RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is there any issues with the big one piece windshields? I have owned my Caymen 36SBD since August and have had to have the dealer pull and reset the windshield because of a water leak, and now the rig is back for a warranty replacement of the windshield due to what appears to be a stress crack on the drivers side top corner. Luckily the crack is only on the inside so far. I am looking forward to learning a whole lot more from you folks. I thought I new some of it after pushing one of these coaches around since 1976 but this one is sure different!!

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Is there any issues with the big one piece windshields? I have owned my Caymen 36SBD since August and have had to have the dealer pull and reset the windshield because of a water leak, and now the rig is back for a warranty replacement of the windshield due to what appears to be a stress crack on the drivers side top corner. Luckily the crack is only on the inside so far. I am looking forward to learning a whole lot more from you folks. I thought I new some of it after pushing one of these coaches around since 1976 but this one is sure different!!

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #3

I recall there was another post a while back regarding the cracking of the one pc windshild. I seem to remember some blamed it on a front cap flaw in its design. I have a '06 Endeavor and so far soooooo good. No problem.

You may want to do a search on the Monoco forum on the subject to find that discussion

Good luck!!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #4

I had mine crack in the same spot. Replaced locally under warranty. Since then I have taken some pretty good off camber turns and bumps to see if it would happen again, so far so good. It doesn't seem to sit in the cap like it did and I get a little more movement with the glass that wasn't there before. The windshield used to squeak all the time before it cracked but since it was replaced it doesn't. Thinking it wasn't set right to begin with.

Carl

..... Hope I didn't just jinx myself!
Old 11-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Abray,

There have been a lot of stress cracks reported on this and other Monaco forums, but a lot of other folks have gone crack free. Monaco only went to the one piece windshield on the Camelots on down in 2006, so perhaps it's too early to tell for sure what's causing the problem in some of the coaches that exhibit the problem. (The higher end S-chassis units have had one piece windshilds about 4 or 5 years longer, but you don't seem to hear about many cracks in those coaches.)

So far I've been lucky, and have not recognized any signs of windshield stress with my 07 Dip. What I have decided to do, to help prevent stress, is to try not to park on sites that are significantly sloped from side to side. The other habit I've gotten into, is ignoring the automatic leveling system and leveling manually instead - always making sure the front jack is firmly planted first, to act as a pivot point, and leveling front to back before leveling from side to side. Also, I always dump the air before leveling, and fill the air bags before retrackting the jacks. (That way the coach doesn't move as much as the jacks are retracted.)

I could be acting with a bit too much caution, but so far it's worked for me, so I figure why take chances.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote