Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Wet wall on drivers side

Hello We have a05 diplomat. when it rains the wall is not wet but rug below it is. You can see that the paneling has some chafeing but does not feel wet. I have coverd window with plastic and tape and it has not helped. The roof molding above has some separation which I have silicone, every joint on roof close to the front and side I have gone over with self leveling caulk. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
jimloeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
src

I have a 06 and it the same thing look all over the roof and can not see I thing
Old 10-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jimloeh,
Finding these and fixing them can be a real pain. ... I know. Also, you said you had put silicone around the band where the roof meets the side but that is probably where the water intrusion is. You can try silicone, but the consensus is that it will not last. Monaco used something called Geocel which adheres better and lasts longer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...49DR9B8F&psc=1
I would remove the sealers along roof/wall belt-line as best you can. Clean it up real good with acetone and then reapply with Geocel do it well beyond just the area above the window,.. water will run down that channel till it finds a spot to get in. You also might pull the weather strip off and see if there are screws which have rusted out - very common. You should replace them and I would cover each screwheads with the Geocel as well
Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Jim i suspect your side wall is pulling loose from the roof cap caused generly by the slide out awning and the screws or rivets rusting into, if you are handy with tools it is double and i have posted a procedure that Rex Darley RNP wrote up years ago and would be glad to share if you cant find it. Inspect your roof a while up there have someone to put out the slide out and see if the sidewall is moving out pulling loose.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

thanks for link I already order one Jim
Old 10-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

Thanks Something I never thought of
Old 10-04-2018, 03:38 AM   #7
src

Walt2137 can you post that on the wall pulling loose thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 05:04 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Roof to sidewall repair

Where the roof and sidewall join I had a problem. The roof to sidewall opened up just
above my driver’s window on my coach, however on a friends it was between his slides.
Mine had screws and they were rusted to the point they broke off. At some point water
had gotten inside the area and caused the screws to rust.

The trim strip cover between the roof and side wall is removable. It is a rubber/plastic
piece that snaps on over a metal backer. The metal backer is screwed to the wall
where the roof meets the wall. If the cover is painted, be very very careful removing it
and DO NOT BEND it or you will crack the paint.

To remove the cover, first cut the caulk above and below the cover edge. Then you
can gently rotate one edge and it will come off. You may need a stiff putty knife to
assist in getting the first few inches off and the rest can be done by hand. Clean
all the caulk off the cover and coach using a plastic putty knife and clean up with
denatured alcohol.

Now drill new holes for 3/16” pop rivets with a grip range of at least ˝” to 5/8” or a bit
longer. I placed more rivets that original screws. Now put a dab of caulk over the rivet
end, not much, just enough to close the center hole.

Replace the cover and caulk top and bottom using Geocel 2300. You can get it in
white, clear or black. Tape off above and below the caulk area with blue painters tape
and near the edge of the cover so you have only the area you want caulk to adhere to
exposed. Place the caulk and spray on a solution of water and dish soap on the fresh
caulk and use your finger to smooth the caulk and remove any excess. Then peel the
tape off, spray again and wipe with your finger to smooth out the caulk edges where
the tape was removed.

Your coach may have rivets rather than screws, and if so they were either too short or
incorrectly placed and did not penetrate the metal behind the roof and sidewall. Also if
you have full body paint, you will have to repaint the area where caulk is placed as the
old caulk will need to be removed. If your paint is black in that area, you are in luck as
you can get the caulk in black. Just be very careful cleaning the old caulk off.

Rex Darley 01 Diplomat 40 PBD

I would use SS screws instead of rivets.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #9

Walt I did my best to reattach molding when we bought coach 8 years ago. And I used a clear silicone and filled all the groves and looking at now, it looks tight as can be but I did order geocel calk and will redo the whole thing again if it ever stops raining.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The molding is not the problim generly its the sidewall screws or rivets rusting loose and the slideout awning pulling on the sidewall seperating it from the roof and then leaking.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #11

Wet floor driver side

Thank you Walt2137. Great information.
I have had my MH in the shop 4 times last year having the pressure test and they found nothing. Now I am slowly moving a tarp back one foot at a time to in the rain until I find something.
You noted 1/2" to 5/8" grip range. Just confirming, when you drill for adding new and additional screws you are drilling all the way into the frame and securing the wall/roof. Is there any worry about hitting anything else important?

Again, Thank you.

Jim
JandBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Jim your profile shows your coach to be a 04 Dip, it was Rex that stated to drill new holes and use rivets but i did not drill new holes an used stanless steel screws that does a better job. The early Dips had rivets Rex had a 02 . The screws in my coach were not SS and were rusted. If your side wall is getting wet i would do the repair it is not that hard. I also had the pressure test that showed nothing of importance, i think the test is only as good as the tester and I undoubtedly had a crappie tester.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #13

Wow, great information here. I have been chasing water on the floor under driver window for a while.
I removed and re-sealed the window. No luck.
I had the Seal Tech pressure test done. They found nothing. All seams on the aluminum roof has good chaulk. Slide gaskets all appear good.
I have a 04 40' Safari Cheetah ( built by Monaco).
Looks like I will be pulling off that seal strip to see if my sidewall screws/rivets have failed.
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimloeh View Post
Hello We have a05 diplomat. when it rains the wall is not wet but rug below it is. You can see that the paneling has some chafeing but does not feel wet. I have coverd window with plastic and tape and it has not helped. The roof molding above has some separation which I have silicone, every joint on roof close to the front and side I have gone over with self leveling caulk. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Caulk won't stick to silicone so it's probably still leaking. You'll need to remove all the silicone and thoroughly clean the area as you need to remove it all before anything will stick ever again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver