Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Where is inverter located?

Hello all, I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacation er. My batteries are not charging when plugged to shore power. When I plug a fan to a AC plug I expect the fan to come on because of a inverter working. It does not. I have tried to locate the inverter, but found the converter. Where is the inverter located on my Coach? Any help appreciate d, thanks. Mike in NM.
Gangbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangbox1 View Post
Hello all, I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacation er. My batteries are not charging when plugged to shore power. When I plug a fan to a AC plug I expect the fan to come on because of a inverter working. It does not. I have tried to locate the inverter, but found the converter. Where is the inverter located on my Coach? Any help appreciate d, thanks. Mike in NM.
Not sure about the HR but our discovery inverter is located in the last basement bay on the passenger side of the coach (directly opposite of the batteries - which are located in the lasts bay on the drivers side). Our has it's own on/off switch (also located in that compartment) that must be switched on for the inverter to supply power to the unit.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

My 2008 Monaco Dynasty has the inverter in the second bay on passenger side.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've got a 2001 HR, the Inverter is an Inverter/Charger (converter). It inverts and also charges the batteries.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

Maybe the inverter is not working because the batteries aren't charged? You found the converter; that's what is supposed to charge the batteries.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #6

Ok as has already been stated the converter should be charging the batteries
and the inverter is a part of the same unit as the converter .

If your house batteries are low the inverter will not produce 120 v.

Do you have power to those outlets when plugged into shore power ?

Are you sure a Vacationer actually has an inverter , some coaches don't .

Are you sure the batteries are actually down ?

How are you determining they are not charging , do lights inside work etc ?

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjm209 View Post
In my 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer there is no inverter. But the converter is in the driver's side rear compartment.
Looks like that coach has no inverter so if you are plugged into shore power, have dead batteries, and have no 110 VAC at outlets, you have a different problem.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. The batteries are charged now. I put a outside charger on them. All my 110 outlets work when plugged to shore or generator. House batteries don't charge with generator either. The house batteries do charge when the coach motor is running. How I determined the batteries weren't charging is that the 12volt lights were dim, and the fridge would turn off. I will try to locate a inverter, if I have one
Gangbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Looks like that coach has no inverter so if you are plugged into shore power, have dead batteries, and have no 110 VAC at outlets, you have a different problem.
Reading the post above it appears you don't have an inverter .
Batteries not charging points the finger at the converter .
First you need to be sure 120v ac is getting to the converter .
Have you checked all the breakers ?
Actually flipping them ?
Look the converter over for a breaker or fuse

Try different receptacles since the inverter on my coach only supplies approx half of my receptacles .
TVs should work if you have an inverter .
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The batteries are charged now. I put a outside charger on them. All my 110 outlets work when plugged to shore or generator. House batteries don't charge with generator either. The house batteries do charge when the coach motor is running. How I determined the batteries weren't charging is that the 12volt lights were dim, and the fridge would turn off. I will try to locate a inverter, if I have one
Your house batteries charge when the motor is running via the altenator. The Fat Boy solenoid that ties the house and chassis batteries together allows the house batteries to charge, via the chassis batteries when the altenator is working (i.e motor running).
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #11

Do not assume an inverter exists.

Check and see what the 30 or 50 amp AC distribution panel label says. Both inverter and converter require AC.

Dead batteries = no charge source

No charge source = a) no AC to charger or b) faulty charger or c) no path between charger and batteries

Fix a), b) or c), first

Follow up to see if a "system" exists to charge the house batteries from the alternator. Fix if needed.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:

In '03 an inverter was optional in the Vacationer. There were 2 available. One was very small and I would guess it was to power the main TV. The other was a 1500 watt which also included 2 more house batteries for a total of 4 6volt batteries.

There may or may not have been a system for the chassis batteries to charge when on shore or generator power. If your house batteries aren't charging when plugged in then you have an issue of some description. Your converter is producing 12 volt power when you are plugged in so I assume you would look there for your battery charge function.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, inverter