Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Just had a thought and another question. Without buying a load tester can't we load test the battery ourselves by simply cranking the engine and measuring the voltage across the terminals with a volt meter while we do it?
Is that a silly idea? I imagine if the batteries are bad the voltage would drop too far on cranking?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Just had a thought and another question. Without buying a load tester can't we load test the battery ourselves by simply cranking the engine and measuring the voltage across the terminals with a volt meter while we do it?
Is that a silly idea? I imagine if the batteries are bad the voltage would drop too far on cranking?
Ok...we just did this experiment. Battery voltage dropped below 10 on cranking (9.7). Would that be considered a load failure?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
YC1

Since we have an 08 Endeavor I'm going to give you a ton of information.
If they are the original batteries there I would not bother with a load test. Batteries have a service life and you are at it. Yeah I know, people will tell me they got seven years out of them. From 40 years of experience just change them all out. Take some pictures first. Clean all of the terminal shiny and clean. I like to use my dremel with a round sanding disk. You must have the area ventilated and keep the sparks far away from any batteries.

Change the large solenoid mounted on the back wall as well. If I suggested you change your fuel filter you would not argue but some folks just don't know how many of those have failed in these setups. I'm on my third one and have taken them apart to prove the problems with them. That solenoid is your aux start system and also combines your battery banks when charging.

Item 7 on the second pdf is the solenoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid opened for inspection 3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	39577  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Compartment.pdf (369.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf BATTERY COMPARTMENT).pdf (359.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf AUXILIARY START.pdf (61.7 KB, 24 views)

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
YC1

Here are more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trombetta Relay opened.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	39580  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solenoid ( Trombetta ) for batteries.pdf (112.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Solenoid Replacement for Bird.pdf (56.4 KB, 23 views)

Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #19
YC1

These three will show you the wiring path to the starter via the pre-heat panel.
There are little fly over notes in yellow. Put your pointer over them and information will pop up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battey cables and starter wiring.pdf (56.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf Alternator diagram and pre-heat.pdf (66.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf AUXILIARY START.pdf (68.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
YC1

That voltage is too low. No lower than about 10.5. Try hitting your battery boost button and hold it for a few seconds before you hit the key. Keep it held down while cranking. If it cranks faster the solenoid is working and your other batteries are helping. If it does not help there is a great chance the solenoid is indeed sick. But do yourself a favor and replace it. I can tell you how to make sure it is working when you get the major issues resolved. If you want some reading just do a search on BIRD and you will come up with hours of fun reading.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Here are more pictures.
Aha...found it. I see that piece in there. Is that something you can find in a regular auto store? Or do you special order?

I think we're going to take your advice and just replace the batteries. We found an OReily Auto Parts closeby that has 850 CCA batteries in stock which fit our bin (our current are 750).
Old 05-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
These three will show you the wiring path to the starter via the pre-heat panel.
There are little fly over notes in yellow. Put your pointer over them and information will pop up.
No pic attachments on this one?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
YC1

Quote:
No pic attachments on this one?
Try again. I may have been editing it.

The solenoid is really nothing special but you can get an exact replacement with the information I supplied. Any heavy duty 12 volt continuous duty solenoid would work. Note that those solenoids get very hot to the touch when you are plugged in or have been running the generator or engine a long time.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #24

I highly recommend you don't make this more complicated than it is. Why are we talking about the BIRD solenoids and all the others. Keep it simple and get the batteries checked. Occam's Razor. One should proceed with the simpler theories first. The starter solenoid is working because the starter is turning.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Well just got the batteries tested. One was definitely bad. Totally shot. The other one was ok, but we decided to go ahead and replace both. The size replacement they had was actually 1000 CCA, so we've got some mega batteries in there now.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Well just got the batteries tested. One was definitely bad. Totally shot. The other one was ok, but we decided to go ahead and replace both. The size replacement they had was actually 1000 CCA, so we've got some mega batteries in there now.
That ought to be enough juice to get you going. Good luck, hope it solves your problem.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Just finished hooking up the new batteries. Made sure all the terminals and connectors were nice and shiny too. Started her up and she sounded great. Phew!!

This saved us a costly trip to the Cummins center and looks like it solved our problem.

Thanks again to the members of iRV2! You guys are awesome!

Nina
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #28
YC1

The reason why I am talking about BIRD and solenoids is AFTER I first recommended changing the batteries which is now done.

The BIRD in these setups is a very common failure item. Again, if I suggested someone change a fuel filter it would be easy for them to accept. Suggesting they change a solenoid that cost about the same as a fuel filter comes from several years helping diagnose the battery issues and charging systems. One can see the wear on a tire. You cannot see the wear on a solenoid unless you look at the pictures I attached.

Pays your money and takes your chances. Just my two cents. The old filter commercial, pay me now or pay me later.

The op might want to save the pdf's for future reference.