Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #1

Both Monaco and US gear advertise that late model Monaco products are pre wired for this braking system. That statement is a lot of half truths. Monaco provides a 6 pin Amp connector under the dash. To get the mate for that connector you must contact US Gear. That company has been sold and their parts are overpriced. How about over $30.00 for that connector. I did not have the time to hunt one down but I bet it is under $6.00 anywhere. Monaco should have provided it at no charge. When you buy new pickup truck they come with the leads for an electric brake control. To make matters worse Monaco has no standard for the wiring. Some units have different colors and some have the wires in a different location on the plug. The best part is they do not always install the same connector. Sometimes they wire in the male end . Other times they use the female. Of course on mine they used the wrong one . The end that US gear sent me was the same as the end under the dash. I had to cut the connector of and solder the wires together. Ask me if that is fun laying on a tile floor and reaching under the LH side of the dash. Monaco installed short wires. That sound you heard this morning was me cursing! This is a heads up for others who plan on installing that braking system.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #2

Both Monaco and US gear advertise that late model Monaco products are pre wired for this braking system. That statement is a lot of half truths. Monaco provides a 6 pin Amp connector under the dash. To get the mate for that connector you must contact US Gear. That company has been sold and their parts are overpriced. How about over $30.00 for that connector. I did not have the time to hunt one down but I bet it is under $6.00 anywhere. Monaco should have provided it at no charge. When you buy new pickup truck they come with the leads for an electric brake control. To make matters worse Monaco has no standard for the wiring. Some units have different colors and some have the wires in a different location on the plug. The best part is they do not always install the same connector. Sometimes they wire in the male end . Other times they use the female. Of course on mine they used the wrong one . The end that US gear sent me was the same as the end under the dash. I had to cut the connector of and solder the wires together. Ask me if that is fun laying on a tile floor and reaching under the LH side of the dash. Monaco installed short wires. That sound you heard this morning was me cursing! This is a heads up for others who plan on installing that braking system.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You're right, in fact I gave up trying to install the wiring and had my service tech install the whole US Gear braking package, (front to rear/including toad). Must admitt it's a real joy with no brake buddy to install each and every time. The system actually works better than I thought it would. OK, $30.00 bucks is a bit much, but you are drivng one of the best coaches "ever built", it's a Dynasty. So, $30.00 bucks/Top to the line RV Coach??? I remember the Air Force paying $300.00 for a hummer. DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #4

DocUSAF: The $30 charge was not from Monaco it was from US Gear. On that braking system there is a very small hairpin clip that fits under the dash on the roller guide. Any fastener store would just give you one as the invoice is worth more than the clip. I would guess under 25 cents. US Gear wants $5.00. If it is no big deal maybe you would like to send me the $30.00. After all you are driving a high end coach. N'est ce pas!!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If it is no big deal maybe you would like to send me the $30.00. After all you are driving a high end coach. N'est ce pas!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Moisheh, you're kidding right. A Knight against a Dynasty w/diamond 4, No-Way. I've got a low end Monaco and you're pushing a Caddy!. $30.00 dollars Oh sure, I'll get that 30 bucks to you right away!. DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote