Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What brand/type electrical connectors are used in the 05 Beaver - Monaco?

I have been looking for the brand/type of electrical connectors used in the low-voltage wiring inside the coach.
On the connector body it says "AMP". I looked through the AMP catalog and the closest match seems to be the "DETSCH STAMPED & FORMED"DEUTSCH Stamped & Formed Contacts | TE Connectivity This pin does not appear to have the split post/tip.

or "AMPSEAL 16" line. It's still unclear whether or not that is the style. http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-CAT...=54177%2041620

I would like to get some "pins".

This is a photo a what I'm working with. If anyone knows anything about these let me know. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	183017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	183018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0256.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	183019  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

Try Northwest RV Supply in Eugene Or, they might have some connectors, or salvage yards. Allied Electronics has AMP products as do other electronic suppliers.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

Might be molex, try this
https://www.mcmaster.com/#molex-connectors/=1aa7m8n
Old 11-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was thinking Molex too.

(but wife said I usually am wrong)
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Hi CountryB; Looks like the Molex could be you best shot, but if not sure give Beaver Coach Sales in Bend Oregon a call. Someone there should be able to answer you question. Good luck
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #6

The OP states the pins are made by AMP, different company than Molex. Either should be easy to find.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #7

CountryB-

Monaco used Amp "Universal Mate-N-Lok" connectors, both the original and the "II" (that is, "2") version.

The original and "II" connectors can be mated, but the shells themselves and the pins that are in them are different for the original and "II" versions.

The original shell is a one-piece design. Removing the pins requires a pin removal tool.

The "II" shell is a two-piece design. I believe that's the style shown in your pictures. The pins can be removed by separating the shell pieces.

I buy these parts from Allied Electronics, as they have no minimum order quantity. Here's a link to the Mate-N-Lok connectors at their site. Here's a similar link to the "II" products.

I standardized on the original version so as not to have to keep multiple versions of shells and pins. I bought a pin removal tool.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ENG_CS_82181_SOFTSHELL_STANDARD_DENSITY_0508.pdf (2.88 MB, 56 views)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They are Molex connectors. Pins are available on eBay and Amazon AFAIK. If you don't have the proper crimping tool, soldering is considered the proper technique.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #9

CountryB-

A little more info. The part shown in the picture is a Universal Mate-N-Lok II, part number 770022-1. The Allied Electronics page is here, and the datasheet drawing here. If you want to put new pins in that shell make sure you order Universal Mate-N-Lok II pins, not the "original" Universal Mate-N-Lok pins.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
CountryB-

A little more info. The part shown in the picture is a Universal Mate-N-Lok II, part number 770022-1. The Allied Electronics page is here, and the datasheet drawing here. If you want to put new pins in that shell make sure you order Universal Mate-N-Lok II pins, not the "original" Universal Mate-N-Lok pins.
Thanks! I love this forum.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

I'm trying to understand this. I have a few questions.
1. We have either the AMP version 1 or 2, OR we have the Molex system? Is that correct?
2. I would guess there is some sort of labeling on the connectors?? Otherwise how do you tell?
3. They are NOT interchangeable?

thanks
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

Bill-

My Monaco coach uses the Universal Mate-N-Lok II (UMNL2) connectors. By the picture in the first post, so does "CountryB's" coach. Several of the Monaco drawings I have refer to part numbers that are either Universal Mate-N-Lok (UMNL) or UMNL2 parts. I have seen other pictures and threads that lead me to believe Monaco used the UMNL or UMNL2 connectors on multiple coaches from multiple model years.

That said, "your mileage may vary."

Molex connectors can be similar in appearance to the UMNL connectors. Here is a link to a 4x3 Molex connector I have used on a different coach. This Molex connector and the UMNL/UMNL2 connectors are not interchangeable.

The UMNL and UMNL2 shells and pins have the same dimensions. That means you can plug a wired UMNL connector into a wired UMNL2 connector and it will work well.

