Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Will boondock roads crack windshield?

Will driving on boondock roads with potholes and ruts cause the frame to twist and crack or pop out the windshield or cause other problems on a 01 windsor or similar motorhome? I am planning to buy 01 windsor or similar monaco motorhome very soon. We go to 1 area every year with our old Cheifian were we drive in about a 1/4 mile on a jeep trail sort of road. I read a couple of posts about windshields poping loose or cracking from using jacks improperly for leveling twisting the frame. Also what about driving into store lots where there is a low gutter and then a hump over the curb that some motorhomes drag their hitch crossing.
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the MH is prone to it it will, if it is not, it won't. Take it slow and you should be OK, your model is not normally prone to it.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Will driving on boondock roads with potholes and ruts cause the frame to twist and crack or pop out the windshield or cause other problems on a 01 windsor or similar motorhome? I am planning to buy 01 windsor or similar monaco motorhome very soon. We go to 1 area every year with our old Cheifian were we drive in about a 1/4 mile on a jeep trail sort of road. I read a couple of posts about windshields poping loose or cracking from using jacks improperly for leveling twisting the frame. Also what about driving into store lots where there is a low gutter and then a hump over the curb that some motorhomes drag their hitch crossing.
If it is the two piece windshield you may be OK. Most of the posts referring to windshields popping out from the frame twisting are talking about the large one piece windshield without the bar in the middle.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my Intruder was new (2 piece windshield by the way) it had a tendency to pop out.

However the problem was not twisting and uneven roads

It was a manufacturing defect.

First time the dealer I got it from called Guardian Glass (Metro Detroit) and they sent out a kid still wet behind the ears who porta-powered it back in place scratched is.. you know, and said "Duh. it'll probbly come out again" Well.. he got that right

2nd Time Wheelers RV (Now Las Vegas RV) called Dave Simpson of Dave Simpson glass who came out, too 3 days and I don't think it would have come out again but Dave was not happy, showed me (And wheelers) why and they showed Damon.

3 days at Damon Plant 12 (Warranty repair) and ... No problems since. THe warranty man put on his pointy shoes, visited the original windhsield person, and then fixed the problem.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We took our 06 Damon Challenger 370I, with a split windshield, off road (Hiddenite Mine in NC). The trail was about 2 miles and very rough (twisting ruts, pot holes etc...). Glad to say no problems at all. Hope this helps.
kenyonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #6

That '01 Windsor was built on Monaco's series s chassis which is very stiff. If you buy that one, you will not have a chassis flex problem.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
what about driving into store lots where there is a low gutter and then a hump over the curb that some motorhomes drag their hitch crossing.
Try to take those kinds of things at an angle if at all possible ... that greatly reduces the chance of dragging. And of course, SLOW is definitely recommended!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote