Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winterize a Aqua Hot system

I have a 2002 Sign. with the Aqua-hot water and heat system.
I have blown down the water line and was thinking about pumping RV antifreeze through the system.
I'm assuming that the other 3 zones do not need any attention because they circulate antifreeze, if this is wrong please let me know.
I have owned lots of class C and campers and winterized them but nothing like the aqua hot system.
Also it has a small pressure tank in the potable water system, I'm think it will be ok if I pump the RV antifreeze through it, I have bypassed the insta hot and drained it, plan on putting antifreeze down the drains, if anyone can tell me if I have missed anything on this it would be appreciated.
I live in Alaska really don't want to chance broken lines.
I was told it is of to run the heat system even though the water system is winterized.
Thanks, Dave
Davidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #2

With an Aquahot it is highly recommended if not mandatory to run rv antifreeze through the domestic water loop. if not, the water in your copper lines in your aquahot will freeze and break the lines which will basically destroy it. Very expensive repair or replacement!
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my 04 Sig. the previous owner must of let it freeze but not burst the copper coils inside. It must of swelled it and weakened the copper. At a campground in Terlingua, TX I forgot the pressure reg. and put 110 lbs. pressure in the coach. It held for 3 days then started leaking out the overflow tank from inside the Aqua Hot. Had to have it replaced for $7000, OUCH...... Now when winterizing I (over kill) first blow out all lines (40lbs), then I removed the inlet fitting at the pump and install the same fitting with a clear plastic line (1/2") in a 5 gallon bucket filled with RV antifreeze and pump it thru all faucets, Instahot, shower head, washer. icemaker line and toilet. Antifreeze fills drain lines and flows into holding tanks to protect them. Then I blow it out again. Don't like antifreeze setting in lines all winter.
The old saying that "TOO MUCH IS JUST RIGHT" applies here for me..

Now I always use a WATTS pressure reg. all the time...DUH...

Safe travels
Dave
Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, you have it all correct. Aquahot really should have the antifreeze in domestic water portion since they use coils and if it freezes you are out thousands of dollars. The zones are good as they already circulate antifreeze.
Yes, it is fine to run the aquahot after winterizing.
If you have a washer be sure to include it in the blow out and add of antifreeze. The ice maker also will need to be cleared out.
I do the same as what you are proposing. Blow out lines then add antifreeze. Cuts down on the amount of antifreeze to flush through.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #5

One more chiming in with three thoughts.

1) I try not to introduce any antifreeze into the line to the ice maker
2) I try not to introduce any antifreeze into the insta-hot
3) I try to minimize the antifreeze that gets into that pressure tank

If you coach has a Manibloc, you can limit where you inject the anti-freeze.

My pressure tank was originally mounted horizontally. I rotated it to the vertical, so the water fitting is at the bottom. That way, when un-winterizing, I can first blow out the lines and end by leaving the system pressurized with the air. Then when I turn off the air and open the low point drain, the air in the pressure tank will pretty much purge the anti-freeze from the tank. With it mounted horizontal, some stays in the tank and it has to be progressively diluted over time with fresh water when you finally do un-winterize.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
K7JV, I failed to mention that I installed a valve to the pressure tank to take it out of the system which works well. Also I made a bypass to the dual water filters with Pex pipe and fittings so I don't have to fill those also. It reduces the amount of antifreeze needed. For the icemaker I unhook the water feed to the fridge and just blow the fridge piping out, and purge the water feed to the fridge with antifreeze, so no antifreeze in the fridge and no tasty ice cubes.....

Safe travels
Dave
Old 09-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

One of the questions was about the zones. They are not affected by winterizing the AH. When you winterize the AH you are introducing antifreeze into the water coil inside the boiler, and you do this at the same time you introduce it to all your pipes.

The fluid used to heat the zones is the boiler fluid, and assuming it is in good shape it won't freeze. It is not a bad idea if it is a new to you coach to test the specific gravity of the boiler fluid.

Regarding keeping antifreeze out of the pressure tank, you shouldn't have to worry about it if you have the taps open while you are running the pump. You won't get much in there.

Another thing to consider about winterizing these things are the filters - assuming you have built in filters. First they are quite large and hold a lot of antifreeze, second, the fill and empty from the top, and you wind up diluting a lot of antifreeze before you push all the water out.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidv View Post
I have a 2002 Sign. with the Aqua-hot water and heat system.
I have blown down the water line and was thinking about pumping RV antifreeze through the system.
I'm assuming that the other 3 zones do not need any attention because they circulate antifreeze, if this is wrong please let me know.
I have owned lots of class C and campers and winterized them but nothing like the aqua hot system.
Also it has a small pressure tank in the potable water system, I'm think it will be ok if I pump the RV antifreeze through it, I have bypassed the insta hot and drained it, plan on putting antifreeze down the drains, if anyone can tell me if I have missed anything on this it would be appreciated.
I live in Alaska really don't want to chance broken lines.
I was told it is of to run the heat system even though the water system is winterized.
Thanks, Dave
I drain my system at the low point valves and drain the fresh water holding tank, add 10 gallons of RV antifreeze ($ 25.00) and cycle everything until I see deep pink running ....including the washer and dryer. Wet seals are much happier happy than dry seals ... and then Im done with it.

When put back in service, I fill with fresh water and some bleach for a couple of tanks of water. As far as drinking the afterward? I don't drink water from RV parks anyways because I don't trust them ...even with having multiple filters in my coach system ...so I've never really worried about that.

As stated don't forget to check the protection and level of the boiler fluid in your aquahot.

Happy Trails
Old 09-03-2017, 02:12 AM   #9

One thing I look for when buying RV antifreeze is that is specifically states safe for Copper plumbing. This is primarily for the Aqua Hot furnace coil.
Iver.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your time and suggestions, I'm with you on better safe then sorry, I made the mistake of not buying an adjustable regulator and blew my insta hot tank, seen a better adjustable one at home depot and I will make sure to use the pressure regulator on my water system, usually the pressure is a little low but you never know.
have a great one,
Dave
Davidv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter