Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 11:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Where do you suppose the power wire is?

In my '02 Monaco Windsor, I have a radio problem. When I turn the volume up to a comfortable listening level (while driving), I lose all power to the radio. It doesn't matter what source is selected (radio, cd, thumb drive) when a certain volume is reached the power shuts off then comes right back on. It seems the more bass, the faster the shutdown. I've read that several radios, which includes my Sony, needs a larger power wire than the original radio and needed power cannot be supplied with the stock wire. The radio that's in there is not what came in the coach but I don't know when it was changed. Sometime before I purchased it at least. I never noticed this problem until my last trip a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't dug into it yet or pulled the radio to try and trace it but does anyone know where the power is supplied? I'm guessing in the electrical bay at the front, drivers side but I really have no idea.

Has anyone else had the same problem and solved it. I have installed new, quality 4-ohm speakers and made sure there was no short in the speaker wires. I was hoping that would fix the problem, but no cigar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 12:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
OH, I forgot to post this part.

If the volume is kept down, it never shuts off.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
I haven't dug into it yet or pulled the radio to try and trace it but does anyone know where the power is supplied? I'm guessing in the electrical bay at the front, drivers side but I really have no idea.
Ordinarily, I'd research this some more, but I'm feeling lazy.

Yes, look on the Front Distribution Panel, fuse F10, 5A.

There is a second fuse on the FDP, for the radio memory. F66, 10A. That's not the one supplying the power to the speakers, though.

On our coach, the "breadcrumb" from that fuse to the radio, through the harnesses, is this:

FRONT DISTRIBUTION PANEL F10 TO
FRONT DISTRIBUTION PANEL C402-PIN3 TO
HARNESS P402-PIN3 TO
HARNESS P928-PIN8 TO
HARNESS C928-PIN8 TO
HARNESS P27-PIN1 TO
? TO
RADIO

I have not mapped all the connections in our coach- yet.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Has anyone else had the same problem and solved it. I have installed new, quality 4-ohm speakers and made sure there was no short in the speaker wires. I was hoping that would fix the problem, but no cigar.

You installed new 4 ohm speakers. Did this problem just start after the install?
if yes, you are overheating the amp possibly. It don't like 4ohm speakers.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
YC1

Time to pop the dash open and inspect the wires. It could be as simple as a poor connection. Find the power wire and use a voltmeter while turning the volume up. I suspect you will see the voltage go down as the volume goes up.

If you see very little difference, then put the voltmeter probe on the chassis of the radio and see if there is voltage on it as you turn up the volume. That would mean a bad ground.

All of this depends on using a good ground reference. Locate a good ground and if necessary make your own. Sometimes you can use an extension cord ground lead but you need to test that first of course on a known good 12 volt source.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #6

Check to see if your radio will support 4 ohm speakers. The shutdown sounds like it's overload protection for the amp , but it could be low voltage. You would have to replace the wire from the radio to the distribution panel with a heavier gauge to prevent the low voltage problem.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #7

Agree with the others that an incorrect speaker was installed. Sounds like the amp is protecting itself from over current.
Copied from an audiophile site.
"4-ohm Speakers Should Typically Be Mated with Higher Power Amplifiers. Most bookshelf and tower speakers are rated either 6-ohms or 8-ohms. Any speaker impedance rating that is 4-ohms is typically going to be a high-end, audiophile product that wants an amplifier that can really put out some power."

Pretty sure our rigs were not outfitted with any high end sound systems��
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
You installed new 4 ohm speakers. Did this problem just start after the install? if yes, you are overheating the amp possibly. It don't like 4ohm speakers.
No, the problem was before the new ones. In fact, I was hoping the new speakers would resolve it. The speakers were busted and dry rotted. I went to Car Toys and got recommendations from them for good speakers. The store manager and the tech both recommended these 4 ohm. I checked at Best Buy and they also recommended 4 ohm.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Check to see if your radio will support 4 ohm speakers. The shutdown sounds like it's overload protection for the amp , but it could be low voltage. You would have to replace the wire from the radio to the distribution panel with a heavier gauge to prevent the low voltage problem.
Yes, it supports 4 ohm. I checked all that before I bought the new ones. I'll check back with Car Toys and see what they say.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Agreed. The more power you pump the bigger wires you need to supply the power to the speakers. Had a problem like that years ago with a home stereo system. I used wiring too small for the power and had the same problem, protection overload.
Ron

Tags
power