RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Winterize '06 Holiday Rambler Motorhome. Need instructions please

My brother in law bought his first motorhome this summer. Unfortunately he had a surgical procedure last week, and it is suppose to freeze this Saturday night. I volunteered to drive up and winterize his rig tomorrow.

I own and have winterized Newmar's, but know nothing about HR. This summer, looking at his rig, I don't remember seeing the valves and hose to suck the antifreeze into the main tank. ,And I don't know where the hot water tank bypass valves are.

Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hopefully, someone with the same year HR will respond soon. On my 2000, the anti-freeze intake nipple protrudes through the floor of the wet bay on the driver's side. You may also find a water filter in the kitchen sink cabinet that should have a plug to seal the fitting without a filter. Water heater is pretty standard, with bypass valve accessible from inside and drain plug on the outside. If he has a washing machine, you'll need the instructions for the particular model.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

If there is a manual in the Motor Home, there are instructions re:winterization in the manual, my HR Scepter 2005 has built in Antifreeze tank which makes the winterization very easy.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

The HR manuals are available on line. Run a Google search and select the appropriate model and year. You can then download the PDF.
xydial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #5

fridge ice maker too
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Printed the owners manual.......carefully followed each step of the air procedure, and could not get it to take any air....at 40psi. Then tried the anti freeze procedure, again step by step. Would not pump antifreeze from the bottle. I tried each step, several times, then tried to open valves individually, still no suction.

With the pump on. The main selector lever in the city position I could get bubbles in the gallon. With the lever in the fill position .( per instructions) got nothing.

Things I did........Drained hot water tank, with open relief valve, then closed both. Then closed hot water bypass valve. Opened and drained, main water tank drain.....opened and drained two low point valves, and opened all inside facets and toilet, then closed both. Disconnected ice maker lines, blew,out output side of solenoid. Reconnected both lines. Open and drain d outside shower line, and closed.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #7

What model 06 HR did he buy?
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #8

Sounds like you lost the pump prime. If you open the low point drains and all the faucets the water lines should drain. To blow out the lines my water fill lever must be in the city water position. Don't forget the fresh water filter and the under sink filter in the kitchen if he has one. Also, if equipped with a washer/dryer run a couple cups of antifreeze through the machine. My water heater bypass is located on the back side of the water heater and accessible through a door on the bulkhead inside the storage compartment next to the water heater. Don't forget to pour some antifreeze into each drain. Hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
Sounds like you lost the pump prime. If you open the low point drains and all the faucets the water lines should drain. To blow out the lines my water fill lever must be in the city water position. Don't forget the fresh water filter and the under sink filter in the kitchen if he has one. Also, if equipped with a washer/dryer run a couple cups of antifreeze through the machine. My water heater bypass is located on the back side of the water heater and accessible through a door on the bulkhead inside the storage compartment next to the water heater. Don't forget to pour some antifreeze into each drain. Hope this helps!

I forgot about a filter under the sink, would that prevent it from sucking in the anti freeze? Secondly, how would you restore the prime in the pump if it is lost?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #10

The under sink filter would not prevent the pump from drawing antifreeze. It would probably not drain and freeze and crack if cold enough. Make sure the water pump shut off valve between the pump and water tank is closed, otherwise it will draw air from the empty water tank. Make sure the winterization valve is open and start at the outside shower. That way you can see that the pump is drawing antifreeze.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

We winterized our 06 navigator today. Opened all low point drains, drained fresh, gray and black tanks. Drained water heater and put it on bypass. Removed all four water filters, emptied them and replaced canisters. Closed valve between water pump and fresh water tank. Then started drawing antifreeze in with water pump siphon hose until all faucets, toilet, and shower ran pink. It took over 4 gallons. The only thing I'm not sure of is washer. I'll look at it tomorrow. I shut the water off to it as the dealer told us not to pull antifreeze into it. Ice maker has never been used since we bought it a few months ago.
sunset4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Our 05 Endeavor has the antifreeze tank and switches in the cabinet over the entry door to bypass hot water tank and bypass for the the pump to pump from the antifreeze tank.

Drain all tanks including hot water tank and close them off. Drain the low point drains with the faucets open. When empty shut everything off. Turn on pump and pump antifreeze through outdoor shower, refrigerator icemaker line to solenoid valve and blow out water to freezer, open hot and cold of each faucet in coach until antifreeze runs out, flush through the commode until antifreeze runs, run the washer on warm until antifreeze is visible in drum. Remove filter under kitchen sink, drain and put in replacement pipe, empty insinkerator tank and replace plug when empty. Do not run antifreeze through insinkerator. Turn pump off, winterizing is complete.

Tags
holiday rambler, motorhome, winter