RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We started with a tent and went from there. The BEST thing is having our house with us where ever we chose to park or stay.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, what a great topic! For us, first, it was making use of a neglected artifact that sat in the driveway (if anyone wants to read that story, check out Tony's blog at www.blackcatvintagetrials.com, and read "RVing for Beginners". That story starts Before Brenda... but moves into our RV Lifestyle). What was to be better than a bad motel room in the middle of nowhere so Tony could compete nationally, turned into an absolute love of our own adventure, our own rules, relying on each other, laughing at our mistakes and celebrating our life. We make memories with every trip, with every preparation, with every re-telling of every story. We meet and become friends with so many great people, we talk, we play, we plan, and, as needed, we even work in the coach (so as to be able to keep the coach!).

I love being the "Stewardess" to my "Captain", to bring him coffee as he drives along, to read trivia questions to him as we travel, to smell brownies baking as we ride along. I love being able to park almost anywhere and feel like we're in our own "cocoon". And, as politically incorrect as this may sound, we love to be able to smoke, and drink, and eat, and have our dogs with us... anywhere.

A long answer to a short question...

Brenda, of...

Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #31

I agree with Mbl Cndo. I really like my Bounder but most of all I like the people I meet when traveling in my RV. Like everyone on this Forum, campers are the nicest people in the world.
dickfrompasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Letsgoagain & All: Great thread!!! Thanks. Ya know, I think we tend to get a little too focused on all the technical stuff we all have to deal with, and although it's one of the GREAT features of the iRV2 forum to be able to exchange technical info, especially "rig specific" info with owners of rigs like ours, we tend to not talk so much about the "lifestyle", the "feelings", and our "experiences". Thanks Letsgoagain for steering some discussion this way.
What do I like best about our motorhome and the lifestyle?...I guess there are many things...when I remember to remember them!!! But, I guess for me..it's those early morning sunrise periods, when the wife is still fast asleep, the cats (yeah...3 of em!!) are curled up sleeping here and there inside the rig, and the dawn is breaking outside whereever we are parked. It almost always seems to be a magical time. And..what's funny is that this magic seems present whether you're parked in some concrete covered RV service lot, OR, in some cozy campground with a beautiful vista of the sun coming up over distant mountains, as here in Arizona, or over the ocean fjords, as we saw in Alaska, or over those vast golden praries in South Dakota with the Meadowlarks singing. It's a magic moment...and...I guess for me....what I like best! Thanks again for this thread. Hope others chime in. Steve & Lynette
Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #33

Dog shows are to blame for us having our motorhome. We stared off showing a dog a few years back and discovered there seemed to be a fair amount of down time between showing a dog and groups. We walked around and thought what better place to spend down time than in a rv?? Sure there are many more reasons that just that...discoved the folks loved talking about their rv and most wanted to show them off and invited us in. For about two years we would rent class A and C motorhomes not knowing what we wanted or needed or if a 5er was for us. Well I never seem to do things in a small way..we jumped into a new 06 Endeaver as our first try. Love it, think we selected the right floor plan and all. So far we have only used it for dog shows and some day we will try using it just for fun. I ditto everything everyone has said so far as to what they like. I can tell you it makes me feel good inside to drive and use the motorhome..I feel like a king. The dogs are comfortable, we are comfortable and life is good. Ever notice how people look at your rig as you drive down the road?? Look out, you may see me wave as we pass each other. Happy trails.

Ed
Old 01-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #34

LOVE no longer freting over: teetering home value, deteriorating neighborhood, jobs leaving the state.

After the last round of corporate downsizing: took leap of faith. House sold in record time. Long-distance, urban-commuter, glamour, gas-guzzlers...liquidated. Packed what we couldn't part with into a storage unit, and hit the road as full-timers.

Helped blow the funk off us both

Am loving our Verizon 'air-card' and Directv/sat dish. Then the automatic: awnings, levelers, slide-outs, HUGE refrigerator AND queen bed: SOOO much nicer than our Class C days...Hooh Ha!

