Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Windshield Questions

Hey Everyone,

The windshield on my 2007 Cayman does not appear to be seated correctly. The seal on the drivers side edge is pinched under the glass and the top left corner seems to be sitting lower than the passenger side.

If it possible the windshield has moved and needs to be reseated and sealed? If so, any recommendations for repair.......we live in Central Florida.

Thanks

Frank and Jeannie
2007 Monaco Cayman
JustCruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

similar issue

My 04 Windsor's windshield popped out on the bottom driver side after being parked for a month at a campsite. I noticed the day before we left. I had the windshield cover on during our stay so didn't see any changes. The bottom corner was still in the gasket but had stretched out 3/4 of an inch.

I was very concerned. I had my wife hit the drive mode on the air level while I was out side watching the windshield. I was afraid it would crack if it twisted any more. Fortunately as the coach came back to drive mode the windshield reseated.

The coach was in a spot that was off level and the auto level function was periodically engaging. I imagine the repeated twisting of the coach worked the windshield free. I will be having the coach air bags checked soon.

Not sure if your coach had been leveled or what may have caused your situation but I've read about others cracking windshields do to frame flex during leveling.

Bill
mrbodywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:59 AM   #3

Thanks Bill. I am going to try to find someone to reseat the windshield.

Frank and Jeannie
2007 Monaco Cayman
Old 07-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #4

Yep, they will move. About every 1 1/2yrs I have to have the passenger side windshield realigned. The upper left corner will pop out a little ways. It never leaks, but it'll make a whistling noise going down the road.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #5

Some manufacturer are bad for popping windshields during leveling they are not glued at factory.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
As I mentioned on another thread, my 2009 Monaco Cayman's windshield was installed from the factory without urethane sealant... which, according to the Alliance Coach Tech has caused problems for customers. I had Alliance repair and they did an awesome job. They completely removed the windshield, removed the gasket, prepped the opening, installed a new gasket with urethane sealant, let set for 24 hours.

I've not had any other problems since... they did a great job. Plus, they are in Wildwood, FL in central Florida.

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Repair

We had to have our windshield replaced after our trip to Alaska in 2009. We contacted our insurance company who in turn connected us with Duncan Systems, a leader in RV windshield replacement. They in turn contracted with a local company who replaced the windshield, however, a year after install we were in Florida and the windshield had shifted.

I contacted them again and they put me in contact with one of their actual installers, Duncan Systems, which were located in Lakeland Florida. They are in the Yellow Pages.

We actually drove our coach to their warehouse, pulled up to the loading dock, and the installer with a helper removed the glass and reinstalled.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
As I mentioned on another thread, my 2009 Monaco Cayman's windshield was installed from the factory without urethane sealant... which, according to the Alliance Coach Tech has caused problems for customers. I had Alliance repair and they did an awesome job. They completely removed the windshield, removed the gasket, prepped the opening, installed a new gasket with urethane sealant, let set for 24 hours.

I've not had any other problems since... they did a great job. Plus, they are in Wildwood, FL in central Florida.

Ron
If you would please, what did they charge. I will be on Florida this winter and would like to have my coach done.

Thanks
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quick fix????

Sounds like a minor glass movement. Don’t make too big a problem outs of it. A few years back the windshield on our coach became pinched by the gasket after hitting a low spot in a campground and tipping the coach quite a bit. All I did was take a straight hobby tool or dentist probe and bent a slight hook on the end. Slide the hook behind the pinched spot and slowly slide the gasket back out. It has never happened again.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Windshield Warranty Work

Since Duncan System had (through a subcontractor) installed the glass initially they didn't charge me anything to reset the glass. I had provided the information to another person who had his reset and sais they charged $125/hr. The job took less then an hour since I went to their shop.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:54 PM   #11

Thanks so much for the great information! Since the windshield shifted so much, I believe it will be best to repair the seals before our next road trip.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have the receipt with me... it's stored with the RV. However, the new gasket was about $200, plus they used 4 tubes of urethane. I believe they charged around 2-3 hours of labor at $120 per hour. The labor mainly depends on clean-up work needed... it didn't take long to pull the windshield or put it back in correctly. IMO, it's the right way to fix it permanently.

Ron
RonaldNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldNC View Post
I don't have the receipt with me... it's stored with the RV. However, the new gasket was about $200, plus they used 4 tubes of urethane. I believe they charged around 2-3 hours of labor at $120 per hour. The labor mainly depends on clean-up work needed... it didn't take long to pull the windshield or put it back in correctly. IMO, it's the right way to fix it permanently.

Ron

Sounds like it is the RIGHT way to have it fixed.
Time to make time to have it done.

Thanks for the info.
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Alliance Coach over in Wildwood. Summer, no snowbirds, you should get in pretty quickly. Overnight hookups too.

Breakfast at the place next door, forget the name CRS again.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote