Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #15

RickO & 94- Newmar,

Remember, when you level with your jacks, the body is level but your chassis may not be. Your body and frame could be twisted slightly which is OK, but when you extend your slides that could present a problem. I believe most manufacturers recommend extending and retracting slides when the coach is at ride height to maintain frame rigidity .

Jim
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a sign by the slide switch in our coach that says to have the engine running when moving the slides. We level first and then start the engine to deploy the slides. We always have a window cracked or a vent open to ease the air pressure on the windshield. When ready to hit the road we start the engine, pull the slides in and retract the jacks. Joe
Old 09-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #17

Here are the correct procedure, as quoted from the 2008 Monaco Sig manual, for extending and retracting the slides:
"Retract hydraulic jacks (if equipped).
Start the engine. Press Travel Mode on
air level control panel. Allow time for
the air suspension to support the chassis.
Turn off the engine. Ensure park brake is
applied prior to extending the slide room.
Confirm the house batteries are fully
charged.
Ensure all people, pets and objects are
clear of the slide room path.
Switches for the slide rooms are located
on the overhead cabinet above the copilot
seat and in the hallway. Press and
hold the slide-out room switch."

Bottom line is to always have coach in "travel Mode" when extending or retracting slides on a Monaco. (if the coach is in travel mode, the Hyd jacks will be retracted)
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
There is a sign by the slide switch in our coach that says to have the engine running when moving the slides. Joe
This is a Monaco question. If engine is running, movement of ALL slides is locked out.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 PM   #19

Winnebago Vectra approach

I always use the following procedure for 5 years with no problems.
1. Start engine and make sure it has leveled out with pressure on bags.
2. Bring in slides with jacks down and coach level
3. Retract Jacks--use WD40 periodically to lube before retracting. If it has rained and exposed parts dirty it is best to clean with a soft cloth the exposed jacks before retracting and then WD40.
Never a problem.
RocketmanRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
don't make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
When departing, start the engine and fill the air bags. Obviously, the jacks will come off the ground. When the bags are full, turn off the engine, retract the jacks, pull in your slides and you are ready to go.

Jim
Why would you turn your motor off just to raise the jacks after you inflated your air-bags. It takes more fuel to start, than it does to drive a mile. Any time your turn on an electrical motor, it REALLY SUCKS the amps. Why not have your batterys under a constant charge while activating the leveling device motor.

Just like starting your vehicle during winter months. Very hard on a COLD BATTERY to put a demanding decrease like "start my vehicle please". If you simply turn on your headlights for about 30 seconds, it will put the batterys heated mode, thus the battery is nolonger in a COLD STATE, but ready to generate its maximun output power.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnJa View Post
...If you simply turn on your headlights for about 30 seconds, it will put the batterys heated mode, thus the battery is nolonger in a COLD STATE, but ready to generate its maximun output power.
Um.. that is a myth. Simply not true.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The original poster has a Monaco product, To use another manufacturers procedure would be wrong, it's just the way it is. But to the folks of other brands, Thank you.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I have a "Monaco Product"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
The original poster has a Monaco product, it's just the way it is.
I also have a Monaco product. My manual tells me my 'waterpump' is behind my sink. It is in reality, 180 degrees the opposite side in the basement. That is only 1 item that is misplaced according to my 'manual'.

I have found out that over the years, "The Book is Not Always Right". I don't care whos' book your reading. Some are, some aren't.
OnJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I start the coach, retract the jacks, wait till the bleed valve pops the shut the coach off and retract the slides. I asked Monaco tech about this sticw back when they were still in business and that is what they told me to do. I realize that doesn't make it right but in 6 yrs and hundreds of cycles I havn't damaged anything yet. Upon stern warning fro the same Monaco techs I will not move the slides unless the bags are fully inflated.
Ron