Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Will not start

my safari Serengeti is dead. each chassis battery shows 12.6 volts but the monitor says .3 volts. cleaned the connections, it started a month ago and has been sitting with no shore plugged in. First time I tried to start it dash lights came on and just got a clicking when trying to turn over, now nothing after cleaning connections there is nothing when trying to turn over.
fredvoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #2

The 12.6 is that with a volt meter or your dash gauge.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

the 12.6 is at the battery, the monitor in the coach says .3.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 AM   #4

Have someone try and start it.your If your voltage drop right off it's the battery if not jump your solenoid at the starter.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #5

You should have 2 battery cut off switches , mine are in my rear elect bay
pass side , they are round and about 4 inches diam .

These switches are known to cause your kind of problem .

You can try working it on & off a few times and see if that changes anything
or go ahead and disconnect the wires from the back of the sw and bolt them
together .
This may get you going until you can replace it , West Marine has better
switches than the original .

Be sure to remove the negative battery cable before working on the wires .
I would also connect a charger to the start battery while checking the switch .

You could still have some sort of batt cable issue such as a poor ground
connection at the frame or engine , maybe even up front somewhere .

Charge the battery .

Ray D
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
YC1

The emergency start button should bring the battery banks together however if the banks are actually low under load the relay may not activate properly.

Use a good automotive jumper cable between the positive output terminals of each bank. Start the generator and let it run 30 minutes.

Try to start it after the batteries have been given a bit of a charge and leave the jumper cable in place.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #7

No mention in your post of engine or coach brand. I had the same problem with my coach earlier this year. Batteries seemed good but just could not turn engine over. Had the batteries load tested and the results were OK, but on the edge. I changed the batteries out - fairly expensive - the old batteries came in the coach and I didn't know age, etc. Same result with new batteries - problem was the starter. Cummins and Cat both refused to do roadside service on an RV although their shops were 10 miles away. Local guy changed my starter in the campground - about $550 for new starter and labor. A rebuilt starter wold have been cheaper, but the mechanic said he had mixed results with rebuilt. BTW, Cummins service said the starters "never fail."
Old 10-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem a couple years ago and found that the Big Boy solenoid was bad. They are easy to disassemble and clean. Most times it's the dielectric grease that they put in solidifies.

Good luck!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

thanks to all that have replied, I have a lot to look into. really don't know where id be without this site and your thoughts. hopefully ill gain enough experience to help someone in the future. again thanks and will post any outcomes.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #10

its a 2000 safari Serengeti with a 330 cat.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:13 PM   #11

tried some things, no luck yet

ok I have load tested the batteries the meter stays at 12.6 v while turning key. the big switch has 12.5 v on both sides. Shouldn't I have at least dim dashlights with the key on. also the voltage on the monitor says .3 instead of 12.6, what would cause that? I havnt checked the grounds yet but I found 2 of them and they look good.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
A couple years ago I had a similar problem. Started off intermittently, I would turn the key and the nothing, turn it off and it would start. Finally I tried to start the rig and nothing.

First thing I checked was the chassis battery disconnect, it was not passing power through it. I took it out and bolted the 2 leads together and the rig started.

Replaced the disconnect (actually bought 2 since the house disconnect is the same thing). and that solved the problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:29 AM   #13
YC1

You did something and now the dash lights do not come on at all.

Sounds like you shot yourself in the foot. Look closely for a dropped wire. This happens all too often. Always take close up pictures before removing wires.

Post some pictures of the battery compartment and the switches.

Look in the compartment below the drive outside and see if there are some panels. Open them and take pictures.

Posting pictures is not difficult and once you do more folks will be able to help.

IF there are boxes in the compartment mentioned, use your voltmeter there. Write any readings down. I like to print the pictures and write the measurements right on them for reference. If you think you will remember them after taking three more measurements your memory is much better than mine and so is your confidence.

There is not reason to just guess at things. We need voltage measurements.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Taking pics is a great idea so you can have them as reference when changing things...

I know when I am into an issue, if I am not methodical about the troubleshooting that hole can get deeper

My disconnects in the passenger side rear compartment:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	192.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	179252