Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #1

Who is using an induction cooktop - do you like it?

Thinking about an induction cooktop. This will sound funny, but since new the coach has never needed propane (electric fridge/aquahot) and I'm getting pretty low now. Need to decide to put in a new cooktop or put some propane in.

I've been looking and see some nice units for household use but haven't seen a good fit for a coach. I'd like a small footprint but an extra burner would be nice.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do. Only propane in my rig was for the cooktop so I only had a 5.5 gallon tank. Removed the 2 burner Princess cooktop and replaced it with a two hob True Induction induction unit. Had to widen the hole in the counter, add some very narrow filler strips and build a support framework. Now I need to decide whether to have it work off my inverter and batteries as it can draw 1500 watts of 120 volts. That's a big draw and could last for quite a while for cooking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180502_094143.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	221728  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We got a Induction single burner unit years ago when they came out. Used it in the MH and never turned on the gas stove again. We liked it so much we got a full size 4 burner unit in the house. When we got a new MH in 2012 the single burner induction use continued until I installed a Ture Induction two burner unit in place of the gas stove top that had never been used.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repl...on-309901.html
Old 10-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We have the True Induction cooktop and love it!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have induction cooktop in my home. I don't like it.
Too hard to find pans that work --- the ones that say "work with induction cooktops" don't always work well.

I have several pans where I need to turn burner up to level 7 to get the same heat as other pans heat at level 5. It has to due with the amount of steel (bottom plate) put in the aluminum pan. That makes it hard to cook with.

I would much rather have gas burners (which I have in my coach).

BTW, if you need induction pans the best ones I've found so far are the Nordic Ware. The Cuisinart and other name brands are not very good.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Love the induction so much I recently removed a stove/cooktop combo for my new ride with a 2 burner induction. Most SS pans have enough steel in them so they work on an induction...use a magnet to test. Here is my DIY installation:
http://https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29668762/gotomsg/29668780.cfm#29668780

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I just installed one, here' the thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/do-y...ke-411575.html
Old 10-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
tcg

I carry a countertop NuWave. It's great.

I bought a NuWave Duralon Ceramic cookware set. It works great with the cooktop.

I like the portable one because I can take it outside if I need to.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Thinking about an induction cooktop. This will sound funny, but since new the coach has never needed propane (electric fridge/aquahot) and I'm getting pretty low now. Need to decide to put in a new cooktop or put some propane in.

I've been looking and see some nice units for household use but haven't seen a good fit for a coach. I'd like a small footprint but an extra burner would be nice.

We put in a Tru-Induction cooktop on our 2008 Bounder, just loved it! When we up graded to our All-electric Dynasty, we put the same unit in it, replacing the factory electric cooktop. Luckily, the tru-Induction was a perfect fit replacement!

The only drawback (to some) is you need pans which contain Ferris metal (iron) to work. That means (induction compliant pans) or any cast iron pans and perhaps some steel pans. You are just not going to use any cheap aluminum pans.

The electric draw is much less and the heating is much faster. We can boil 2 “ of water in less than a minute.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
A residential induction is 240 volt, are you installing that or the 120 volt model?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
A residential induction is 240 volt, are you installing that or the 120 volt model?
There are plenty of two burner inductions out there, they just won't run both burners on high at the same time.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Ind...-306172864-_-N

"Functions on a single 110v outlet benefiting from the build in Power Sharing technology to distribute the power between the two burners based on how much power each one is using"

There are even some three burner 120 VAC units with two plugs/cords and you plug them into different circuits so they don't overload.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Ind...FULZwAodVQ4Msg

"True Induction TI-3B has the ability to run off two 110V outlets or can be wired direct to 220V power"
Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought a set of the nesting Magma pans for the MH. My old Griswold cast iron work great. I do use a silicon pad to keep the cooktop from being scratched. Inherited the Griswold pans from my mother
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Like you I've thought about induction as well, but like the old saying goes "now we're cooking with gas" I have decided after some research to stick with the propane burners.

Think of it this way, you're low on propane now, but 40 or so bucks to fill the tank vs a new cooktop to retrofit with new wiring loads.

Personally I like the idea of a smooth cooktop that is not recessed into the countertop. Thats my only complaint with the gas burners, however I do understand also that the counter inserts could no longer be used if the gas burners were raised to countertop height.

However the gas requires no large loads of electric current, and since this is the only thing left in my rig that uses propane (replaced norcold fridge with residential, and like you aquahot for heating), that big tank only cost 40 bucks to fill up and will last for years before needing refilling. That's even with hooking my BBQ grille up to the same tank with an extend a stay hose... I opted to just stick with what I have for now. Although I imagine the pan fried trout still tastes great regardless of which cooktop one uses :-) and I do end up using the outdoor BBQ grill more than I do the cooktop.

Just my thinking on it of course, hope it helps in your decision whichever way you decide to go.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
We got a Induction single burner unit years ago when they came out. Used it in the MH and never turned on the gas stove again. We liked it so much we got a full size 4 burner unit in the house. When we got a new MH in 2012 the single burner induction use continued until I installed a Ture Induction two burner unit in place of the gas stove top that had never been used.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repl...on-309901.html

Dennis think of installing in my new stick home. Don’t know much about them. Friends bought a NuWave single induction burner for a gift. Haven’t used it yet. Wife likes gas.