Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What size is the air chuck coupling

MH is 2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ. In the area behind the generator slide out are two air chucks, one male and one female. I was told at the walk through the male is for presserizing the brake system in case of engine failure and the female can be used for air supply outside of the MH. The male will accept a standard 1/4" air chuck that is on my hose. The female fitting will not accept the 1/4" nipple on my air hose, the nipple is to big. I have been unable to find a smaller nipple. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I spent about $30.00 buying every type know to modern man. After all failed to work, I e-mailed Monaco Tech Support with my question and they e-mail me the information on the correct type fitting.

Now, if you think I can find that e-mail or the print out I made to be sure I could find it in the future, I have some swamp land in Florida I would like to sell.

E-mail Monaco.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #3

The thread is a standard SAE thread: Just go to a truck parts store and buy the corecct nipple. They will match it to your brand. Be sure to use teflon thread when you change it out.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
On my Camelot, there are four air system outlets where yours are. The top one should have a blue cap on it and would be used to deliver air pressure to the brake cans to release the brakes in the event of an engine or compressor failure. The second one down can be used to deliver air pressure to air up tires or other applications. The third one and fourth ones are bleeders for the front and rear air tanks. The one you want to use will accept a 1/4" male pipe thread quick disconnect either male or female.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks folks, I may have been a little confusing in the original post when referring to the "male and female". I am talking about the ends where to plug in the air hose as M/F not the threaded ends. I have called Monaco tech support and was told what I am looking at is an "F" style automotive. He also stated I could dump all of the air and change the coupling. That is what I will do. Thanks again for the responses, nice to know there is help out there.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #6

Female is a "quick connect" so be sure the the system is purged of air pressure. Ours has four manual valves and the air suspension dump to completly remove all air pressure from the motorhome so be careful.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A note of caution, when changing the nipples etc you should consider that there is one in front that is for use by a tow operator to air up your systems to facilitate releasing the brakes. The one time our coach was towed we didn't need to use that facility because the engine was able to air up the tanks before the tow operator arrived. In the event that the operator needs to use that fitting he may encounter one that isn't compatible with his if it has been changed. Just a thought!
Ron
Pusherpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thought I posted in this thread

You will need, One high resoultion digital camera, One ruler

Holding ruler under the nipple,, Extending along the length of the nipple, Photograph from the side

Holding under the nipple parallel to the rig, photograph from the end

Now, take photographs, and ruler (Same ruler) to air-fitting store such as Lowes, Home Depot, Joe's hardware, Sam's auto parts et-al

Shop
Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #9

There are two styles of quick disconnect fittings: "automotive" and "industrial". You can distinguish between them by looking at the rings on the female connector.

Here's the industrial: Paint Accessories - Calwestern Sales

Here's the automotive: Paint Accessories - Calwestern Sales

Notice the three stippled rings on one and the two on the other.

I replaced the connector on our rig so I could attach all my existing hoses to it.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If you are close to a Lowes or Home Depot you can get the fittings there.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Seems like some confusiion and mistaken opinions on the air valve block. From the '08 Camelot Manual: The top female coupler, Universal Air Coupler, (has a blue cap) is for use ONLY for inflating tires, air mattresses, inflateable toys, etc.....and is "not designed to charge the air system on the motorhome". Second male coupler is the Air System Charge inlet. Third and Fourth are air tank drain valves.

The Universal Air Coupler, the only one we really care about, accepts a "Type C Automotive male coupler.

By the way, Harbor Freight has bins full of both Industrial and Automotive quick connects. Cheap too.

Joe Greenwood
'07 Camelot 42PLQ
Old 10-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocop View Post
Seems like some confusiion and mistaken opinions on the air valve block. From the '08 Camelot Manual: The top female coupler, Universal Air Coupler, (has a blue cap) is for use ONLY for inflating tires, air mattresses, inflateable toys, etc.....and is "not designed to charge the air system on the motorhome". Second male coupler is the Air System Charge inlet. Third and Fourth are air tank drain valves.

Joe Greenwood
'07 Camelot 42PLQ
This is what my manual states also.
Thanks for the tip on Harbor Freight. There is one not far from me.