Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

Winterizing revisited

It’s that time of year for us northerners.

Last year I winterized my coach using Rv antifreeze. I dumped RV coolant into the holding tank and ran it thru the coach and intend to do the same thing this year. I have an aqua-hot setup and want to take no chances of water laying in the system somewhere and also like the idea of using RV coolant to keep and seal from drying up.

That being said the downside of this was it was a bit of a hassle dealing with purging the fridge afterward to get good clean water and ice….not a big deal but a deal none the less.

So I intend to flood the system with RV antifreeze again….but what I want to do this year is purge the Fridge with compressed air.

So I have some questions.

I ass-ume that you remove the line labeled fridge from the man-block and purge the line with regulated compressed air?
If so?

Do I need to cycle the ice maker or the water dispenser in the Fridge while doing so ?

Also what p.s.i.

Do I just use a rubber tip blow gun? or do I need a fitting to hook to the fridge line at the man-block the refrigerator?

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

Not knowing what fridge you have, I will assume you have a Norcold 1200. The line pressure I use is 45psi and I hook up the adapter to the water inlet and select city water. Then I blow out all the lines including the washer/dryer lines. I don't think I can blow out my ice maker lines because I remember reading that the Ice maker won't operate until the freezer hits a certain temperature; might have to check on that. If this is true, the solenoid won't open to allow the air to pass. Instead, I remove the two lines from behind the fridge at the water solenoid and blow air out from the line that comes up from the floor. The other line I just let gravity do the work. I don't like to use the RV antifreeze except for the toilet, sinks and shower drains. Blowing out the lines has always worked well us. Good Luck
Old 10-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
tcg

If there is no water dispenser why can't you just disconnect the water line and let gravity drain it. Any water in the ice maker shouldn't be a problem, should it?

I mean don't ice makers freeze the water every day.

I'm just going by what people do to winterize a cottage, no one I know puts antifreeze in the actual ice maker.

Is an rv ice maker different?
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #4

I've always used air to blow out lines. This year I purchased a new blow out connector which worked great. It is a brass quick change connector that connects direct to air compressor so you are free to work on opening all valves. 20 minute job. I disconnect water line to ice maker and blew out water. Need to purchase antifreeze to pour in traps.
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

The Refrigerator is a whirlpool home style

As stated in my original post I will not just blow out the lines due to having an aqua-hot boiler system and in the event of any low-lying water not be being removed and it freezes and cracks something ....yikes ! were are talking a possibility of $ 10k or more in repairs as stated here at IRV2 in earlier threads about this subject.

Thanks for everyone's input
Old 10-25-2016, 11:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
The Refrigerator is a whirlpool home style

As stated in my original post I will not just blow out the lines due to having an aqua-hot boiler system and in the event of any low-lying water not be being removed and it freezes and cracks something ....yikes ! were are talking a possibility of $ 10k or more in repairs as stated here at IRV2 in earlier threads about this subject.

Thanks for everyone's input
I completely agree about blowing the water, then using anti-freeze with an aquahot. If you have the large white plastic built in filters at a minimum remove and empty them because they flow out through the top - so air won't remove the water. If you don't you wind up diluting a lot of anti-freeze before you are running a pure mix.

One trick I do use is I blow out the water then run the anti-freeze, when I want to clear out the anti-freeze I blow it out and save it since it is pretty much pure, then run water. If you are running the big plastic filters you should remove and drain them again or your water will be part anti-freeze for days. I also find I don't get the anti-freeze taste and smell hanging around.

I don't run my ice maker so leave it winterized - I don't really trust the water in my tanks. I cheat and fill it with bought ice and use the dispenser.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:34 AM   #7

I typically just use air to blow out all the lines.
Usually do it 3-4 times then remove the filters and the bracket.
I have a dedicated hose with a fitting which attaches to the inlet pipe where the filters were attached. With all other faucets and valves closed, I open the HOT water drain on the AquaHot and using that hose I pump the pink stuff, (it has to be the safe kind for copper pipe), until it comes out the AquaHot drain and then close the drain.
In the spring I use fresh water to flush out the Aquahot the same way.
I really don't like the smell or taste of the pink stuff so I like to keep the amount of antifreeze to a minimum.
Iver.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
If there is no water dispenser why can't you just disconnect the water line and let gravity drain it. Any water in the ice maker shouldn't be a problem, should it?

I mean don't ice makers freeze the water every day.

I'm just going by what people do to winterize a cottage, no one I know puts antifreeze in the actual ice maker.

Is an rv ice maker different?
On a propane/ electric RV fridge, it's not the actual ice maker inside the freezer your winterizing, it's the water solenoid valve that feeds the ice maker, your winterizing. It's mounted on the back of the fridge, exposed to freezing temperatures.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
I completely agree about blowing the water, then using anti-freeze with an aquahot. If you have the large white plastic built in filters at a minimum remove and empty them because they flow out through the top - so air won't remove the water. If you don't you wind up diluting a lot of anti-freeze before you are running a pure mix.

One trick I do use is I blow out the water then run the anti-freeze, when I want to clear out the anti-freeze I blow it out and save it since it is pretty much pure, then run water. If you are running the big plastic filters you should remove and drain them again or your water will be part anti-freeze for days. I also find I don't get the anti-freeze taste and smell hanging around.

I don't run my ice maker so leave it winterized - I don't really trust the water in my tanks. I cheat and fill it with bought ice and use the dispenser.
We also do as you do and use bagged ice in most cases and it lasts for weeks.

Thanks for your input

Tags
winter