RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Windshield problem 2006 Safari Cheetah

I have a 2006 Safari Cheetah 40PBQ. We incurred a stone chip in April on our way into New Orleans and before Safelight could get to us the Windshield had cracked from top to bottom. We contacted our insurance carrier and made arrangements to have it replaced. When the windshield was replaced it cracked before it left the repair facility. After informing me of the problem, they contacted the glass manufacturer and got detailed instructions for installing another windshield. I picked up the motorhome and drove it home about 60 miles. Everything seemed good. We went to fuel up for a trip to the west coast and as we left the gas station the windshield cracked again. Our Insurance carrier and the repair facility are having problems getting answers from Monaco about solutions and if this coach was part of a recall.

Does anyone have any info on contacts at Monaco or how I can find out if our coach is in more recalls that we not aware of? We have already replaced the trailing arms at our expense.

gulfstream35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 11:15 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take it to a shop that specializes in coach glass installations!

I recommend RV Glass Solutions.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I suspect that your installer is not experienced in replacing MH windshields!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstream35 View Post
I have a 2006 Safari Cheetah 40PBQ. We incurred a stone chip in April on our way into New Orleans and before Safelight could get to us the Windshield had cracked from top to bottom. We contacted our insurance carrier and made arrangements to have it replaced. When the windshield was replaced it cracked before it left the repair facility. After informing me of the problem, they contacted the glass manufacturer and got detailed instructions for installing another windshield. I picked up the motorhome and drove it home about 60 miles. Everything seemed good. We went to fuel up for a trip to the west coast and as we left the gas station the windshield cracked again. Our Insurance carrier and the repair facility are having problems getting answers from Monaco about solutions and if this coach was part of a recall.

Does anyone have any info on contacts at Monaco or how I can find out if our coach is in more recalls that we not aware of? We have already replaced the trailing arms at our expense.
Interesting, my 07 Safari Simba 37 PBD (Monaco) had the windshield come loose at both top corners. The glass guy worked for three hours to try to get it back in place (claims extensive RV experience). Tells me he thinks the coach is "racked" and will need a body shop to work on it and repair the opening to make it the correct size and shape.

I'm starting to think these coaches allow too much flex at the front of the body/chassis which leads to this problem. I have read about a "halo kit" that Monaco produced at one point to prevent the racking action, but alas they are long gone now.

I have seen a few other posts from others with similar problems with our mid 2000's Monaco products.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Apparently the hall kit is no longer available. Not sure why but I would imagine that it didn't fix the problem. Probably similar to the Monaco fix for the trailing arms. I am being told the same thing about excessive racking. No one seems to have answers.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all that responded. We have been in contact with our insurance carrier and feel that they are moving towards a solution to our problem. They have been in contact with RV Glass Solutions and other avenues to put together a lasting fix for this situation. Hopefully we'll be back on the road soon.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:00 AM   #7

Did your motorhome chassis flex/twist extensively leaving the filling station? I'm assuming a combination of a poor windshield install and chassis twist is what caused the cracking.

The windshield needs to sit in the gasket so it does not contact the frame at any palce and (i was told by my windshield guy) the windshield should not be glued to the gasket, just gasket glued to frame, to allow for some movement.

if your Monaco was under a recall, that would have been 10 years ago, so you'd be on your own to make any upgrades - if there are any.

Are you a new owner of this coach? With it being 10 years old if there is a recall issued for the windshield, that was not done, I would think there would have been many windshield replacements done by now.

Good luck
Old 07-06-2018, 05:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes I feel that the body flexes excessively. Our insurance carrier and the repair facility are trying to get information from Monaco on how to specifically address it but they're not having much success. We have owned the coach for 6 years. Thanks for your response
Old 07-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #9

If you have owned the coach for six years and are not seeing recurring windshield breakage, I would say the coach frame is fine and the recent cracking is due to installation (or perhaps a manufacturing defect (out of tolerance) with the glass).

I just had my glass replaced due to crack from my frame twisting (air bag leveling malfunction) so I spent a bunch of time researching windshield issues and installation. I already commented on the gasket gluing advice I read, the other thing I learned is that installer needs to dry fit (no gasket) the glass in the opening to be sure no part of the glass can touch the frame during normal frame flexing (glass movement).
I read that some Owners found on their coaches the frame/opening needed to be ground out a little in a couple of places to ensure adequate space exists between glass and frame.
However I don't think this is your issue or you probably would have been experiencing more glass breakage over the past six years.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #10

Halo kit

I had the "Halo Kit" installed on my 2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter by Iron Horse RV in San Antonio, TX in summer of 2015. Small vertical cracks occurred in upper corners shortly thereafter but not serious enough to pursue. Large rock caused me to have it replaced earlier this year and on an ensuing trip, the bottom right (sitting in coach) popped out. After taking it back to my installer in the town where I live, the windshield cracked as installer was attempting to put windshield back in place. Does anyone have any experience with the Halo installation and what one can expect if done correctly (as in no issues vs minor issues.....) I assume mine was done correctly but how do you really know when you continue to have issues?? Very frustrating......bryan
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #11

Bryan,
Where did Iron Horse RV get the Halo kit (or engineering plans)? Or did they just create their own Halo kit by adding some reinforcement metal?

I was researching this earlier (on this forum), and IIRC, the Halo kit retrofit was ended or discontinued many years before you had yours done. I believe it was just reinforcement steel angle or aluminum tubing welded in above the windshield to strengthen the windshield framing body structure). It involved removing the upper cabinets and welding in supports to the existing body frame above the windshield.

Is this what you had done?

What was the cost?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I recently had my windshield replaced at RV Glass Solutions in Oregon, and when I mentioned the Halo kit, they said they had replaced several windshields that had the halo installed, and seemed less than impressed with it.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #13

Halo

CountryB....I had gotten Iron Horse from the HR tech guys that we used to be able to talk to in Oregon. Daryl, owner of Iron Horse, said he had done several of these kind of "fixes" but did not mention Halo specifically but knew what it was. Basically it was as you described, just a welding of metal across the top to the vertical sides. I was told that there would be windshield corner cracking until I had the cap structurally reinforced. The cost was $6800. Bryan
Jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Halo installation and what one can expect if done correctly (as in no issues vs minor issues.....) I assume mine was done correctly but how do you really know when you continue to have issues?? Very frustrating......bryan
I think having that extra support weldied in is a good thing - and there is no right or wrong way IMO. If the metal support goes across from left to right and is welded in place, then that's all one can do.

Obviously it doesn't guarantee no future windshield breakage, but your better off with it than without. The next time a windshield is installed be sure the installer dry fits the glass to make sure there is no contact areas with frame (and that glass in not too tight when in the gasket). Some have reported needing minor grinding of the opening.

Good luck

Tags
windshield