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Bludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Great topic! I always envied people cruising down the highway in their big fancy motorhomes...er...I mean coaches. I never dreamed that someday I'd own one of my own, especially since my wife said she hated camping unless it was in the Hilton.
We started building our new home in the Sierra Mountains about 300 miles north of where we were living. We decided to buy a 28' travel trailer to park on our lot so we could visit on weekends during construction. Well I convinced my wife to take a couple of sidetrips with the trailer and.....yep she enjoyed it.
It was an easy task to talk her into looking at motorhomes at the RV show and pretty soon she was as excited as me and we ended up with our current coach. I'm still working so I haven't been able to take too many long trips.
I absolutely LOVE driving this thing, so comfortable and rides like a dream. We both love taking it when we visit distant friends and get to sleep in our own bed. Our dog & cat prefer it to the kennel also....lol. I'm still learning new things about the coach thanks to this site.

Looking forward to our March trip to Harrisburg and meeting MM and Sacs
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #36

digNbubbs,
I had to laugh when I read the part about having two living spaces prevented you from killing each other. I know although humorous that each of us at times need our space and it is more difficult in a motorhome.
Also what is it that makes us want another motorhome. I don't know how many times we've looked since we've had ours and actually dickered with the salesman on the price of a few. Someone has to stop me on that or the children won't have any inheritance.
By the way I love those Jeep Wrangler Sahara's. Is yours a 4 door and how is it working out as your towed? The times I've priced them they were a little to proud of them. Eventually I'll get them where they want me though. Letsgoagain
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by digNbubbs:
If I had to pick one thing I liked best about our motorhome, it would have to be the floorplan. After fulltiming for a year, Ang and I talk often about how fortunate we were to find the perfect floorplan for us. With the office in the rear, we have two living spaces, which has prevented us from killing each other It allows me to work with a focused brain, and I don't have to clear off the kitchen table for dinner!!

We are at the Monaco Service Center in Wildwood, Florida right now. When we were coming up with our list of repair items, we were surprised how short it was. We really tried hard to come up with stuff since our one year of owning the coach was up, but only came up with a few items. We have been very happy with our coach, and Monaco.

Good thing they discontinued this floorplan for this year. We would be in a new Camelot/Scepter after the Supershow last weekend

--kev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Answering the "what do I like best" question has proved easy....it's a great place to continue to spend money to fix something, every time we travel in it!!!!

Seriously, we love the RV life style, and the wonderful people we have met and become friends with...our 01 Dynasty is still working through some ISSUES, but we still love it!!!
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
We have both a stick house and a 36 foot motorhome which we love to travel in. We've been doing the winter snowbird thing going to the Yuma area for the last 5 to 6 years. Last year we tried something new. Went to Rockport, Texas on the gulf coast. Fell in love with the area and this year bought a lot to set up our own RV lot. Our plans our to sell our stick house and go full-time, but due to the housing problem we'll probably wait 'til 2009 or so. We still plan on traveling during the summer months, head to the RV lot in October of each year and staying until April. However, we will still take a January trip to Quartzsite for the annual show, then return to Rockport.

Can't wait to get the house sold, so we don't have the worry about it. The RV lot won't really be any worry, because there won't be anything there but a small shed.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Bob,

Have a friend who lives in Maine and did exactly what you just did a few years ago. He bought a pad in and RV Community near Tampa, FL. It's a gated community with both pads and houses featureing motorhome garages and ports built into the house. He loves spending the winters there.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 AM   #40
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The one thing I like best about my MH is that it's in Juno Beach, FL this winter, and I'm in it!

It's great being able to get out of the cold and go wherever I want.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #41

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
friends and new freinds you meet all the time.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #42

We bought ours for hurricane evacuation so we could pack up the family including pets and not have to worry about hotels etc accepting the dog or cat.

It has however opened up a world of opportunities beyound that in family recreation, from supporting a day at the beach to two week trips traveling cross country or Canada.

It has also proven to be a good platform for supporting the raising of houses of worship and hurricane relief work both of which my entire family is involved in. Carries our tools and provides a respite and facilities for our fellow workers. The generator has powered many a job site when times were tough and the power grid was down even serving as a mobile kitchen at times.

It has allowed me despite a crippliing disability to get out and help others learn to do drywall, trim and a variety of the other trades including tool repair.

When you are able to help others and also teach them how to help themselves it is very satifying.