Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #43

We are 72 and 76 and still going. Have to admit we leave the campground later and arrive at the next campground earlier than we used to. 4 hours a day is enough for us now. If no health problems we are good for 4 more years easy. I just passed a two hour California class b driving test. The examiner said I did very well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:54 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
DEF; Diesel Exhaust Fluid; late model engine emission control add on 2009 ? , that has caused numerous posts with complaints , due to cost , availability, tank location and access, residue build up on the toad , to name a few.

How can I confirm my '06 Diplomat does not have DEF?

Thx
Old 10-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
How can I confirm my '06 Diplomat does not have DEF?

Thx

Monaco did not start building coaches with DEF until the current coaches being built by the new Monaco owned by ASV. DEF is used to meet '10 EPA standards. By '10 Monaco was owned by Navistar who was trying to develop a system using EGR that could meet the standards without DEF. Their MF7 and MF10 were able to be certified but none of their bigger diesels. They had to revert to DEF and sold off their RV business. During the Navistar years, pre 2010 Cummins engines or one of the two certified engines were used.

That was a very long way of saying that your coach is guaranteed DEF free.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #46

Steve
Agree with you. But, I also go further in that the Source Engineering Ride Enhancement Kit (REK) is every bit as important as replacing the trailing arms as far as safety is concerned, at least on our 38 SBD Cayman. You simply would not believe how it would 'porpoise' up and down violently when going over a bridge, etc. Had to get off cruise and prepare to hit the brake to slow down--and I do not speed. We got both done and now have a 'safe' coach. Had to do more mods as the RR4R just keeps on giving :( by being so overloaded on passenger rear as compared to driver's rear. OTOH, price was right at Camping World as MCC went bankrupt after CW bought another consignment of MCC coaches leaving CW holding the bag on an orphaned coach w/o warranty. And we got a brand new Monaco with newer technology than the 5 yr old used coaches we were looking at. While it worked out for us as we will be keeping this coach for some time now--barring a miracle, but I don't know about anyone buying a used RR4R and sinking more money into a poor chassis.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
This discussion brings up some really ugly memories for us! Long story short, bought '07 Cayman used in '12; low mileage. We were 1st timer and totally naïve, just wanted a Monaco due to reputation. Had a Signature sold out from under us and ended up with Cayman. Started reading forums and found out about trailing arm issues so had them inspected by dealer prior to extended trip to West Coast. Even contacted Monaco directly and was assured by all that trailing arms were NOT an issue. You guessed it! Coming out of Williams, AZ we made it as far as Kingman, AZ swaying like the dickens. Stop at a Freightliner service center and told arms were gone. Spent 2 weeks in Kingman waiting on repairs (got Source replacement) but not REK. Had extended warranty, Thank God! Now we feel we've put too much into getting this coach fixed to trade although we did look at a 2008 Camelot this week at a show we both liked just don't want to inherit more problems..same dealership has the 2008 but has no previous owner service records to back up what salesman is saying. You can fool me once but.....;-)
cookingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingdad View Post
This discussion brings up some really ugly memories for us! Long story short, bought '07 Cayman used in '12; low mileage. We were 1st timer and totally naïve, just wanted a Monaco due to reputation. Had a Signature sold out from under us and ended up with Cayman. Started reading forums and found out about trailing arm issues so had them inspected by dealer prior to extended trip to West Coast. Even contacted Monaco directly and was assured by all that trailing arms were NOT an issue. You guessed it! Coming out of Williams, AZ we made it as far as Kingman, AZ swaying like the dickens. Stop at a Freightliner service center and told arms were gone. Spent 2 weeks in Kingman waiting on repairs (got Source replacement) but not REK. Had extended warranty, Thank God! Now we feel we've put too much into getting this coach fixed to trade although we did look at a 2008 Camelot this week at a show we both liked just don't want to inherit more problems..same dealership has the 2008 but has no previous owner service records to back up what salesman is saying. You can fool me once but.....;-)

Very sorry to hear of your coach problems. The dealer certainly must have known about the trailing arm issue. By the time your coach was built Monaco had come out with a stronger unit but it later proved to also be failure prone. Glad to hear you had the extended warrantee that stepped up. Did you ever go with the REK?

The Camelot was built on the Roadmaster RR8S chassis which has proven to be a very strong design. Any used coach can have a problem but the Camelot and other coaches built on the 8 and 10 air bag Roadmaster chassis have a good reputation.

Good luck going forward.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #49

The OP is from Alberta, and one thing to keep in mind is that only coaches certified and imported to Canada would be available here. That rules out a number of brands.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #50
JSW

I bought my '04 HR Ambassador from a private seller. Neither of us knew about the trailing arm issues. When I found out, I had mine changed to the Source Engineering arms and the REK kit. My old arms were not cracked or broken but I wanted safety. My rig sure rides and handles better after the upgrade and I am well pleased with the quality of my coach. I have now put on over 40,000 miles and she is mechanically sound. I would buy another Monaco if I were shopping.
JSW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, sale