Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
wireless back up camera

Hi All,
We have a new to us 2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD. We moved up from a 1995 Class C Leprechaun. Its quite a leap and we love it.
The original back up camera only works sporadically. I took the coax wire off the back of the monitor and sprayed it with electric contact cleaner and it worked. Next day it didn't work.
I would like to replace it with a wireless back up camera just because of the ease of hoop up. I am looking at the RVS-2CAM.
It states in the ad,"Aluminum causes interference to the wireless connectivity. If you have an aluminum trailer, it's recommended to go with a wired system"

Has anybody installed a wireless camera on a HR, and what has the results been ?

Thanks
Dave and Patty
DaveandPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 03:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wireless Experience

My Monaco Dynasry came with a replacement wireless camera. Reception is dicey, at best. To get any kind of picture at all, we have to prop the rear closet mirror/door open; the foil-backed mirror blocks the signal.

Although the installation is a lot more work, I would definitely go hard wired. My wireless camera is practically useless.
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandPatty View Post
Hi All,
We have a new to us 2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD. We moved up from a 1995 Class C Leprechaun. Its quite a leap and we love it.
The original back up camera only works sporadically. I took the coax wire off the back of the monitor and sprayed it with electric contact cleaner and it worked. Next day it didn't work.
I would like to replace it with a wireless back up camera just because of the ease of hoop up. I am looking at the RVS-2CAM.
It states in the ad,"Aluminum causes interference to the wireless connectivity. If you have an aluminum trailer, it's recommended to go with a wired system"

Has anybody installed a wireless camera on a HR, and what has the results been ?

Thanks
Dave and Patty
Dave,

Wireless stuff is great most of the time but you will find there are often times when other devices operating in the same frequency range will cause interference. We have noticed many times that our tire pressure sensors will stop working when we are in a campground or at a rally. Finally figured out that the problem was interference from another source operating in the same frequency range.

The problem you are having with your backup camera is very common in Monaco coaches produced around the time when yours was. We have a 2006 Diplomat with the same exact problem. The original system is still installed but we only use it to monitor the towbar. It still has the same intermittent operation. We installed a second backup camera and ran a new cable system.

If you pull out your generator and crawl up into the cavity you will see there are several pipe chases that contain cable traveling down the center of the frame. They exit near the rear axle. You can extend a 25 foot electrician's snake from the rear thru one of the chases and pull the new cable down the chase. At the front you can find a convenient place to feed the cable to the dash. The rear is a little more difficult as you have to drill a hole thru the plywood bottom just above the radiator up into the void of the rear cap. By removing the original camera temporarily you can fish the cable up to the same location and mount the new camera just above the old camera.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #4

Hi Dave & Patty
Your monitor acts exactly like ours did. I worked and worked on that sucker and it would work for a while then fail. I even removed the connectors on both the camera and monitor soldered the wires together, and resoldered all of the circuit board connections. No long term luck.

I replaced my system with one I bought from Rearview Safety
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safet...a-systems.html
and I couldn't be happier. The image is crystal clear, and I can see from the towbar all the way back to several vehicles behind me. I can also see two lanes on the left and right. I did run a cable from the rear to the front, but that wasn't all that hard to do.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #5

Wireless

I tried a wireless system on a truck and trailer a few years ago. I would like to update my motor home system to a better camera mine is 2000.

I would not even look at a wireless system for the coach based on my experience with the wireless for the truck trailer combo.
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto on the wireless, unless they've gotten many times better in the last 3 years, I would run a wire !

Tags
camera