Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Which set of batteries start the Generator?

I have been reading the owners manual on the electrical systems installed in our new to us 2013 Knight. I am trying to find a clear answer to which batteries are used to start the generator, house or chassis. Any thoughts or direction to go look would be greatly appreciated.
dgm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #2

On my 2001 Diplomat it's the house batteries.

You can check by turning off the battery switch's one at a time and seeing if it will start.

Hope this help
Michael
duckboatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

Chassis on my Signature and Executive.
As Michael said, open your battery compartment and find your manual on/off switches. Should be two, one for the house batteries and one for the Chassis batteries. Some coaches have the chassis batteries in a different compartment than the house batteries.

To prevent interrupting DW or whatever I would turn the chassis battery mechanical switch off (engine not running of course) and attempt to start the generator. If it starts, your gen is hooked to the house batteries. If not, it is hooked to the chassis batteries. Don't forget to turn your switch back on.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboatking View Post
On my 2001 Diplomat it's the house batteries.

You can check by turning off the battery switch's one at a time and seeing if it will start.

Hope this help
Michael
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #4

Do your tests with the shore power cord unplugged.

If on shore power, your isolation solenoid could stay engaged. That keeps the battery cables between the batteries connected.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #5

Which set of batteries start the Generator?

Chassis usually. On most Monaco at least my 2004 Camelot
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Generator should be connected to Chassis batteries. If i's not, change it.

How can you charge the House batteries when boondocking - if the House batteries get low and the generator is connected to those batteries - you cant start the generator. The only thing you can do then, is start the RV engine (off Chassis batteries) and go home.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #7

Once you have the engine started hit the boost button that ties the the chassis/house batteries together and then the house batteries will charge enough to get the generator started.
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #8

Just push and hold the boost button to start the generator. No need to start the main engine. The generator has a small engine.

If the generator started and ran off the chassis battery and was running the 120 volt charger, charging the house battery, it would be running down the chassis battery. That could be a big problem if the boost/isolation solenoid went bad.

Most generators don't have alternators. If it does, then it can be running from the chassis battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally my H.R had the generator starter motor wired to the house batteries.
I changed it to the chassis batteries to make the AGS more useful.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Just push and hold the boost button to start the generator. No need to start the main engine. The generator has a small engine.

If the generator started and ran off the chassis battery and was running the 120 volt charger, charging the house battery, it would be running down the chassis battery. That could be a big problem if the boost/isolation solenoid went bad.

Most generators don't have alternators. If it does, then it can be running from the chassis battery.
Your example is counting on the Boost switch "to work" when needed and then expressing concern regarding the consequences if the boost/isolation solenoid "does not work".

I think one should wire the system up with the assumption that switches/solenoids will work as intended. You can always carry a spare switches/solenoids if you want. The Coach Owner can monitor the battery charging/state-of-charge periodically to ensure the appropriate battery bank is charging from the generator.

The Owner's Manual for my beaver states that the Generator is connected to the Chassis batteries. That makes the most sense to me.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #11

Ok, so my generator is hooked up to my house batteries. I mostly dry camp with it, and have run into the house batteries getting too low to start the generator, which is a major issue when you are dry camping, and 4 or 5 days drive away from home. I can't remember if I have tried my boost button when this happens, I believe I tried it once and it didn't seem to do much so I didn't bother with it again.
How would I switch my generator from starting off the house batteries to the chassis batteries ? This seems like it would be a benifit to how we use our Monaco. Otherwise, is there anyway I can " Jump " start the generator off my chassis batteries in the event the house batteries are too low to start it ?
Thanks
Michael
duckboatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #12

My generator starts from the house batteries. It does not have its own charging system and relies on the inverter/converter to charge the batteries. It will also charge the chassis batteries via an isolation solenoid. If the house batteries are dead, I can press the boost switch to start the generator.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #13

From my 2012 Monaco Knight manual:

Starting the Generator
Requirement for Generator Operation: House and chassis battery disconnect switches must be on.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the wiring diagram for my coach. If you want to move your generator from House to Chassis batteries you need to find "your" wiring diagram and see where it connects now and where the chassis fuse block is located. However I don't if it is a simple as just moving the heavy 1/0 cable, there may be some smaller wires too (wires to start switch, fule pump or glow plugs, battery voltage sensing wires, etc.) - so you need to study the wiring diagram before doing anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Beaver generator power supply diagram.JPG
Views:	790
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	231843  

Tags
batteries, generator