Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Windshield Wiper Arm Slipping

I have a 2007 Safari Simba DP (same as a Cayman or Neptune). The driver's side windshield wiper arm is slipping on the shaft. I torqued the bolt down very tight, but it still slipped when the wipers were on high. I installed a new wiper arm from Diesel Equipment, but it just seems that there's nothing to prevent it from slipping again, that is, there are no splines in the wiper arm to mesh with the splines on the shaft and the only way to try to keep it from slipping is to torque the bolt. I tried to use a lock washer, but it made the connection too thick and there's not enough room to get the bolt fully seated on the shaft, so I just used a regular washer. It works now, but I fear it will slip ehen I encounter heavy rain.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a solution? Thanks.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
sabre77

I would think you can get a replacement arm with splines. Try NAPA, or another auto parts store.
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Saber77....Was the shaft originally splined and wore smooth or is it coned shaped and the wiper is a friction fit? if it's a friction fit, you could try placing a couple of pieces of soldering wire on the shaft and then fit the wiper over it and tighten. This may be enough to make it tight without destroying the shaft.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
It's a cone-shaped shaft and a friction fit (bad engineering!). The natural movement of the wiper arm serves to loosen the nut on the shaft. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Where was that post regarding J-B Weld
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #6

Hi,
Should be a washer with friction grip features under the nut. Then tourqe nut to 20 ft lbs.
Don

PS should be part of regular checks to maintain MoHo
D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #7

those wiper shafts are junk!!!!!!!! Try using a drop of lock tite thread locker on the tapered part of the shaft. good luck.
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 AM   #8

Saber77,
I had the same problem with my 2006 Camelot. I removed the arm and found the spline stripped. I bought some good epoxy putty (the kind where you mix two parts of the putty together) and packed the spline shaft with it. I then tighten it down as tight as I could. Haven't had a problem since.
john50799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the help -- I managed to talk to a Monaco tech rep and they advised to try using lock tight. The arm is held on by friction only and the shaft splines are supposed to cut into the wiper arm to hold it on...............
Old 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #10

Saber 77, if you're still out there. Have you had any additional issues with the wiper? I have a 2008 and had the same problem. Just wondering how the fix was holding up.
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I didn't have any more problems with it, although I traded the Simba for a Newmar 2 years ago -- huge difference in coach quality.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #12

Yes, I would agree you purchased a quality rig. I would modify my decision. I've spent a ton of bucks correcting Safari's and Workhorses product. Just have to convince my wife.
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote