RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
In my Knight, it came with the magnadyne and sirius reciever, so I use that and it works fine.

I do have a snap though, and I like it a lot. very portable and it works just fine.
As was stated above, the standard modulated FM output is crap.

In my silverado, I use a thing that fits into the cassette deck. This works very well, with just a little hiss.

In my jeep, I use an FM Direct adapter Sirius FM Direct Adapter - Car FM modulator#
This plugs inbetween the antenna cable and the dash radio, and it completely overcomes the inherent faults in the fm output. Works great.

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I have an Iphone app that I use. there is one for the Android, also. I connect with blutooth, but you can also use the audio out jack on your phone. Your radio would have to have an audio in.

Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #17

HI STEVEPKAM...IT IS REAL EASY TO GET TO THE BACK OF MY RADIO. I JUST PULL IT OUT WHICH IS VERY EASY....WHY WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN MIND???

I HAVE TRIED THE FM DIRECT MOLULE THAT GOES BETWEEN THE CAR RADIO ANTENNA AND THE RADIO THE ONE THAT JIMM68 MENTIONED ABOVE. IT THEN PLUGS INTO THE RADIO. THE PROBLEM WITH THAT IS ALL THAT COMES UP ON THE SCREEN IS...ANTENNA NOT DETECTED..BUT IT IS CONNECTED TO THE CAR/MOTORHOME RADIO ANTENNA..THE RADIO WORKS BUT NOT THE SIRRIUS RADIO. I AM GOING TO TRY AND USE THE MAG. ANTENNA AND LET IT SIT ON THE DASH AND SEE IF THAT WORKS. I BOUGHT THE FM DIRECT MODULE HOPING THAT I COULD USE THE CAR ANTENNA BUT NO SUCH LUCK..

THX
TED
Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
HI STEVEPKAM...IT IS REAL EASY TO GET TO THE BACK OF MY RADIO. I JUST PULL IT OUT WHICH IS VERY EASY....WHY WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN MIND???

I HAVE TRIED THE FM DIRECT MOLULE THAT GOES BETWEEN THE CAR RADIO ANTENNA AND THE RADIO THE ONE THAT JIMM68 MENTIONED ABOVE. IT THEN PLUGS INTO THE RADIO. THE PROBLEM WITH THAT IS ALL THAT COMES UP ON THE SCREEN IS...ANTENNA NOT DETECTED..BUT IT IS CONNECTED TO THE CAR/MOTORHOME RADIO ANTENNA..THE RADIO WORKS BUT NOT THE SIRRIUS RADIO. I AM GOING TO TRY AND USE THE MAG. ANTENNA AND LET IT SIT ON THE DASH AND SEE IF THAT WORKS. I BOUGHT THE FM DIRECT MODULE HOPING THAT I COULD USE THE CAR ANTENNA BUT NO SUCH LUCK..

THX
TED
The FM direct module doesn't replace the satelite antenna, you still need that.

The FM direct connects to the FM out on your satelite radio, plugs into the antenna jack of the factory radio, and the antenna plugs into it.

When the satelite radio is on, the direct adapter "cuts off" the antenna, so the dash radio only gets the satelite output. you still have to set an FM freq on the sat radio, and a matching freq on the dash radio, but you won't get any interference at all ever.

When you want to listen to real FM, just turn off the sat radio, the direct adapter becomes invisible and your radio works fine.

Again, you still need the separate satelite radio antenna.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #19

Thanks JimM68...that info was exactly what I was looking for. Even in the instructions of the direct adaptor it does not say ....use the sat. radio antenna..as well. Looks like I will have the 50' and 60's tunes for my next trip...yahoo....

Thx
Ted
Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Stevepkam......On my roof, there are two antennas. The one over the driver is the radio, the one in the center is for the CB. I got lousy reception too. On mine the rubber antenna screws on. I removed it and went to an auto parts store and bought an antenna assembly where the mast is about 12" long with a coil base. I screwed the new mast onto the Monaco mount and resolved my reception issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
Thanks JimM68...

Thx
Ted
Yer most welcome Ted.
Mine is just welded to channel 90, Sirius Nascar all the time!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #22

I've been wanting to add Sirius and upgrade the system for quite a while. This thread and Rob Morgan's website finally motivated me to order the Magnadyne M1 LCD today, Sirius box and Ipod cable. I'm getting anxious to finally have better tunes in the coach.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
I have used the XM Commander for several years, and am very happy with it for the relatively low cost. It feeds like an FM direct between the antenna lead and your existing radio. It then plays thru an FM frequency you select on your existing radio. A separate faceplate for selecting your XM channel, and a small XM antenna which I glued on my fiberglass roof. Easy install, and removal later when you upgrade motorhomes later!
Audiovox Commander MT XM Satellite Radio Receiver | eBay
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No matter how you make it work, we love having XM in the coach. Everywhere we go we get great radio. We're Country fans, but occasionally we turn to the 60's, 70's or 80's and when the wife doses off.....I turn on some comedy. To me, it's worth the few dollars a month.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Install Update

Installed the "ONYX" yesterday. $47.00 from Walmart with car kit. Used splitter to connect to "Aux 1" RCA inputs which are on the back of the Magnadine(two sets Aux 1 & 2). Must buy splitter cable separate.

Added to current XM account for $8.99 a month.

Fished the antenna up the passenger side "A" post to compartment adjacent to TV. Will try moving the antenna around under front cap to see if I can get sufficient reception under the front cap to prevent drilling through roof. Thanks Don.

Bought second "car kit" to install in dingy(jeep) so we can take "ONYX" back and forth.

Using 3M removable "Command Strips" to play with mounting location until we are sure where we want it on dashboards(MH & Jeep).

So far, so good...
Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I use a portable xm radio in my 05 Ambassador. I put the antenna under the front cap, behind the tv, and I would lose signal when headed north. My MH has aluminum roof and satalite dome. I think the roof and the dome were blocking the signal. I cemented a metal washer on the top of my satalite dome, ran the antenna wire through the same hole used by the wires connecting the dome. Was not hard to fish the wire down inside the MH and to the receiver. Have not made a long trip yet, but feel I will have much better signal.

roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio