Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What do you think

So, my wife and I just returned from our first real trip in our 2008 Monaco Cayman XL 35SBD, nice coach, no issues to speak of at all.

Why were able to use this trip to write down pros and cons of our Coach and our travel experience.
  • Coach performed extremely well
    Decided the modified Sleep number queen bed is just not quite big enough for my 6' frame
    Cummins performed extremely well
    Jeep towed wonderfully behind it
    All in all great trip
My wife and I own a business so we of course had to spend some time each day working, our biggest issue in our coach is that there are only two slides and not a lot of space.

We have decided that we really like RVing, enjoyed seeing some of the country but we need a bigger RV.

I am a big fan of Monaco so we have been looking at used Monaco's, we found a 2008 Monaco Cayman XL 37PDQ, four slides, 8700 miles, nice upgrades, etc. Basically two ft longer and two extra slides. Huge difference inside.
We also found a 2006 Monaco Knight 40' not sure of the exact model but it has a king bed and an actual desk area in the bedroom. 24k miles, a bit dated, priced $15k less than the 2008 Cayman 37PDQ.

I guess I am just soliciting your views, especially if you own EITHER of these models. Pros and Cons. I am not in a huge hurry to buy a new one, but if the price is good and seems like a fair deal.... well I should probably jump on it.
kandb3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

Hello there! My wife and I own a 2008 Cayman XL 37PDQ and we are quite happy with it. I just upgraded the trailing arms and suspension with the products from Source Engineering (lots of info on why in the forum) and would highly recommend doing the same if you choose any of the rr4r chassis.
We spent 9 months in our rig last year and enjoyed every minute. Drove the Alaska Highway and plan to do it again in 2012.
Other than the known issues with the stock trailing arms, we have found the quality of the coach to be just great.
Good luck.
JeepnChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to the Group...

Although I have not had any experience with the Monaco Brand, we really love our new to us 2005 Fleetwood Revolution. Having 4 slides makes a huge difference and even though I did not think that the slightly longer length of the regular queen bed in this coach would be a huge difference over our previous "short queen"....it is remarkable how much we notice that extra 5 inches. We are both tall people and needed that extra few inches to sleep well.

Best of luck in your search and keep us posted.

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
JDT

The 06 Knight would be a 40PLQ and is one notch above the Cayman. The advantage would be a larger 8.3 liter Cummins ISC 330 hp engine and the 8 air bag RR8R chassis. Not sure what transmission the Cayman has but the Knight would have the 6 speed Allison. No trailing arms issue to deal with as could be possible with the Cayman, unless it has already been done. The Knight would need tires in the next couple of years if you use the 7 year change rule. 24K miles would not be a factor for me as that is only about 4 or 5K per year.

Not sure about the pricing. You need to get the NADA prices for wholesale, without options, so I read here, and go from there.

Thought I would chime in on the Knight's side as my Ambassador is its corporate twin and we have had very good luck with it, other than the Norcold 1200LRIM fridge, which is another whole story. In short, a number of us have had problems with them and replaced them with residential fridges.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
thanks to all

Thanks to those of you who took some time to respond. You know you can just get overwhelmed with all the Coach's out there and I cannot fathom buying one new.

We are just really torn between the two, and I have heard much about the trailing arms, I need to follow up on that even with my current Coach.

Well, we will keep looking a bit more. Nada is a good place to look for pricing as well.

thx again to all!
kandb3293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have an 08 knight, 40 ft 4 slide, and we love it. I bought it over competing manufacturers for the rr8r chassis, the outboard mounted air bags make it ride and handle much better than anything else out there.

The r4 chassis is flawed. I wouldn't touch one with someone elses 10 foot pole, new trailing arms or not.

Just mho of course.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am with Jim (JDT) on the miles thing. A big diesel is not even broke in at 24K. We now have 32K on ours and have seen steady fuel mileage improvement in the last 15K. I think it is just about broke in now. These are over the road truck engines and considered to have a million mile life before overhaul is required. I want even go 7 years on the tires. We have 6 new tires on our 2006. We have read to many stories about tires that looked good but blew out at 60+ MPH. Yes they are costly, but you and your wife are priceless!

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
40 feet and the king bed make a huge difference in the livability for us. I'm a big guy (long, not wide) and the queen was just a tad too over-populated (me-wife-cat-other cat). You will find however that the campground maneuvering is a tad more "interesting" in some of the older CG's. I do agree with everyone that the RR8 is the better chassis and moving from the B series Cummins to either the C or I series is a big plus.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #9

We have 2008 Knight 38 PDQ. Have full timed in it for over 4 years. Generally has been a good coach. Minor leak issues. Having to replace slide seals and have replaced toilet 3 times. Ride is great. CUMMINS 330 engine is good. Plenty of power. I would stay away from the 4 air bag system. Knight has 8. Good luck.
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote