RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

When do you replace roof Air Conditioners?

Folks - Looking for some advice - I have a 2007 Monaco Dynasty with three 15k BTU Penguin A/C units. Sitting still it cools just fine - going down the road - it gets warm inside.

I've tested all three units - they all pull 15 Amps on a hot day, they all put out about 67 degree air - but I'm wondering would it make any sense to replace them at this point? Will newer units work better and help my temperature situation while driving?

Thanks in advance!

-jw

jedwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Replacement? when they can't be repaired or you want an upgrade
I would think moving vs sitting would make them work better - with the cooling effects of the air flowing over the units and the fact of cooling less cubic feet if slides are involved...

Maybe they just need a 'refresh' cleaning filters, coils, etc. ? Do you use your dash air to supplement?
I'm sure you've tried turning the thermostat down So far, we usually turn the dash air off it gets so cold in there - will find out tonight as we vacate Texas for vacation in Colorado !

one thing we've notice is that most of the air outlets are covered by the slides so we end up closing the ones blowing right on top the slides and just use those in the center and even then, we open the registers on each unit to dump the air straight out without going thru the duct work. (see the pic below with them open)

Is this the type of grill you have ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2929.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	134365  

Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Most ac units cool to 42 to 48 degrees. So, first I'd check the roof unit to see if the condenser has become clogged up. You will have to remove the plastic cover for this. then fire up the unit to make sure the condenser fan is operating. Next clean the evaporator from inside the coach. With both of these clean then you should get 42 to 48 degrees at the ac unit. Not from your vent. When an ac unit fails it is usually from coolant leakage or electronic component failure.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine does the same thing.
When moving above about 15 mph or so I can't feel the cool air from the AC unit. I'm usually alone so I've not been able to determine if the air is actually warmer when moving, or if it's just going more towards the back of the coach for some reason and I just can't feel it.
I've verified that all vents and windows are closed so I wouldn't think that there would be any draw pulling the air back, but it sure is noticeable on these 95+ degree days.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #5

You have a few things working against you. Some things to check:
1) is the dash air in recirculate or vents closed (if not you will be drawing in outside air).
2) with an infrared gun check that the output of the ceiling vents is at least 20 degrees cooler than the intake side ... check while stationary and then underway.
3) make sure your slide seals are all good (including the bottom seals).
4) check the insulation and seals on the engine cover (typically the bottom of bed or storage) .... you are running a diesel when underway.
5) check the insulation and sealing around the genset (i assume you are running the genset for the air while underway).
6) as previously mentioned, the output of each air conditioner should eventually reach about 42 - 48 degrees (after the inside air temp has dropped into the 70's .... and assuming you are running the AC on High fan and not any other speed or Auto).
Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've noticed the same thing on ours. Sitting still you could hang meat in there, but going down the road it doesn't seem as cold. I attribute some of it to heat in the bedroom from the engine as well as the slides blocking some of the air flow. What really seemed to help on this last trip in 80% humidity and 95 degree heat was to set the fans on all three units to high instead of auto and to set the temp down to 64 to keep the compressors engaged most all the time. I don't think either one of us has a/c problems. Like I said when parked there is no way I could set them like I just mentioned without freezing us out. I set them on auto fan and 72 to 73 and they will keep the coach at that temp regardless of the outside temp or humidity. We also on that last trip set a vornado fan in the aisle across from the dinette blowing forward to help bring that cooler air to the front. Yes, I could use my dash ac as well, but I only use it if the temp were extreme up front like when we are headed into the sun, otherwise we do just fine.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The way air conditioners work is they take in air from your return grill, cool it by taking heat out, and sending it back via your air supply grill or ducts. A unit working in a perfect world will cool that air only 20 degrees F. So if it's 90 in the coach, air coming out will only be 70. As the units cools the inside of the coach, the air going into the a/c unit is cooler, but still the air being blown onto your head is still only 20 degrees cooler than the air going into the unit.

With all the slides, air leaks, cracks etc on these coaches, hot air from outside will get in traveling down the road at 60 mph. I'll bet you're a/c units are working just fine. I would be sure the coil and filters are all in good clean order, however.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #8

When we were parked facing into a cold wind I
noticed cold air coming in under the dash .
I went on a search to find where it was coming in
and what I found was at the fire wall area outside
up kind of high above the gen was a plywood shelf .
This shelf was not sealed in several places letting
air in . A place or two had probably 1/2 in gap .
This had always been noticeable in cold weather
on my feet , not so much in summer but
definitely made a difference in both seasons .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To the OP. To answer your question. Test your air conditioner with a thermometer. The incoming air should be approximately 20F lower than the ambient temperature. If it is the air conditioner is working fine. If it is not, it's time for repair or replacement.

Now. If the air conditioner(s) is (are) functioning fine, and the temperature inside your coach is still not cool, look for leaks.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
On my new to me coach I cleaned my a/c unit this past weekend. Here are pictures of the return air coil before and after. You may be able to see the coil from dropping the grate inside. I could see mine,,,, hence the reason I climbed up on top and took it apart to clean it. This will reduce the efficiency of the a/c unit but just going down the road will too.

Dirty (Before)

Clean (After)
tinstar 1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
condenser is the "coil" up on the roof. evaporator is the "coil" that you can service from inside the coach.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I would think moving vs sitting would make them work better - with the cooling effects of the air flowing over the units and the fact of cooling less cubic feet if slides are involved...
Get 2 ice cream cones. Drive down the road with one outside in the wind and the other inside with no wind. Which one will melt first?
Old 07-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=JohnBoyToo;3182457)

Have you stuck your hand out the window at 60 mph. That pressure you feel is against every window, against every inch of the firewall. Motorhomes leak air like crazy when under way.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
How does one clean the evaporator coil on a ducted AC coach?

steined is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air conditioner, replace, roof