Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Why do you like air leveling?

This is NOT a post to provoke arguments or any back-and-forth between opposing camps. I have never owned a coach with air leveling, so I have NO experience with it. Without any experience or input from anyone whatsoever, I would have thought that air leveling would leave the coach feeling a bit "wobbly" just as it does if you are stopped without extending the hydraulic jacks.

So, I have two questions. First, does air leveling use the suspension air bags for the leveling? Secondly, IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH AIR LEVELING AND HYDRAULIC LEVELING, why would you prefer air leveling?

Again, please don't turn this into an argument. There is far too much of that already. I'm just seeking information.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Much quicker and easier to use is the main reason and we have both hydraulic and aire leveling
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I LOVE my air leveling! Yes it uses the air bags.

Advantages
1. no jack pads
2. Can use it any where
3. 2 button presses and I'm done
4. Fewer parts to break or seize

Disadvantages

1. May not have as much adjustment
2. May not be as stable

Just my thoughts......
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Air leveling is great!

Fast & easy

Don't have to worry about soft ground beneath the coach

No hydraulic jacks to give problems

Allows me to dump air and lower the coach so the step is close to the ground before leveling.

I can level anywhere, Wal-Mart parking lot, etc., without worrying about damaging the asphalt below me

JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with what everyone else has said. I too, have heard that some people don't like that the coach tends to move a little when people move around but I haven't really noticed that. Even if my wife gets up in the middle of the night, I don't feel the coach move. I did hear the system 'wake up' and adjust a couple of times but it's not a bother (to me anyway).
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with all the other post and have used both the RVA jacks that Van has on his coach and HWH air leveling on our present coach, The air leveling is simpler faster and not likely to torque the frame that did happened to me I twisted the frame on another Monaco coach we owned with RVA jacks and popped the windshield out . the only problem with HWH air leveling it is extremely hard to trouble shoot and expensive to repair, the RVA simple tp trouble shoot and cheap to repair. Best of both worlds is have both! JMO
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Have had both...Stevie B2 has a good list. I find that the air level actually has more that the new HWH "auto' systems...and that is from actual experience on the same site as compared to a new Entegra with power level jacks that ran out of travel.

Oh yeah...you will never have a wheel lifted off the ground, nor twist the frame and pop a windshield, or jam a slideout.

Oh... and you can super raise them for more clearance for a steep angle drive.

AND... if you get 4x4 square steel tubes cut about 11'' you can super raise, put the tubes between the frame and the suspension, lower the air onto the tubes, then safely work under the coach with good clearance. Like built in jack stands.

AND you don't carry around about 600 pounds of jacks...more room for beer in GCWR. maybe that should be number 1

A little wiggle in some situations, but a very small price to pay for all the positives.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

So, everyone agrees that you can dump the bags (lower the coach) before initiating the leveling process and it will raise the coach only enough to level it?

Thanks for the info. Just what I wanted to know.

Van W. 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
So, everyone agrees that you can dump the bags (lower the coach) before initiating the leveling process and it will raise the coach only enough to level it?

Eastern NC
Yep. You got it!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Eastern NC
Yes, I typically dump the bags and let it raise the low corner/side as necc.

I have had the coach shake a bit, due to "sitting on air" however the outside winds were in the >40 mph at the time. If you were to move significantly your DW will probably notice.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
This is NOT a post to provoke arguments or any back-and-forth between opposing camps. I have never owned a coach with air leveling, so I have NO experience with it. Without any experience or input from anyone whatsoever, I would have thought that air leveling would leave the coach feeling a bit "wobbly" just as it does if you are stopped without extending the hydraulic jacks. So, I have two questions. First, does air leveling use the suspension air bags for the leveling? Secondly, IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH AIR LEVELING AND HYDRAULIC LEVELING, why would you prefer air leveling? Again, please don't turn this into an argument. There is far too much of that already. I'm just seeking information. Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley Eastern NC
Van,

I previously had SOB with HWH auto jacks. It was a good system and I had some initial fear that the air leveling would not be as good. Long story short, I would not go back to jacks. My air system is HWH and has been trouble free. The system is so smooth and seamless and support the coach as if at ride height that when I park, I level before I put out the slides and never a problem. Unless the lot slopes off to the front, I don't bother with dumping air. The system levels to the low corner and that is a good height for me generally. The very slight movement of the coach is no issue for us.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #12

Have had to park at rallys where front to back was way out and got out the 4 2x12s that I carry and drove front wheels up on and got close enough that the air was in specs to level. That is the only issue other than I start rig every other week and build air back up so it will stay level
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Agree with all the points made, level on soft ground, lower coach when necessary etc. I'll add that the new system is an active air system that helps in long highway turns keeping the coach level, no lean and it eliminates "porpoising" when making a quick stop. Also, in auto mode at night it sleeps but makes up and adjust if coach becomes un-level. Jacks can't do all these things. I haven't used my jacks...hope they work.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #14

Back in 2003, my coach came standard with air leveling. The HWH hydraulic levelers were an extra cost option. You guys are making me wish I didn't have that optional equipment.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling