Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I have just purchased a 2007 Diplomat SFT. I want to put my solar panels on it and it comes "pre-wired for solar panel". What does that include?
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have just purchased a 2007 Diplomat SFT. I want to put my solar panels on it and it comes "pre-wired for solar panel". What does that include?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Great question, Luke....I can honestly tell you that as an SFT owner... I had no clue that we had that option. I will have to check our MSRP to see if it standard on our model...
..Rob... what about yours?

(See...I can even admit when I don't know something! )

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The 2007 Dip brochure shows it as standard on all models.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
OK... Luke.. I just typed what the 2006 Monaco Owner's manual said... and LOST THE POST!!!

Ultimately - it says the solar panel will handle parasitic loads, alarm systems and natural self-discharge of batteries and other like items.
Robin_M or Sacs.. isn't this what the Xantrex takes care of for less than $120 ??

Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Ultimately - it says the solar panel will handle parasitic loads, alarm systems and natural self-discharge of batteries and other like items.
Robin_M or Sacs.. isn't this what the Xantrex takes care of for less than $120 ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, with the Xantrex echo~charge, you'd have to keep the coach plugged in. With a solar panel, of course, the sun provides the power.

I, like you, didn't realize the Diplomat was pre-wired for solar panels. I probably read that at some point, but it didn't stick, since I have the ability to keep my coach plugged in and don't need solar panels.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I think what that means is the wiring harnesses for the system are in place, all you need od is buy the components.

Our Imp had it listed in the installed features but the Alladin showed no voltage from it. The dealer gave us the usual "they all do that" response to my "fix It" request. Later, at the Monaco center in Ind they found that a component circuit board hadn't been installed at the factory during the coach mfgr process.

Call tech support and find out what is needed to get it installed. I'm sure there are a few aftermarket guys out there who sell these systems who would be glad to sell you one or additional panels for it. The system is expandable, but to what extent I don't know.

Fencer
Old 11-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I opened the compartment where the solar panel components are located and there was a bundle of wires with connectors and also a small circuit board that the internal diagram said was solar related. I don't know if it has the solar controller or not but it looked like it had everything except the panel.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Well...Sacs informed me today that we have a solar panel installed from factory...but now thatI am thinking about it... (and according to the time period that I had originally typed that was lost)the solar panel only works properly IF you will be in sunlight from something like 9:30 to 2:30 each day. Well...that means we needed to add Xantrex for the winter months while in Ca. The solar panel will not be working in Oregon...so I am sooo glad to have the Xantrex!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
According to Monaco Tech Services, there is a 10 guage wire from the roof to the box in the battery compartment. Then there is some kind of regulator/controller,with 14 guage wire to the battery. It was a mystery to them, so we are going to talk to a real engineer tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Luke,
Ours came with the optional solar panel already on the roof. I don't know wire sizes, but it feeds down to a controller in the rear of the batt compartment and then on to the house batts.
I would be surprised if the "Pre-wired" came with the controller.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just found this "old thread" and was wondering if any of you with a solar panel on the roof has added a gauge. It would be nice to be able to see if the panel is working and by how much it is adding to the batteries when not connected to shore power.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #13

I have the 07 camelot and it came with 2#10 wires from roof to the passenger side of engine compartment.I ordered 2 solar panels and controler from AM Solar and instaled it myself.

2007 Monaco Camelot
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I ended up with a http://www.amsolar.com/hpv30.html and the monitor. It installed very easily and I have been happy with it the last nine months. I have 250 amps of solar panels on it. I particulary like that it charges the engine battery, also.

The installer said that he had cut a hole in a couple of Monaco roofs, where it said "cut here for solar cable" and did not find the cable. He ran a 8 guage cable across the roof and drilled a hole where the ladder comes up and ran it down the rear area where my dip stick is located and into the battery compartment.