RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all, I mentioned this in an old thread several months back, but the problem has "re-occurred". The first time we drove the Marquis in the rain, the driver's side wiper promptly threw itself over the left edge of the panaview windshield and stuck around the driver's side window. Called Monaco repair place in Mesa, AZ, they said it was a "known issue" and would order the retro-fit part for us. They did, showed Tony how to install it (pretty simple install). So, we haven't had to drive in the rain in a few months, but this trip that we are on right now, we have run into rain. First opportunity to see if it works. It doesn't. Same thing has happened again. I will be calling Monaco, and I know someone else here had the same problem and was able to fix it himself... but has anyone else here had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You will find the fix you asked about here, Brenda...

Good Luck & Safe Travels!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, MM! You rock! I still wonder if anyone else has found any other solutions...
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had this same problem on our '07 Diplomat during its maiden voyage. The wipers worked fine at regular speed, but during a torrential downpour we switched them to high speed and after a few swipes the driver's side wiper flipped past the left edge of the windshield and stayed there. Vision reduced to near zero, nowhere to go, quite scary (see our website for more detail of this event).

We returned to our dealer in Wakarusa, IN (DeMartini) and initially they tried various fixes to solve the problem, but none of them worked. In the generator compartment there are a couple of rods that interconnect the two wiper blade motors. The shaft coming out of each the motors has a round ball that a "knuckle" on the rod snaps over. It appeared to them that under the increased torque and pressure of high speed operation the "knuckle" would pop off the end of the motor shaft and, of course, the wiper would cease to function. Normally, they would have ordered a new rod for us. However, seeing our plight they pulled a rod from a new coach on the lot and installed it on our Dip. We REALLY appreciated them doing this.

I am no technical person when it comes to this kind of thing, but it sure looks like the "knuckle" design is not a good one for this application. I looked at another brand of MH and it appeared to have a better designed locking connection to the wiper motor.

So far no more problems with the high speed operation, but I have to admit I use the high speed wipers as little as possible and I cringe when I do.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:24 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pull the wiper arms off and check the wiper arm gear cones.

Last year, my new 06 Allegro, at the time, the wipers went berserk, one gear cone was cracked and actually broken in half, causing erratic operation. Don't know how, or why, but it also affected the cruise control. Replaced the gear cone, no problems since then.

This was on a workhorse.
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoolJourney:
I am no technical person when it comes to this kind of thing, but it sure looks like the "knuckle" design is not a good one for this application. I looked at another brand of MH and it appeared to have a better designed locking connection to the wiper motor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill,

I saw in another thread where the problem might be that the fiberglass is too flexible where the wiper shafts go through. A Knight owner had them braced with plywood and said it resolved the problem for him. On my 07 Dip, there is a metal U-channel reaching from one wiper arm to the other behind the fiberglass, so that's not the total problem.

We have had our actuator arm pop off that knuckle on the motor twice. It always happens, of course, when you need the wipers on high because it's raining like crazy. There has GOT be be a better design than that.

The last time, the dealer put a different kind fastener on that knuckle, or perhaps replaced the entire wiper motor with one where the arm attaches differently. It looks more secure, but I haven't had to use the wipers on high yet since that fix was done. I hope that resolved the proplem We'll see.

Bill, did you ever resolve your buzzing problem in the home theatre amp? If so, I'd love to know how, and I've got more info on that if you need it.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the responses and input. I agree, this is VERY dangerous. Before the first fix, we had it happen in a freak snow storm... no where to pull off, no visibility. Finally pulled asfar over as possible and somehow (thank God) they started working again. This time it was on bendy mountain roads, so very scary to have no wipers. Anyone else experience the same thing? When I call Monaco tomorrow I want to have as much info as possible on these failures.

Thanks again...
Old 09-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Here is today's update... after calling Monaco and being told (this time) that there is no "known issue" with the wipers on any Beaver coach...only some Monaco coaches, I had our local Monaco authorized repair shop call them (they had obtained the original retro-fit from Monaco and had been told it was a "known issue"). After two days of discussion, we were told that there was an adjustment to be made, and either we could try it ourselves, or bring the coach in, and they would try it. If that didn't work, then they would have to replace the windshield wiper assembly. So, Tony took it to them today, they tried to torque the nut, but before it even got to the needed torque setting, it sheared the bolt. Glad they did it, not us! Now Monaco is providing a new wiper assembly. They are quite adamant now that this issue doesn't exist on Beavers, but, hmmmmmmm... we didn't "break" the wipers! Looking forward to having it fixed properly next week before next trip (next weekend).
Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Well, as I type we are on our way home from Albuquerque, NM, and we've just had our first opportunity to test the new windshield wipers. Hooray!!!! They worked great! (Knocking wood). They are very different from the originals, don't go anywhere near the far edge. It was great to be able to see through a clear windshield in the rain. Thank you Monaco!! (And RV Renovators!)
Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #10

I have had the same problem. I am currently at RV America, Loveland, Co. They have ordered a complete motor, operator arms and pivots for the wiper arms. They are supposed to be heavy enought to overcome the heavy arms and the small spindels they are mounted on. Hope this cures the problem. PS The Beaver parked in front of us has the exact same problem.
CharlesandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Hey guys/gals, seems like a few Monaco owners have wiper problems. Lucky for me, our 07 Dip does not have these mechanical problems.

One product I would suggest you look into, "Diamon fusion". Cost a few $$ 1200.00 but, I have been in multiple very heavy rainstorms, snow, ice with our coach and vision has never been an issue!

I remember one storm coming through Salt Lake on our way home from yellow stone last year. We hit this freak storm on the way out of town, it was coming down so hard I thought we were going to float away and was seriously looking for a place to pull off from fear of hydro planning. Thank god the traffic was very light. At any rate that was the only time I have used high on the wipers and it was not because I couldn't see. The water would not bead off the window fast enough and the wipers seem to move it lol.

In light to moderate rain I don't even need the window wipers... The water just beads off the window.

This stuff is like rain X on steroids. I originally bought it because they will do window replacement at no cost if a rock hits the window and cracks or breaks the window for the life of the window... After seeing what it does I am a salesmen on this stuff! Pretty amazing stuff! Read more about it here!

http://www.diamonfusion.com/en/produ...t%20works.html

Mike

2007 Diplomat PDQ 40
Socal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Charles and Di, what coach do you have? We were not under warranty (as we bought ours used)... but it took a really good repair facility (and persistance on our part)to get to the heart of the problem. Glad you're getting yours replaced, and hope it works well. I'm also curious as to what coach (year and model, if you know) has the problem. It's pretty dang scary in the wrong weather to have them fail. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoolJourney:
We had this same problem on our '07 Diplomat during its maiden voyage. The wipers worked fine at regular speed, but during a torrential downpour we switched them to high speed and after a few swipes the driver's side wiper flipped past the left edge of the windshield and stayed there. Vision reduced to near zero, nowhere to go, quite scary (see our website for more detail of this event).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am continuing to have this problem with my '07 Dip. Has anyone found a true solution yet?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #14

bsavage,
I have had the same problem on my 07 Dynasty. Went the same route as Charles&Di, new arms, motor et al. Been through a couple of gulley washers and it has seemed to fix the problem. Yes it is no fun when it happens and can equate it to landing on a pitching deck at night NORDO.

V/R
Jeff

AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote