RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My wipers (2 piece windshield) have two arms running to the wiper blade on each side. Each arm has a plastic "C" channel cover over it. One of the covers on each side keeps/hides the washer tubing. One of mine is disintegrating. I called Monaco, but they don't show a listing for the cover. The parts guy was nice enough to call back the next day and tell me where they buy their wipers from. I went to the company's website and they are the producers of the entire windshield wiper assembly. They also sell a LOT of other diesel equipment parts. Take a look. Diesel Equipment Company

If anyone else needs those covers, they are out of stock and won't have any until January.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My wipers (2 piece windshield) have two arms running to the wiper blade on each side. Each arm has a plastic "C" channel cover over it. One of the covers on each side keeps/hides the washer tubing. One of mine is disintegrating. I called Monaco, but they don't show a listing for the cover. The parts guy was nice enough to call back the next day and tell me where they buy their wipers from. I went to the company's website and they are the producers of the entire windshield wiper assembly. They also sell a LOT of other diesel equipment parts. Take a look. Diesel Equipment Company

If anyone else needs those covers, they are out of stock and won't have any until January.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Don,

I looked at those wipers on the Diesel Equipment web site. You're lucky. The wipers they went to for the Dip when they came out with the one-piece windshild are junk, compared to those. They now have arms with plastic knuckle joints that keep slipping off the rotar when it rains. They look more like these, but they are made by AM Equipment, not Diesel Equipment.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Robin,
Who made your original wiper assembly? My '06 Endeavor is made by AM Equipment and looks very similar to the wiper system in your post. We have not had a problem but did adjust the roadside wiper to align it horizontally with the other wiper. My arc stops way before the sharp curve in the windshield. I have a single arm from the motor assembly to the curb side wiper and the roadside wiper is slaved off of the curb side washer. It sounds like Monaco has had several vendors for wiper systems.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Robin, did you get your windshield wiper issue corrected?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mark,

From your description, it sounds like maybe I do have the same wipers you have, instead of the ones from Diesel Equipment Co. that I posted. I'll have to check more carefully. However, I have tried to adjust the position of the road-side arm, to no avail. The bolt that goes through to the outside has a cam cut into it, and there does not seem to be a way to alter the position.

Brenda, no I have not even gotten into the shop yet, but I'm pressing the issue. The little slivers of razor blade that they stuck into the knuckle fitting, while I was on the road, seem to be taking up the slack and preventing it from failing at this point, but that's certainly not a permanent fix.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mark,

I looked on the AM web site, and their one-piece windshield motorhome/bus application is definately a better grade assembly than what I have, but it doesn't look like you described. Do your wipers have the platic knuckle ball joints, or are the actuator arms fastened to the rotar assemblies with nuts? Can you find a diagram of your application on the AM Equipment web site?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Robin,
Mine have the plastic knuckle joint. I have an email into AM Equipment asking for a parts list and drawing and asking if my assembly can be modified for nuts instead of push on plastic knobs and if I can increase the arc. My drivers side wiper reverses about 4 inches from the start of the glass curve and obscures the mirror. My assembly looks more like the MT design but with the pass side driving the driver side wiper. While I have not had the problems others have described I worry every time it rains. A couple of weeks ago we were in Beaumont, TX and had to use the high speed wipers for about 10 minutes and low speed for about 20 minutes and I was very nervous.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mark,

I went out to the Dip and checked. I have the very same AM Equipment wiper system that you have on your 06 Endeavor. I found an AM label on the motor with a model number 238-1002, manufactured in 2006.

My next step was to call AM Equipment customer service to find out what's going on. I found out why you cannot find our system on the AM website. AM discontinued our system, and replaced it with the much more durable tubular system they are now showing on the site. They also did away with the plastic ball and socket couplers that keep popping off. They say that the new system is being installed on "new" Monoaco products, which I assume means the '08 model year.

BTW, I also found out that there IS a way to adjust the arm angle on our system, but the adjustment is inside the coach in the pivot shaft, itself.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Robin,
Thanks for the tip on arc adjustment, I'll look for it. I would like a little more on the drivers side. I have an email into AM asking about what needs to be done to replace the pop on (or pop off ) with something more reliable and how to adjust arc. Have not heard back from them, maybe because they know the '06 and '07 wiper assembly is a POS. Mine have not malfunctioned but I have little confidence in the current system. Has Monaco said anything about replacing yours? If they have not I wonder what they would say about the potential for law suit if the wiper failed and caused an accident.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 11-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
Has Monaco said anything about replacing yours? If they have not I wonder what they would say about the potential for law suit if the wiper failed and caused an accident.

mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At this point, I've told the dealer I wanted the system replaced, and they are handling through their warranty department. I'll give 'em about 10 days, and if I don't get the proper response, I'll take up the fight with Monaco myself. They may surprise me and agree. Who knows?

Please let me know what AM says if they do answer your email message.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Good luck Robin. I got a response back from AM Equipment and they asked for more information. I asked if the tubular system is a direct replacement for the system we have and they discontinued. If so, I really think Monaco needs to swap them out regardless of warranty status if they throw link arms. Very dangerous situation.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 11-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The wiper on our 04 Imperial are so bad I don't use them any more unless there's something on the glass like dirt or ice. I just keep the glass shined up with rain-X, water runs off, fast.

Does present a problem at nite, which I rarely drive during.

I just replaced the 30" wiper assy with 28". We'll see if that does any good.
Ron
Old 11-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
As Robin knows, and if you read my previous threads on this very issue... we got our entire assembly (everything) replaced by Monaco (out of warranty)... but it wasn't easy. You MUST be insistent on this issue, otherwise someone is going to get in a disastrous accident. It is waaaaay to dangerous to not have windshield wipers to trust... you never know what you're going to run into. For us, a freak snowstorm in late April in Northern Arizona was the "last straw"... snow doesn't just roll off a windshield. Love Monaco, they made good by us, but they really need to address this problem and stop pretending it doesn't exist.

Brenda, of...