Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winterizing- Pink Stuff vs. Air; what about the pump

Unfortunately I can't head south for the winter, thus need to winterize my coach. Last year I did the pink stuff, but have been thinking about doing the process this year with my compressor. From what I have read most people hook their compressor to the park water inlet and go through all the faucets one at a time. If you do it this way is there any concern about water sitting in the pump? Or do you hook air to the connection where you normally suck antifreeze, turn the pump on and let it rip?
Thanks
Doug
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

I put adaptor on and hook up air compressor with 80 lbs air,. I open low point drain first and never close it. I open each faucet one at a time and wait for all air after water has stopped coming out. I remove line at 12 volt pump and let it drain, I pour pink into every drain I never put the pink into water lines I open the tank drain and let it drain water tank. I put a note on aqua hot that NO hot water I drain grey and black tanks. I carry 3 gal water jugs to use toilette when traveling to warm. I have two gal water to make coffee and drink water bottles.

Been doing it for 30+ years never had problem Now I just go south early. Did friends Winnebago this week
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sheri & Don, There's no issues with running your Aqua Hot with no water in it.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
After I empty all three holding tanks and the HWH, I force compressed air through the city fitting and run the air out everywhere. I then hook up a line before the freshwater pump and run the pink stuff through the entire system. Then finish with a gallon of pink stuff in all the drains and toilet. It's $12 and 20 minutes more than the air only way. Even with air only you still have to put the pink stuff down all of the drains...

There are several videos on YouTube that show you just about every way to do it. I sleep better the way I do it and I'm used to doing a large boat with multiple systems to winterize.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

All good, but don't forget to open the black tank flush and outdoor shower head. The black tank flush has a vacuum breaker valve that can burst if there is water left in it.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you do air only, then after blowing out from the city water connection, I would also blow low pressure air into the tube that is used to suck in red stuff, with that valve in winterization position and the water pump running. I have had the clear plastic cap on the water filter on the inlet side of the water pump break due to water trapped inside of it that freezes, when I tried to avoid using the red stuff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Don't forget. If you have a residential fridge, the water dispenser needs to be cleared with air. Also remove the filter. I have a 200w heater behind the fridge to keep the valves from freezing. I also drain the hot water tank after air is forced through the system. We have an electric toilet so you need to treat that also. It has a pump. Remove all water filters. If you have a washer, follow the manual for winterizing. Lot's going on here.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the advise.

Randy
Your comment was exactly what I was thinking needed to be done
Thanks
Doug
Old 10-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
After I empty all three holding tanks and the HWH, I force compressed air through the city fitting and run the air out everywhere. I then hook up a line before the freshwater pump and run the pink stuff through the entire system. Then finish with a gallon of pink stuff in all the drains and toilet. It's $12 and 20 minutes more than the air only way. Even with air only you still have to put the pink stuff down all of the drains...

There are several videos on YouTube that show you just about every way to do it. I sleep better the way I do it and I'm used to doing a large boat with multiple systems to winterize.
We do the same.

Air will work.

Pink will work.

Both = PRICELESS
Old 10-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #10

While there are many points of view on this subject, I personally would not take the chance on the possibility of low-lying water freezing up in my aqua -hot my coach.

The cost of repairing can easily cost $ 10k dollars or more, when for $ 20.00 you can pump the pink thru the system with no chance of any freezing and also with using the RV coolant you keep all the rubber pliable seals pliable and not dry up while the coach is down.

If you're concerned about your fridge and the taste of RV pink in your water or ice? pull the lines off at the man-block and blow them out with air.

As with anything, there are lots of ways to do this and as you see and many opinions on the subject....however and to be redundant..... I would not ever take the chance with "my" aqua-hot system with anything other than purging the system with -50 RV pink while in storage here in the midwest with temps going as low as -20f

JMOICBW...but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express

Tags
winter