Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Winterizing Monaco

i HAVE A mONACO lA pALMA 2006, DEISEL. i CANNOT LOCATE THE BY-PASS VALVE FOR THE HOT WATER HEATER. iT IS NOT BEHIND THE HOT WATER HEATER THAT I CAN SEE. CAN ANYONE HELP?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hot water heater by pass.

We have a 2000 Safari Trek gasoline motor home. There is no by pass for the hot water heater. Darn !!! To winterize we empty the tank by removing the anode. Replace the anode after the tank is empty. The manual suggests blowing out the lines with compressed air while opening and closing each faucet. Dump some anti freeze in the P traps. It has worked well and doesn't require gallons of anti freeze. What does your owners manual say?
My .03 cents
Have fun
Milt

Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Here's a scan from 2006 Vacationer Diesel Owner's Manual (same as LaPalma) showing location of by-pass valve.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWT-Bypass.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	5883  
Old 10-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
popsuscdds

Assuming you HAVE a bypass valve, it will be in the same location as where the cold water enters the HWH (typicallly a blue pipe) and the hot water exits the HWH (a red pipe). On my Diplomat, the valve is readily accessible under the bath sink, at the front of the HWH.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 'Blowing the Air' technique will not work in our climate, where our winter temperatures drop down as low as -40 degrees. We have to draw RV antifreeze into the entire water system. If the hot water tank is not bypassed, then the hot water tank must be filled with RV antifreeze before the antifreeze will get through the entire system.

I just finished installing a hot water bypass valve kit last week in my coach. Most RV shops and RV parts supply stores such as Camping World handle them. Or you can purchase the individual components from a Lowe's and make up your own kit.

It's supposed to be a simple job, but it took me all day to get it done. Several trips to the hardware store for that 'special' fitting.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
water heater bypass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	161
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	5969  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #7

My '93 Bounder didn't come with a water heater bypass so I added one. Check it every couple years as I developed a small water leak at one of the fittings.