Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We traded our two slide 38' 2000 DSDP in in 2002 for a three slide 41' DSDP. Wife wanted more room and I wanted the bigger ISC over the 3126 CAT.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #16

You'll never know and it doesn't matter. Practice your own due diligence and decide if it's something you want.

The major systems are transparent and/or warranteed. There are some horror stories out there, but how many compared to the number of sales. And most could be prevented.

However, life is life, it's all a crapshoot. Some people should never, ever contemplate a major purchase. They go through so much agony and torment, wondering if it is the "right" purchase, the "right" item, the "right" seller that they'd be far, far better off travelling by plane and staying in hotels.

Don't spend your last dollar buying the biggest or best thing you can so that if there is a problem it can't be covered. Anticipate a few difficulties and have the money set aside for it. You can't prevent problems, but you can prevent them from ruining your life.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many years ago first hubby and I had a few TT. After buying the 2nd one and found so many problems... I tracked down the previous owner who was nice enough to share some rather interesting info with us. Needless to say, the TT was traded immediately and we bought a Winne MH. Going through it with the kids after we got it home, we found notes taped under the drawers from the previous owner. Apparently they placed 4 notes in the coach, we found two and they had left their phone number. We made contact and learned so much from them about the coach, it just made our life easier and I felt pretty good heading out on long trip with 3 little kids.

So when we traded it off, I did the same thing... made a list of all the faults we knew about, the ones we fixed and the ones that need fixing. Include all the fluid chg info and all that also, and left our phone number.

I told my current DH when we opt for a newer one, I will do the same thing. Hiding the notes throughout the coach because as you know salesman/dealers don't share previous owner info too well. However, if I can share with the new owner important info it just might make their life a bit easier.

Places I hid the notes is under the drawers, in the zipper area of the cushions, by the fuses, on the outside of toilet bowl near outside wall. The reasons for the spaces and the number of copies I leave, is the hope the sales/dealer don't find them all and the new owner will rather soon, especially when cleaning!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

Posting hidden messages for a new owner is comendable. When we bought our coach the sales person told us it was a one owner coach that was just traded in by a very meticulous owner that they knew for many years. Of course what sales person wouldn't say that?

A little bit of investigation on the internet soon corroborated the story. I was able to find who the original owner (and only PO) was, some service information, recalls performed (where and when) and then found where the previous owner lived and his profession. I also found where the RV was stored!

This all gave me additional confidence in the purchase. I haven't tried to contact the PO even though it turns out he lives 20 minutes away.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
HHg

Trade-ups

In our specific case, we bought a new Coachman Prism class C on the Freightliner chassis with the MBenz diesel. Loved it, but it was just to small and a bad layout for our needs. We traded it in on a new Four Winds Serrano (POS), which we liked but still didn't quite fit our needs.....especially the short queen. So we traded up to a new 2013 Phaeton 40QBH, which we LOVE, and will probably be our last coach. It sure did cost me a few dollars with all the trading up, etc....but so glad we did. We've jokingly told both of our children that they better make their own way in this world....as we plan on spending every penny that we've worked SO hard for so many years to accumulate

Hhg
Old 12-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #20

1. In our case, prior owner had coach repossessed.
2. In our friend's case, too incompetent (sorry to be frank) to deal with systems and problems.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
My observation of folks in our FMCA chapter who have flipped a relatively new rig (and it happens more often than you might think) is they have issues with size (too small more often than too large) or floor plan.

We had one guy go from his original coach (I think it was a Dip but I'm not sure) to a new Dynasty to a new Zephyr and back to another new Dynasty in less than two years.

Another couple are on their third new coach in less than two years, each larger than the last. If they swap out again, they should be maxed out at 45 feet
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our Motorhome from a man that wanted to upgrade to a Monoco. He had already had placed his order for the Monoco so was anxious to deal. I bought his Motorhome and called him about two months later to tell him how pleased we were with his old Motorhome. Oppssss. It turned out that his new motorhome had been in the shop for a month, a week after he bought it, trying to resolve all the problems. Soon after that Monoco went belly up.
He was not a happy camper and wished he had his old coach back.
A lesson here. Who knows ??
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We traded in our first Monaco within the first year and got a very similar floor plan, one foot bigger, one model up, one year newer. The main reason was the first did not have enough CCC for us to go full-time and live in it. The dealer who helped with the trade-in said our first coach was in better shape than when we had bought it. All the minor problems and rattles had been fixed.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
I think perhaps you answered your own question.

GL Arnold
I agree, plus if your rig is 2 years or less it's generally under full warranty all the time.

Finally there is a joke I once typed.

Q:Which motor home is best? (That was the legit questino)

A: (the joke) The one you are parked next to.

Some folks.. Well, I like to say there are two types of questions.. The ones you get in school, like "Who was the president if the United States in 1777? (Answer the US did not exist till the 1780's thus nobody).

And "the big questions" (The meaning of life, the univers and everything, that is 49)

You find the 2nd answer (And a few of the first) in one or both of two places.. 1: The Holy Books (BIBLE for me)

2: The music store.

This one is in the music store,, It's the title of a song:

Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?