What is different between the UMNL and UMNL2 series are the shell and pin designs. Thus, you must use UMNL pins with UMNL shells, and UMNL2 pins with UMNL2 shells. Also, the UMNL design requires a pin-removal tool; the UMNL2 design does not require a tool.

You know you have a UMNL2 connector shell when you see it's made of two parts, with a pair of clips to hold the two parts together. It's the split shell that allows you to remove pins without a tool. The drawing to which I lined in post #9 shows this clearly. A UMNL shell is a single-part unit.

For both UMNL and UMNL2, if you see the term "plug" it means a male shell, and the word "cap" means a female shell. Pins also come in male and female, known as "pins" and "sockets," respectively." "CountryB's" pictures are of a 12-position "matrix" plug with (male) pins. "Matrix" means the pin positions are not in a single line. (For example, a 4-position shell may come in 1x4 linear or 2x2 matrix versions). I found the Monaco connectors are usually plugs-with-pins and caps-with-sockets.

UMNL/UMNL2 pins/sockets come in multiple sizes, three of which I found most useful:

10-12 AWG
14-20 AWG
18-24 AWG

A decent crimp tool with a die for uninsulated terminals works well on these pins and sockets.

As I said in my prior post, I've been able to get by with just UMNL parts because I have usually had to build new connectors, rather than modifying UMNL2 connectors.

Now you know about everything I do.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Bill-

My Monaco coach uses the Universal Mate-N-Lok II (UMNL2) connectors. By the picture in the first post, so does "CountryB's" coach. Several of the Monaco drawings I have refer to part numbers that are either Universal Mate-N-Lok (UMNL) or UMNL2 parts. I have seen other pictures and threads that lead me to believe Monaco used the UMNL or UMNL2 connectors on multiple coaches from multiple model years.

That said, "your mileage may vary."

Molex connectors can be similar in appearance to the UMNL connectors. Here is a link to a 4x3 Molex connector I have used on a different coach. This Molex connector and the UMNL/UMNL2 connectors are not interchangeable.

The UMNL and UMNL2 shells and pins have the same dimensions. That means you can plug a wired UMNL connector into a wired UMNL2 connector and it will work well.

What is different between the UMNL and UMNL2 series are the shell and pin designs. Thus, you must use UMNL pins with UMNL shells, and UMNL2 pins with UMNL2 shells. Also, the UMNL design requires a pin-removal tool; the UMNL2 design does not require a tool.

You know you have a UMNL2 connector shell when you see it's made of two parts, with a pair of clips to hold the two parts together. It's the split shell that allows you to remove pins without a tool. The drawing to which I lined in post #9 shows this clearly. A UMNL shell is a single-part unit.

For both UMNL and UMNL2, if you see the term "plug" it means a male shell, and the word "cap" means a female shell. Pins also come in male and female, known as "pins" and "sockets," respectively." "CountryB's" pictures are of a 12-position "matrix" plug with (male) pins. "Matrix" means the pin positions are not in a single line. (For example, a 4-position shell may come in 1x4 linear or 2x2 matrix versions). I found the Monaco connectors are usually plugs-with-pins and caps-with-sockets.

UMNL/UMNL2 pins/sockets come in multiple sizes, three of which I found most useful:

10-12 AWG
14-20 AWG
18-24 AWG

A decent crimp tool with a die for uninsulated terminals works well on these pins and sockets.

As I said in my prior post, I've been able to get by with just UMNL parts because I have usually had to build new connectors, rather than modifying UMNL2 connectors.

Now you know about everything I do.
thanks for taking the time to post that.

It is incredibly helpful.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #14

Mike, If you don't have one this will come in handy crimping the connector pins back to the wires. In all the Caterpillar Off Road Equipment I worked around used the Deutsch pin connector systems.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-G-TOOL-AI....c100005.m2219

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, electric, electrical, monaco