Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What about Speedco service!

I just found out that there's a Speedco about 65 miles from us. Do any of you use them for your maintenance service and what has been your experience with them. I thought they would probably be a lot less expensive than the diesel shops for routine maintenance. Thanks for your input!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #2

Speedco - A big yes

Very professional the ones I have used, clean, dependable, reasonable.
I always call ahead with my filter #'s as they sometimes don't stock our filters, but if you give them a day or 2 notice they will have them.
I love the operation.
TriciaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just found out that there's a Speedco about 65 miles from us. Do any of you use them for your maintenance service and what has been your experience with them. I thought they would probably be a lot less expensive than the diesel shops for routine maintenance. Thanks for your input!
I use Speedco and they are very professional and a lot less expensive than my local Cat dealer. They do my engine and generator oil changes and filters. There is an upcharge for CAT branded filters but Fleetguard filters are standard. They will also do an on site oil analysis for an extra charge. The one I use is very RV friendly and put me in an end bay and I was allowed into the bay and watch all the work being done and too verify my SCA test results and all the torque wrench clicks. You can go to their web site for a list of locations, services and costs.

Speedco
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have used them twice.

On both occasions they did not have my primary fuel filter in stock. However, I always carry spare filters with me and after a short talk with the managers, Speedco offered me a resonable reduction in their fee when using my filter. I would recommend that you call your Speedco in advance, just to make sure that they do have the filters needed.

At our first visit, the guy's greasing the zerks did overlook quiet a few a them. To prevent this happening a second time, I copied the lubrication chart from the manual and highlighted all the zerks I wanted them to do. This worked a treat and they all got done this time.

Be aware that Speedco will pre-fill both primary and secondary fuel filter. This is not what Cummins is recommending but having written to Speedco about this, they tell me that they have done this ever since they started and they have not had a problem ever. By pre-filling the filters they avoid lengthy priming procedures.

I am happy with their service and will use them next time I need oil- , filterchange and lubrication. Last time was in Kingman, AZ and the manager gave us absolutely first class service.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #5

GREAT SERVICE! I would not even think about having Oil Lube Filters changed anywhere else.
Robert
Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'll give the same response I did on RV.net.

Hear, hear!! We did Speedco for a full service lube & oil last Sept in Joplin, Mo om our way back to Branson. They actually wanted me to witness the installation of the filters and drain plug, including checking the setting on the torque wrench.
The only oddity is that you have to run your rig in "backwards" because the engine is in the rear. The only snag was getting the oil analysis. The office lady was having trouble figuring out how to run the machine.
Talking to the guys in the shop revealed that they had all been employed in similar jobs with other service outfits so they were experienced.

Ron
Old 02-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #7

I usually do my own servicing but I will be due for an oil change in Decemeber and we will be on the road. I just called Speedco and hey will do an oil change for $170.00 plus any enviro charges and tax. This includes changing the 2 fuel filters anad a lube. If I do it myself it is about $110.00. Their charges are very reasonable. Great Dane: I also prefill my fuel filters. Every Cummins ( Fleetguard) filter has the instructions ( picture) on the filters. You use one of the orange plugs in the centre hole and pour the fuel into the small holes around the edges. THis way the fuel will you pour will be filtered. The one time I tried doing the priming my MH would not start. I was in Mexico 65 miles from any mechanical shop and was worried. After cycling the ignition for about 15 minutes it finally started. Never again. I had visions of Cummins charging me about $250.00 to send out a service truck.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have used only Speedco for our maintenance since new. They have gone out of their way to help, advise, and educate us. We use the Speedco off I-5 in Oregon but based on previous posts it sounds like the service is company wide...what a concept
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote for Speedco. There oil change, lube and filters, about $210.00, local Cummins dealer $410 plus.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I will change my own if at home to avoid the $450 charge my local Cummins dealer charged but when on the road we used Speedco for the first time in NC and was very impressed. They also didn't have one of my fuel filters so I had to get one later on the road. Great service and yes I had to come in the exit door because of the rear motor but not a big deal. Didn't even have to drop our trailer.

CHEERS
Old 02-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherpilot View Post
....The only oddity is that you have to run your rig in "backwards" because the engine is in the rear.......

Ron
Another vote for Speedco. We use this one:
Knoxville, TN
I-40/75, Exit 369

They tell us to pull the motorhome in from the opposite direction that the trucks pull in. That places the engine over the desired area on the grease pit and the motorhome is completely inside the building.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your comments! Speedco, here we come
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Works for me, not one near me but I go throgh there neighbor hood on the way back and forth. Also pull the DP in the exit, leave the toad attached.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just used a speedco yesteday in Shreveport LA. They did not have the correct oil filter (LF9009) but the tech said he would give me an upgraded one for the same price (LF3000). I just checked my Cummins book and it says do not use the LF3000. If I wasnt 200 miles away I would go back and make them change it. For the money they can't be beat, but be carefull, make sure they have the right filters....Bruce

Tags
service