Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKat View Post
How firm is a firm ride in a MH? would electronics need to be specially stored?
We have the RR8R frame with 15,000 miles under our belts - nothing is ever stowed/tied down - nothing moves - ever! Not so much as a door has ever opened. Computers on tables do not move. They may become missiles in the event of a head on crash but with only a fiberglass shell and a few instruments in front to "protect" you (assuming a DP), missiles would be a minor inconvenience.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #16

Used Monaco Windsor purchased Feb 2011

In the central part of the US where I live, it is hard to find good values in used Diesel motor homes. All the manufacturers you mentioned build good products and it would depend on the age, care and current condition of the RV before I would buy. I happened by chance to purchase a Monaco Windsor this time back in February from a local dealer and I am very satisfied and would do it again. I was previously owner of two Fleetwood motor homes and had reasonably good luck with them, however they were both gas coaches and did not perform as well as the diesel. Owning a motor home requires a commitment of time and money to keep them operating effectively. Best of luck.
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #17

We could NOT be Happier

1999 Monaco Signature

Stored inside sense new
Never winterized as the storage was heated
450 Cummings purrrrrs all day long

for assurance we installed All new batteries
All fluids and filters, Lube job refreshed and new.
the tires are good and she rides Like a ????? better than a Buick or Lexus

Trip's to N.J. Two times, West Virginia and Tenn. were a delight this fall.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #18

Curious, I have a 1999 Sig also, 40 Signature slide single rear axle (no tag) with the 450 Cummins. I also am happy!
Wonder if we have the same coach
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
We could NOT be Happier

1999 Monaco Signature

Stored inside sense new
Never winterized as the storage was heated
450 Cummings purrrrrs all day long

for assurance we installed All new batteries
All fluids and filters, Lube job refreshed and new.
the tires are good and she rides Like a ????? better than a Buick or Lexus

Trip's to N.J. Two times, West Virginia and Tenn. were a delight this fall.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 2009 Monaco Cayman after 10 years in a Rexhall Aerbus. I tried a 2008 Kountry star for a weekend and prefer the layout, fit & finish of the Monaco.

Yes, I know, they went bankrupt but who cares the warranty is only 1 year on mostly everything.

So, I paid less, loves it and will do many modifications/improvements in it but I'm very satisfied with the support I receive from Monaco and the folks on iRV2.

Good luck in your search.
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Smoooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post

Once the decision was made to give it a shot we rode in or test drove several MH . I drove a Spartan, then a Freighliner, then the Roadmaster... I have to say, not to beat up on anyone products but the Spartan rode better than the Freightliner and the Roadmaster kicked those two's butts.
I'm with you all the way! While I love the way my Spartan rides, like its on rails and virtually invulnerable to gusts; but the Roadmaster is superior. The three Roadmasters I tested actually felt just as nice as a 15 year old Prevost I recently drove.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Curious, I have a 1999 Sig also, 40 Signature slide single rear axle (no tag) with the 450 Cummins. I also am happy!
Wonder if we have the same coach
Windecker
iRV2 Forums - View Profile: John Haggard

42, with tag

10 air bags

other than that. it is the same coach Windecker

and 10 new kohni shocks
Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #22

I can honestly say I can't see the need for shocks so please tell me, did you notice some sort of difference after the change, if so what?
Thanks
Windecker
P.S. you have a center entrance door, I like those!

Quote:
iRV2 Forums - View Profile: John Haggard

42, with tag

10 air bags

other than that. it is the same coach Windecker

and 10 new kohni shocks
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by mythplaced

They (Monaco LLC) have tacitly accepted acknowledgement of the presence of this defect by producing a more "robust" replacement arm...And I'm sure of several customer complaints received as well...

By terms of the assets acquisition, they (MonacoLLC or Navistar) do not "have" to do anything to repair the acknowledged defect....BUT

Am I alone in thinking that they have a "moral", "ethical", or at minimum, "customer satisfaction" responsibility to warn the owners of these chassis, that at any time their trailing arms might break and cause significant damage to their RV (at minimum) or even break and cause the driver to lose control and be killed??? (worst case)

They have the records of ownership and could easily notify all owners of record...

To not do so (a $0.45 stamp) is reprehensible and morally criminal, in my opinion.

I can hear the arguement in court right now...

"The plaintiff acknowledges to the court that Monaco LLC has no fiduciary responsibility to correct product defects from products manufacted prior to the aquisition of Monaco, by Monaco LLC,

but Do you mean to tell me Mr. X, that your company had in its posession:
  • the knowledge of this defect,
  • the knowledge of a way to correct the defect,
  • the name and contact information of the victim,
and your company did NOTHING to warn the victim of the imminent dangers present?"

I would not by a light bulb from this company. They are complete SCUMM!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the post from Neptunes reflect someone who bought a coach with trailing arm problems. But before he condemns the new Monaco he should look into the facts. the Old Monaco did issue a recall notice in 2005 to owners of record of 2002 to 2005 coaches with the suspect trailing arms. With just one Google inquire I was able to pull up a lot of data on the trailing arms so if a buyer of a used coach did due diligence he would know about the issue. Here is a link to a Navistar tech tip on the trailing arms issue.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I have an 06 purchased before this issue came to light.
Pure and simple, Monaco declared bankruptcy to avoid liability and a massive recall. Same company as before, just a new name.
The navistar tech tip on this issue is a joke. Anyone who believes that bull, please contact me as I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
They are not the same company at all. Navistar is the company behind the New Monaco and they are in no way associated with the old Monaco.

CHEERS
Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #27

Quote:
I can honestly say I can't see the need for shocks so please tell me, did you notice some sort of difference after the change, if so what?
Thanks
Windecker
P.S. you have a center entrance door, I like those!
yes, the side entrance door allows us to enter on the granite in the kitchen area. so for bringing in groceries and such. a nice set up for sure.

the shocks. ? 99,000 miles
she rides great.
But I am an update maintenance guy.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #28

Thanks John, I am an airplane mechanic so I understand the whole maintenance thing
If I am lucky enough to survive this economy I hope to upgrade to a newer coach with the side door down the road. Not really fond of having a 1999 model year coach but it was just such a nice coach for the money it made perfect sense. Now I don't want anything other than a Sig, IE spoiled!

As per this discussion, once you have one and notice all the little things Monaco did, then look at replacing it with something else, you will find a lot of, well lesser quality "things" in them. Not saying there are not wonderful coaches made by others, just saying it is tough to beat the Monaco. Depends on your standards and what you have to spend I guess.
Windecker
P.S. They ALL break and need service.

Quote:
yes, the side entrance door allows us to enter on the granite in the kitchen area. so for bringing in groceries and such. a nice set up for sure.

the shocks. ? 99,000 miles
she rides great.
But I am an update maintenance guy.

Tags
monaco