RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #1

Worried-need help

Well, I purchased a new 2013 Monaco Knight 40DFT from LaMesa RV in Fort Myers, Fl. I decided after much investigation on this site that it made sense to carry spare oil, air, gas filters. I went to their parts dept to inquire about the pricing & the part numbers. They said they needed my VIN # which I told them is in their system because I bought the motorhome from them. I gave them a week & returned to find out what they had done. First they told me that because it was a Maxxforce10 they could only get the filters from International. I said fine just get me the pricing so we could get this done. Another week goes by & I return to find out again where they were at & they told me they gave the VIN# to the supplier & were told it was an invalid VIN#. What???????? I jokingly said did you guys sell me a clone. I am now concerned!!!! I told them they had better make sure the VIN# they used matched what was on the coach & then said what does all that matter anyway just get the parts numbers for a Maxxforce10 forget the VIN#. Does any of this make sense to any of you out there. Is there another route I should take?? Any response & help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #2

Whenever I buy parts for my rig the first thing they ask is the engine serial number (if a Caterpillar part) or the VIN (Freightliner) That part is normal

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperdan View Post
Well, I purchased a new 2013 Monaco Knight 40DFT from LaMesa RV in Fort Myers, Fl. I decided after much investigation on this site that it made sense to carry spare oil, air, gas filters. I went to their parts dept to inquire about the pricing & the part numbers. They said they needed my VIN # which I told them is in their system because I bought the motorhome from them. I gave them a week & returned to find out what they had done. First they told me that because it was a Maxxforce10 they could only get the filters from International. I said fine just get me the pricing so we could get this done. Another week goes by & I return to find out again where they were at & they told me they gave the VIN# to the supplier & were told it was an invalid VIN#. What???????? I jokingly said did you guys sell me a clone. I am now concerned!!!! I told them they had better make sure the VIN# they used matched what was on the coach & then said what does all that matter anyway just get the parts numbers for a Maxxforce10 forget the VIN#. Does any of this make sense to any of you out there. Is there another route I should take?? Any response & help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
RV dealers are the worst place to buy chassis parts. Their prices are high and their knowledge base is low. These guys obviously blew you off & no body checked on anything.

If it were me, I would get acquainted with my new coach and visually check each of the filters myself. There should be a filter number visible also. Monaco parts is a source of info and they should be able to tell you what you have. Carrying a spare set of fuel filters is most important as it's possible to get a bad tank of diesel and need an on the road filter change. Be aware that you may have 2 fuel filters. A spare oil filter is ok but not quite as necessary as oil changes are generally planned events. A spare air filter is over kill and they are pretty bulky. A set of belts is good insurances also.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #4

Being that this is a 'new' MH, you should have the manual for it. In the manual for our 2009 Diplomat, there is a section under 'engine' that has several part numbers for filters, belts and other items. Check to see if they are in your manual. If they are there shop around for replacement parts. It is better that you figure it out now rather then when you are on the road and really need them.
As has already been said get your parts from IH or a heavy duty truck shop.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I whole heartedly agree with the advice given, but just as a side bar when a lazy employee tries to shine me on my favorite trick is to say"Why don't we have this conversation in front of the sales/general manager so I need not repeat myself". Works most of the time unless of course the lazy employee is a clone of the low rent manager.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #6

parts

I have a 2006 Diplomat but the # in my manual for my belts are all wrong!!!! but they may have caught that mistake by now!!!! I usually buy all my parts from Ryders truck parts on line they have save me a lot of money, when I cross check prices and sometimes shipping is free ------Good Luck with Your New RV!!!!

Steve
SPA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

I usually try and get numbers off the actual parts. These can easily be cross referenced to other brands that you may prefer or at least get you the exact replacement. Manuals, catalogs and even the Internet can be wrong sometimes.

You might want to physically check your VIN to make sure it matches your registration and insurance. Easy to type a wrong digit when entering it on a keyboard.

And please never buy chassis parts from an RV dealer.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapperdan View Post

Dan
Go here and tell them the type engine you have:
http://www.wallaceinternational.com/

Sometimes it is best to look at the filters installed and see what the numbers are on them. A place like the truck dealer above can cross reference them to Fleetguard, etc.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #9

Thanks

Thanks everybody for your comments & suggestions. It just boggles my mind why any dealer you buy an RV from would not want to keep you as a customer. Poor service is the downfall of many businesses. OH WELL!! My attitude now is SEE YA!!!!

Dan
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #10

I have a 2011 Knight with Maxxforce 10. The oil filter and primary fuel filter have Fram, Cummings, Napa and other exact replacements. I'm not sure about the secondary fuel filter. I crawled under and got the part number off the belt. The only way I know of to get the correct replacement as the motor manufacturer does not necessarily furnish the fan and belt assembly.

wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help