " for the new switches -- I`ll turn the heater around before I install the panel , but it was nice to have a warm tile floor in the bath room when the heater was on -- Billy Paul
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My heater faces out to the door, also has a fan that runs when heater is on. A glow can be seen in the heater, not very hot , about 300 watt.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bill, look at your heater and I think you will find it is secured in its bracket with two knobbed screws on each side. Just loosen those screws and you can turn the heater to face as you like. I pointed mine up and slightly into the bay. We also keep a remote temp sensor in the bay, velcro to the white panel, and then keep the receiver in our house or in the coach when traveling (we park the coach just outside our kitchen). The temps will get as high as about 65 degree before turning off and will start at about 35 to 40 degrees in our rig. In our rig you can reach the heater from the outside and position it as you like.

Lew